“London trip” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Euro Hotel
Ranked #444 of 1,086 Hotels in London
“London trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

Good location, a block from San Pancras Eurostar station. The staff is helful and friendly, I can leave my luggage at 8AM and come back to check in late. The room is clean, good hot water and working air conditioner. We have nice view at the Tennis court in front of the hotelWe have enough towels for 3 nights and they clean the room every day. The breakfast is good. You can have lunch or dinner at the Russel square with short walking distance. You can also walk to the British museum, a must to see in one day. If you buy Hoop in original sightseeing bus (48 hrs), you can get in this bus, line3 in front of Royal hotel nearby. I you want to take the tube, the King cross is just one block in front of the San Pancras train station.
I defenitely come back if I visit London.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bien5529

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

My kids and stayed for one night. Although we checked in in the afternoon, it was not until after midnight that we returned to our room and attempted to use the TV and Internet. TV reception was terrible (ended up just going to sleep) and we were unable to log on to the internet. My kids are in their early 20s and we are all computer savvy. It was not an issue of not knowing how to login.

The reception desk closes at 11pm and there are no clear instructions as to what to do after hours if you have a problem. Without internet, I was unable to book a train ticket that night and as a result, when I finally was able to use the hotel's public computer the next day, the ticket had increased by 10 pounds.

Upon checking out, I relayed what happened and that I was merely asking for a 10 pound refund on my room to compensate for the internet problem, although between the TV and Internet issues, I should have asked for more. Long and short, they told me "too bad". They said I should have contacted them to report the problem. When I told them there were no clear instructions as to what to do after hours, they merely shrugged their shoulders, making it very clear that they really couldn't care less.

I am a sales person and customer service is paramount. If the customer is unhappy and you can do something to make them happy that doesn't cost you too much, you do it. You end up with a happy customer. Their shortsightedness in this instance was stunning. Had they given me the 10 pounds, I would have written a glowing review about how they handled the situation. Instead, they are receiving a glowering review.

I said to them, in the age of Trip Advisor, are you really going to handle this this way? Again, I got that wonderful shrug of the shoulders/we couldn't care less. Sadly this was the end of our trip in England and it really ended things on a very sour note. This was something I expressed to them as well. And again, a shrug of the shoulder/we really couldn't care less that our trip was going to end this way due to their poor customer service.

I travel quite a bit both for business and pleasure and I am constantly recommending places. Not only will I NOT recommend the Euro Hotel but if I hear of anyone going to London, I will make sure to advise NOT to stay at this hotel. My recommendation...DON'T STAY HERE. They really couldn't care less about their guests.

I expect that they will reply to this review stating that had I notified them at midnight, they would have corrected the problem. My response...first off, again, when a reception area is not open 24 hours, there should be explicit instructions as to what to do should you need assistance - there are no such instructions in the room, and secondly, regardless, I came to them with a very modest request given my troubles and as they say in the UK, "they just couldn't be bothered".

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank mindymakg
EuroHotelManager, Manager at The Euro Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2012
On checkout this guest threatened that if she did not receive a 10% discount she would post an adverse report on Tripadvisor which she has done.

We do not operate a full time reception desk but details of how to contact the reception staff overnight are posted clearly on the back of each door and in the Guest Information Folder which is in each room. This information was available in this guest's room. The overnight receptionist was contacted twice on the night in question by another guest who read this information and whose requests for assistance were answered immediately.

We have a full time handyman who was able to remedy the problem with the television in a couple of seconds. One of the aerial cables at the back of the TV had become slightly detatched. The handyman helped the guest in the morning when she complained that the hairdryer did not work by showing her the on/off safety switch at the base of the unit.

We cannot explain why this guest could not access the internet. The guests in the adjoining rooms and the staff who have accommodation nearby had absolutely no problem. Although this reviewer states that her children are computer literate they may have failed to enter correctly the access codes given to them on check in.
Ayr, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

I stayed 3 nights from 5th.December 2012. It is 5 minutes walk from Russell Square Station and 12 mins from Euston Station.
I have seldom met such sincere staff. Genuine smiles were very welcome. The receptionist in particular was most helpful as was the porter with my heavy case.The staff were a happy team.
Breakfast excellent. Bed comfortable, room warm and quiet. Very high standard of cleanlieness everywhere.
Plenty of choice of eating places nearby and beautiful shops at The Brunswick centre 5 minutes walk away.
Increadable value for money.
The vast majority of guests were over 45 years and all were quiet, mannerly people who obviously had taste and recognised a real home from home.

Room Tip: If you have a problem with stairs do book a room on the ground floor. The porter will happily take y...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Tiamariarosie
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

Good location in a student suburb of London. Rooms decent quality which are comfortable and clean. Note free breakfast with your room! Service was amazing with the team there very happy to help and were responsible for making our stay excellent.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Ben W
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

Chose this hotel for its close proximity to St Pancras station which was only a 10 - 15 min walk away and also in a back street away from the main road. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff very helpful. As we had a triple room off the main street the noise was not a problem. The only negative was the lack of a small lift to get to the upper floors with heavy suitcases. This was easily overcome by having 1 person lifting the suitcase at each end thereby decreasing the risk of a back strain.
There is also a laundromat within a 5 min walk for guests who are staying a few days. The complimentary breakfast was sufficient for good start to the day. Overall this was a reasonably priced hotel for its location to St Pancras.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ron I
Delta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stayed here for six nights while in London in late October - early November. The Euro Hotel lived up to the promise as noted by previous travellers on trip advisor and then some. The proximity to St. Pancras Station, the British Library, the British Museum and a number of underground stations was closer than anticipated. Also the hotel is within easy walking distance of the theatre district. Our room was on the first floor and having a recent hip replacement found this was no impediment. The room faced onto Cartwright Gardens and the park and tennis courts. The staff was friendly and the english breakfast was of sufficient quantity that little food was required until later in the day. In any future visits to London we plan to stay at the Euro Hotel and highly recommend those travellers seeking an excellent location and good value.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple