“A friendly little budget hotel.”
Review of The Dover Hotel

The Dover Hotel
Ranked #638 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Winchester, United Kingdom
“A friendly little budget hotel.”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I do feel guilty about being critical about this hotel as the staff have tried their best. They were kind and attentive. It is a budget hotel so you get what you pay for. Sheets and towels freshly laundered. Good supply of tea and coffee.

Breakfast starts too late at 7:30 most of the day is done. If you want to be in the area ok place to stay, but no frills.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Adrian H
DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for your response.

Over the years we have come to the conclusion that for the vast majority of our guests in the hotel of our size, our breakfast time of 7.30 to 10.30 am is ideally suited to them and hence we have kept that time.

We have provided tea and coffee facilities in the room for those who leave the hotel early.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I had to stay one night at this hotel as it is close to the places I wanted to visit in December , The hotel was little expensive compared to other hotels , also it's rooms are very tight , I was single in the room , and it looks very tight for one person Specially the bathroom !! I checked in, went to the room , and then found no internet access which was offered for free at the hotel , went back to the receptionist and he said it is a problem that he can not deal with , and the engineer is not coming until tomorrow morning , and he did not try to help at all , he did not even feel sorry that , was like normal to happen !! then I went with anther guest at the hotel needed the internet to Mcdonalds to use their internet ..

Was good that they kept my bag in the next day after I checked out till late time at the day.
They have a great location but they have to provide better services !! It was okay but the internet point made it bad experience with the place .

Room Tip: second floor , overlooking the street
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
We thank you for taking the time to write the response. Our internet supplier's server was unfortunately down on that day and we did mention that to all our guests. We also offered them two alternative sources where they could get free internet.

We can not control when the servers will break down but at least, as part of our our service, we do recommend alternatives.

We pride on our friendly service in an excellent location at reasonable prices and the vast majority of our guests are happy with that.
Tucson
Reviewed 9 January 2014

It was small but the whole street was converted row houses. We had two comfortable twin beds in our room and managed. The bathroom was very small but it made us laugh. We had breakfast in the basement and it got us on our way. We were very close to Victoria Station which made it great for us coming in and leaving London. We found George's Tavern down the street which suited us nicely. It was close to the Hop on Hop off bus which we used for two days. The front desk was always helpful. Wi-Fi was quite usable. We needed a first floor room and it was waiting for us. When you are using a space to primarily sleep in what is really necessary?

Room Tip: Converted homes rarely have elevators. Request first floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ivypoison
Many thanks for your kind word and highlighting the positive points of our hotel.

We are very centrally located and have tried to maintain a good balance between space and the facilities that our clients want in the old Victorian buildings in Central London.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed at the Dover Hotel the week before Christmas and paid £45 for a single room. Yes, the rooms are small, but this is standard for London and would be expected in a hotel double this price. The bed was very comfortable, the guys at reception were very helpful and friendly, the wifi signal was strong and consistent, the room was comfortably warm but also had fully opening window and patio door, and the bathroom and bedding were clean. Reception was 24 hours and I felt completely safe walking the 2 minutes down the road from Victoria station.

No, this is not the best hotel I have ever stayed in, but I give this place 5 stars as finding a room for less than £100 in such a great zone 1 location which is clean, warm, safe and comfortable is a very difficult task as anyone who knows London should be aware. If you require a spacious room and 5* amenities, you won't find it for anywhere near this price (from my experience at least). Great value for money and will go back if I'm traveling on a budget again in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rachel175
DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
We take this opportunity to thank you for your kind praise for our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We provide clean and comfortable room in the hear of London at very reasonable rate. We hope to see you soon again.
solihull
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stopped over here on the 26th of November, only paid £65 for the room so it was very cheap for London. I was in the basement level, the room was clean and tidy, but did smell a bit stale. There was a window, not sure why this was never opened. The toilet is so small you can touch all 4 walls at the same time. Did not want to face breakfast. I would not stay here again.

Great location, shame about the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
We are sorry to here your experience while staying with us. We could have changed your room if you had informed the reception while your stay. Every day, we keep open each and every window for at least 2 hours for fresh air to flow. We shut the windows before check in, so on arrival customers can enjoy nice and warm room.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Cheshire
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Just not nice. Had no plans to submit a review until I saw some of the hotel responses to other reviews.
I stayed here in summer and from a moment I walked in a knew I'd made a mistake. Rooms are tiny, the room I had only just seemed to fit a bed within, and the bathroom was the smallest I've ever seen in a hotel.
Dated and tatty throughout. Someone else mentioned fire regulations and escape routes. The hotel say they meet all requirements and I'm sure they do but if this is the case then I think the fire regulations need updating!
Breakfast was very poor, served in the stuffy room in the basement. I sit down for a minute, had a look around and then got back up and went elsewhere.
I decided I would never, ever go here again.
I honestly don't know how anyone would score this hotel 5 star on Trip Adviser - really!!!
I've sure the hotel was respond and downplay this review - but you have been warned.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Team_Steve
DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you for your review. We respect your opinion and while there is a bit of truth in what you say, there is also a lot of exaggeration.

We have taken note of your comments and will address them even though they are 6 months old.
We will be starting a refurbishment programme next year and that will sort out most of what you have raised.