“Budget hotel”

Ranked #638 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Toronto, Canada
“Budget hotel”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I was traveling with my sister and only needed accommodations for two nights in the Victoria area - the location is the hotel's best feature. The rooms are small, which we were prepared for, but we felt like we were tripping over each other getting ready in the mornings. Our room was also on the top floor, which meant a lot of stairs to get to the room - luckily we were traveling with backpacks but I could imagine some serious struggles with a large suitcase. No area is particularly clean, so I was skeptical of the true cleanliness of the washroom. The beds were not comfortable, and earplugs are recommended to help block out the noises of people going up and down the stairs and opening and closing doors as well as the noise coming from the street. The breakfast is nothing special - cereal, yogurt, milk, white toast, coffee/tea and juice - though the juice machine wasn't working and we had to wait until someone went to the store to purchase juice in the morning. The front desk staff were nice, but not incredibly helpful. One morning I came downstairs to find the receptionist asleep at the desk and when he awoke he wasn't very knowledgeable about the surrounding area. The complimentary wifi is deceiving - only basic internet (only email access and messaging worked) was provided though you could purchase full internet access. Overall, it was okay for two nights, but we were so happy to leave and enjoy better accommodations at our next location. Only recommended for the budget traveler wanting a private room rather than shared hostel space.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
The guest has booked the cheapest room with Double bed, Flat screen colour tv, hairdryer, coffee bar and shower in the room which is located on 3rd floor and not on the 5th floor as described by the guest. We are inspected every year by the Visit England and we have fire inspections carried out throughout the year. It has been clearly advertise that WIFI is available throughout the hotel and charges apply. We have not smoking policy throughout the building. We cannot control smoking outside the hotel building. We are running this hotel for more than 20 years. If the guest has said was correct, we would be out of business by now. We provide clean and comfortable rooms at a very reasonable price in the heart of the London

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
S-Wales
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Me and my wife weren't expecting too much of this hotel but was told by lastmin.com that this was a 3star Hotel. We are not stuck up or posh we always stay at 2-3 star hotels and never seen anything like this before.
Firstly this is not a hotel, it should be classed as a B&B. Check in was fine. Staff polite. gave details of breakfast time etc. We had room 25 on the first floor. As we walked up to our room we noticed that the lower half of walls were carpeted. Yes thats right walls carpeted!
Room was small but thats expected. Very shabby in need of a lick of paint and some new furnishings.The bathroom is laughable. Its basically an old cupboard that they have fitted a shower in, toilet and wash basin. I understand space is limited but it just dosent cut it i'm afraid.
We checked in at 6 and had theatre tickets for 7.30pm so we were in a rush to get out. I went to make a cup of tea while my wife got ready and noticed the kettle didnt work. I thought I would mention it to staff on out way out. However when i went to charge up my phone I noticed that didnt work either. There was no power to any of the sockets. As we were in a rush leaving I forgot to mention it at reception.
However on our return I told the man at reception the problem. He told me there was nothing he could to now and to report it in the morning. We were happy to do this until we realised, upon returning to our room, that our phones desperately needed charging. So i returned to reception and he agreed to take a look. The trip switch (located in the hall) was off and he flicked it back on. Great we thought, until I plugged in the charger and it blew up in my face! The plug pins were still in the socket, sparks flying, everything black, including my hands. Luckily I was ok. Just shook up, could have been a lot worse.
My wife ran back down to reception. The man came up and just looked at the socket and basically did not know what to do. We requested a change of room because obviously it was not safe. To be honest I wanted to get the hell out of there. We were told there were no more rooms and when we requested a refund he amazingly found another room!
Unsurprisingly my wife and I did not sleep well at all. Half expected the place to catch on fire! The bars on the windows didnt help and also the fact that the window did not close properly added to it.
Onto breakfast. It is not a full continental breakfast. Honestly would you constitute 3 pieces of toast and some cereal with warm milk a full continental breakfast? oh and the warm yogurts left on the table. However I wouldnt call them tables, they are actually cheap plastic patio sets in a tiny room - not at all spacious as described.
After breakfast we went to check out and wanted to make a formal complaint. Only to be told by a different member of staff to basically prove that it was their socket that caused it. He was rude, not one apology, he looked bored to be honest. not at all helpful. I asked what he was going to do about it and he said he would get his electrician to look at the socket to determine fault. I will tell you now that I have used the very same charger at my house for 4 months without a problem. My children use it to charge their Ipods, my wife and I charge our Iphones and Ipad with it. Never a problem. We were offered a £10 refund by this member of staff. Which I refused.
I informed them i would be contacting my solicitor and they would nt give the socket as its their property. I took photographs and had a signed declaration from that member of staff that the socket can be passed to my solicitor for testing.
Now I have read some reviews on here and the responses from the hotel and I am shocked that the hotel has been so rude and dont seem to take any responsibility for their actions. For me an apology would have been a good start but i did not even get that.
I am afraid its only a matter of time that some one could get seriously hurt if these issues are not addressed. The place needs rewiring. Wish I read the reviews before I booked. Please for your safety do not go!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank S_WalesDavidParnell
DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
This guest has basically exaggerated everything. They came to the hotel with a faulty charger and now want to blame every thing on the hotel. We changed their room and even offered to pay for a new charger but all he wanted was a full refund and a free stay.

On numerous occasion he threatened us that he will post a bad review on TripAdvisor if he does not get a full refund.

We take the health & safety issues very seriously indeed and the hotel wiring and all its appliances are tested every year and we have got a clean bill of health every time.

It is not worth commenting on the other issues expect to say that they wanted a free stay and we were not prepared to be blackmailed.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Dublin
Reviewed 19 July 2013

l stayed here last week with my 10 year old daughter for four nights and was very happy. The room was small (as expected from previous reviews) but it was comfortable and absolutely spotless. We were in London to see the sights and the room was perfect for us. The staff are so nice and helpful. We dealt a lot with Luci and he was a fantastic help to us with everything such a lovely friendly young man. We had a room in the back and it was very quiet at night time which was another bonus. The hotel is about five minutes from Victoria and only a few tube stops to all the main sights. lf you want a good clean budget hotel and save your money for food and shopping then stay here. if you want more then pay double elsewhere.Well done to all at the Dover Hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wanday
DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thanks for your review.We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We provide very comfortable rooms at very reasonable price in the heart of London. We are just few minutes walk from all the major attractions. We hope to see you soon.
Sarawak, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We stayed in a family room for three nights in this hotel. The receptionist are very friendly and ready to assist us with our request.the hotel is just 10 mins walk from Victoria station. The area is quite far from the city noise and quite surrounding... We already expected the room is small based on others review before we check in so we were emotionally and mentally ready when it come to small space toilet. However the room is very clean and everything we need were there, boiler, hair dryer, etc except for iron, we need to request it. Only one comment is we can hear the steps, and whenever people replace their chair or whatever next to us or stay upstairs.... The breakfast was quite simple and need to wait for others to finish their meal because of the limited space at the dining area... However, for those who go for a budget hotel I think it's worth for a stay.

• Stayed May 2013
DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
We take this opportunity to thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you soon again.
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Stayed here for 1 night as a solo traveller. I booked with the hotel and on talking to other visitors, had paid more than them. However, my basement room, although small with a very tiny shower room was extremely quiet and airy. The room was very clean and the bed really comfortable , the staff were most pleasant. It was a very good option for a quick visit to London

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Boyes R
DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
We take this opportunity to thank you for reviewing and staying with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We provide clean and comfortable rooms at very seasonable price.
West Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My wife, daughter, and I stayed here for 8 nights. The rooms are small, and the bathrooms are tiny, but it was clean, the beds were comfortable, the TV worked, and it offered us a great location. If you would rather spend your money on fun stuff (sight seeing, food, drink, etc), then this is the perfect hotel for the budget conscious.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Arthur R
DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
We take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us and your generous praised for our hotel.
We hope to see you soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My Wife and I stayed for two nights a week ago, in order to visit the Chelsea Flower Show. The location is good - a short walk from Victoria station/ Underground in a nice locality. We had the option of Basement or 3rd Floor Room, and chose the latter; accessible by a narrow, awkward stair (especially with luggage) - there is no optional lift! The Bedroom/ Toilet was 'compact', clean and tidy but functional; provided with fresh towels daily; Yale lock but no secure double-lock. Everything worked fine - TV, Kettle, Shower, Window opening. Instructions were clearly posted. Continental Breakfast in Basement from 7.30 hrs was acceptably good. All Staff were polite and helpful during the stay.
Overall our assessment would be Good Experience, but slightly overpriced for the facilities.

Room Tip: Intermittent drone from (plumbing?) Motor, from waking until late at night. Prefer lower floors to...