“Gourmet Fine Dinning - Eat elsewhere”

Grange Holborn Hotel
Ranked #410 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I stayed at the hotel for my wife's surprise birthday and book the so called gourmet meal in thre fine dinning restaurant. For a 4* hotel the meal was well below standard I order the peri peri prawns but the food was covered in so much sauce the dish was totally overpowered. The main course of lamb steak was overcooked, it should have been medium and was again totally covered in so much sauce one wondered what the chef had to hide!!. The other starter of chicken tikka was not authentic, and again the main course of sirloin steak was flooded with sauce. At a fine dining restaurant one does not expect to have to be a self appointed wine waiter the staff were never on hand to assist with the wine. When I raised my concerns I asked for the restaurant manager but was told one one was available - fine dining never in a million years. Overall the accomodation was reasonable, but was a little over priced and the bathroom on the small side. The bathroom was however clean with no black mould around the bath, the power shower was adequate rather than good

Reviewed 20 July 2012

I booked this hotel as it was close to the Dominion Theatre and tube stations. This was a surprise for my partner for his birthday and I mentioned this on the booking request. Reception rang almost immediately and asked if I would like wine in the room and said they would do their best to upgrade us for free. When we arrived we found out we had been upgraded for free to their Junior Executive Suite which was wonderful. The staff were lovely and helpful, the room was immaculate and overall the service experience was first rate. I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area.

17  Thank Lf3009
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Loved the room, hotel, and location-- Didn't like that there were no plugs next to the bed- I sleep with a medical device to help me breath-- had to move the bed across the room to plugin my machine. Otherwise great-- and yes I did contact the front desk- there was no ext cord available but they told me I was free to go and purchase one.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
7  Thank jeoldmixon
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Booked a month in advance on basis of BA recommendation for about 300 pounds two weeks before Olympics, which may have affected the price. Room was small given price but I have become reluctantly accustomed to paying exorbitant prices in London. Clean and comfortable but definitely three, not four, stars. Location is terrific. Close to British museum, Holborn tube stop and plenty of restaurants. Good gym facility. Breakfast buffet is ok (cold eggs) and service barely adequate and a bit chaotic. Despite busy traffic intersection, room was quiet. Bathroom pretty small but strong shower. We would use again but this should be at least fifty pounds cheaper. Would be worth shopping around for a true four star for this price but this is ok in a pinch.

1  Thank taxwatcher
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We booked this hotel so we could see the average white band, ( who were fantastic) at ronnie scotts jazz bar..
It was booked on line as a secret hotel and couldnt have been better.

Some one below said it was a 70s hotel, no way, not sure which part of the 70s he was talking about, dont remember it looking like that.

Anyway staff were great, room was great.

Only down side for what we paid it should have included breakfast.

Would use again and recommend.

Room Tip: rooms on the road side are quite noisey..
17  Thank buzx1313
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I booked a family room for myself, husband and 2 adult daughters at a cost of almost £300 for one night, which included continental breakfast.

Fortunately, only three of us booked in, which was just as well because the room would not have accommodated four adults comfortably.

The room was the size of an average double room, but with two double beds which did not leave a lot of room to walk around.

The bathroom was tiny, definitely not family sized.

However, I have to say that the beds were very comfortable and the bath towels were a decent size.

Was it worth the money and would I use the hotel again - definitely not!

Room Tip: Check the size of family rooms before booking
Reviewed 14 July 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel last week and found the hotel to our liking. We asked for a twinbedded room at the top floor and we were very pleased at arrival when we checked out the gorgeous view over London from the 9 th floor. The room was spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable although a bit on the hard side. The bathroom was well equipped. The only thing we missed was a handheld shower. The traffic in the streets outside the hotel was both buzy and noisy, but as the hotel had air -condition, keeping the windows shut, helped keeping the noise at bay.
The continental breakfast was ok. In the basement of the hotel there were a spa and a swimming-pool but we did not have the time to visit either.
Nearby there are many shops, pubs and places to eat. Covent Garden was just a ten minutes walk away and it took us approximately 25 minutes to walk to Regent's Park. If you want to use the tube, Holborn tube station was 2 minutes away.
We world like to return to Grange Holborn hotel mainly because of the location and the friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the top floors.
8  Thank mumbergen