“Location, Price, Service, Noise”
Review of The Euro Hotel

The Euro Hotel
Ranked #446 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This hotel covers all of the bases; located just 5 minutes walk from both Kings Cross/St Pancras and Euston it offers quality service at an enviably affordable price. I was very impressed with the friendly welcome as well as the efficient check-in and room that I was allocated on the second floor was clean and comfortable with a view of the gardens. The shared facilities were all reasonably clean (although situated some distance from my room) and the communal areas were all very well appointed.

WiFi was available in all areas and TVs were on a timer to turn off after midnight in order not to disturb other guests. Breakfast in the morning was freshly cooked and offered plenty of options and the hotel accepts a wide variety of different credit cards, convenient for international guests. For a one night weekend stay this place ticked all of the boxes for me, the only downside was the amount of noise coming from the street throughout the night, mainly due to guests and other residents returning late - I didn't get a great nights sleep but it was a Saturday night in London and since the hotel apparently had no double glazing I frankly wasn't expecting to.

Overall this is an ideal option for anybody looking for a convenient location in England's overrated capital at something resembling an affordable price. Together with a high level of professional service I reckon this option may be a keeper...If I need to stay in London again then I'll consider heading in this direction.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MRonaldSmith

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Yes, we are a small school group, and they flat out refused us no questions asked. I tried to reason with them, but they claimed they'd had problems in the past. I'm not questioning they're previous experiences with school groups, but it does seem rather simple for a hotel to state up front "one screw up and you're out of here".

If a hotel gave me an ultimatum like that, and I was responsible for a group of potentially raucous students, I would probably choose somewhere else. However, after having lead several small student groups of handpicked kids successfully throughout Europe, I know how to handle a group.

What prompted this review was the rather cheeky response from the hotel manager about how she was sure my kids were "little angels", but other kids were not. No, my kids aren't little angels, but as a chaperone I know how to do my job well, and it's unfortunate that others do not.

But the email conversation with this particular hotel just left a bad taste in my mouth. Interestingly we had just stayed the previous year at a much nicer and much more expensive hotel than this one and guess what...we had NO problems, NO complaints and several compliments from the hotel on the behavior of our students.

If you don't want school groups why don't you just clearly state that on your website.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank tmynatt
EuroHotelManager, Manager at The Euro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

We are sorry that your request for accommodation was rejected but we have to think of our other guests and we had a bad experience in the past with school age children - also under the supervision of senior teaching staff. This group trashed a room and gave fellow guests a sleepless night. We were not in a position to judge in advance that your students would be so well chaperoned by you that they would cause no inconvenience to other guests.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

The location is good, handy for Kings Cross station and very quiet. There are plenty of eateries in easy walking distance. We only stayed one night and left early so cannot comment on the breakfast. Staff were polite. The décor is tired and basic, with very small rooms but a pleasant outlook from tall French windows. There is no lift and no-one to help with lugging bags upstairs. The whole street seems to be small hotels. I did expect more for the price but London is expensive.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem ask for a room on the ground floor as there is no lift.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed here 18 months ago so decided to stay again because it is very convenient to St Pancras Station and the Eurostar.

The welcome was still friendly and the breakfast was great; well cooked and well presented, but I don't understand why, when they knew our ages (late 60s), they gave us a second floor room this time around. The bed was hard and the street noise was a problem as it was hot and stuffy and we needed the windows open (slightly) as this hotel is not airconditioned.

I still think this establishment is good value for money but I'll be more specific about my requirements in future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
EuroHotelManager, Manager at The Euro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for your kind review. Please do contact us directly when you are coming again so that we can give you a room which suits you perfectly.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I often stay here - it is a great place to stay - ok - not five star, but the staff are helpful, it is clean, and a good breakfast - overall brilliant

Good location for the tube - Kings Cross - Farrnindgon - and so on!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We had a nice welcome with an offer of free coffee in the breakfast room on arrival. We had help to get our rather heavy cases up to our first floor room overlooking the tennis court and trees. Our French windows opened easily (not always the case in some hotels) and we found plenty of places to eat nearby. The bedroom was clean,comfortable, and provided a good night's sleep. Breakfast was good and efficiently provided by the waitresses. All in all a good experience, an easy walk to St Pancras the next morning, and we would definitely return here again.

Room Tip: First floor overlooking the front.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I read the reviews on here, and was in two minds about booking, but at the price I thought it was worth a punt.

The hotel is only a few minutes walk from Euston and Kings Cross/St Pancras. I arrived after 21:00, and the receptionist was very friendly, even when I went back for the WiFi code, which I hadn't noticed on the desk in my room.

I was in a room with a shared bathroom and toilet, which the booking said was with a maximum of two other people, but I saw neither of them, either in the evening or the following morning.

Yes, you do hear people walking about upstairs, but then you get that in modern travel lodges, but I could have done without the person in the room above mine getting up at 03:45, presumably to catch an early flight.

The room was very warm, despite it being a cold night, which was odd as the radiator was not on, and I had to keep the window slightly open, which meant I did hear the sirens on the Euston Road, but there are few places in the area where you don't.

There was some noise from the student accommodation across the gardens, but they calmed down after 23:00 and did not disturb me. The bed had old-fashioned sheets and blankets, none of this modern duvet business.

The breakfast was very good, there were plenty of staff on duty, and they were friendly and attentive. I think my only minor gripe was that there were no individual milk jugs, which meant repeated visits to the cereal bar for each fresh cup of tea.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo