“Will definitely use again”

Grange Holborn Hotel
Ranked #409 of 1,068 Hotels in London
east sussex
“Will definitely use again”
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Great location, one minute walk from Holborn tube station and just ten minutes walk from Covent Garden. Good hotel. Room fine,attractive and clean. Staff fine. Would recommend. Got a good deal for £107 for a good double room through Hotels.com when booking a month ahead.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gsxrEastSussex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Gibraltar
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

The Location is really good and easy access to the tube. The hotel is lovely when you walk in and staff are really helpful and friendly. The rooms however feel a little dated, the towel rail holder kept falling off the wall. There is no complimentary water which you would expect for a five star. The gym facilities were really good and very well equipped for a hotel gym. I didn't use the spa but the pool area looked lovely. Breakfast was good, good buffet selection. Overall it was a Pleasant stay but given that it's five star and the price you pay I would expect the rooms to be a little nicer and for the towel rail to be fitted to the wall. I wouldn't rule out staying again if there was a good offer on.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Scotland
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Booked via last-minute secret hotels this has to go down as one of the biggest let downs for what was supposed to be a special couple of nights in London. Given a room on the 6th floor one would have thought that traffic noise would be reduced - not the case here with totally inadequate glazing the sound of the road just went in and on all night. Worn carpet, scratched bath, sink plug that didn't work, chipped mugs and a bed that you was next to a pillar... After a discussion with reception in the morning (where the first receptionist wasn't really interested but saved by a superior) they moved us to the 9th floor - still street side but at least both of us could get round the bed! Still noisy and I can say confidently that we have stayed in numerous Central London hotels and this has to be the most traffic noise endured of them all. Breakfast at £23 each??? No thanks.
The hotel is worn and tired - how this is supposed to be a 5 star hotel I have no idea. Like another reviewer I won't be booking a last minute secret hotel again and they should seriously look at what they offer as such. We won't be back.

Room Tip: Avoid street facing rooms - especially on lower floors
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank trevannie
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as a couple for a London theatre beak weekend. The hotel has an excellent location right on the west end theatre district with shops museums and theatres right in the door stop as well as a good choice of restaurants and bars very close by. The greeting was very welcoming on first arrival and as we had driven down and needed to park the car we were directed to a nearby car park, Bloomsbury square car park, which offered a 50% discount for visitors staying at this hotel. Considering the price and difficulty of parking in London this was very welcome. We paid £20 to park our car for 30 hrs which I consider very acceptable as it was a fully secure car park a very short walk from the hotel.
Check in was speedy and we had already booked and paid through expedia a swipe of our credit card was taken for any extras we may need. The staff were very professional and check in and out very efficient. The door man and concierge were polite as were the bar staff.

The room was very small and I wouldn't say 4 star quality. The bed was also small although clean and comfortable and the bathroom exceptionally small. The carpet was stained and the room as a whole just looked dated. There were toiletries and a hair dryer with tea/coffee making facilities and a mini bar. Although the mini bar wasn't chilled and worked on an electronic tag where if you moved an item it was automatically charged. There was a pack of fresh peeled fruit in the mini bar that was mouldy, 3 days out of date, and I assumed the last guests had left it behind. This was confirmed, but evens so the mini bar should have been checked before we were given the room.

There is a lovely 13m Romanesque pool area and health club at this hotel with a gym, sauna and steam lounge offering beauty treatments which is very pleasant and did live up to our expectations. There are in house bars and restaurants one of which is a Japanese restaurant called Koto and a nice restaurant where breakfast is served.

I would recommend this hotel but would question the star rating. If it's location your looking for it ticks all the boxes and the staff were very polite and efficient.

• Stayed October 2013
Canterbury
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed Saturday 19th October to Monday 21st and this hotel was perfect for me. I was up visiting friends and didn't want to crash on a floor so chose what I hoped would be a decent hotel. The Grange Holborn was a little over £15 a night more than a Premier Inn, but in an excellent location - getting in at St Pancras and needing to see friends in Bethnal Green, but also wanting to visit Covent Garden, Shoreditch and Oxford Circus, this hotel was pretty much the best located that wasn't either far too expensive or obviously a flea-trap! Excellent bus and tube routes and loads of places within easy walking distance.

I can see why others wrote negative reviews, there were certainly some aspects of the rooms which could do with some TLC - some of the wood was scuffed or scarred and the bathroom was probably due a refurb, as there were chips in the tub and the shower was just starting to go. However, everything worked as expected and the bed was extremely comfortable and the room was exceedingly quiet - a combination of good thick curtains and double glazing, along with the ever-so-slightly off the beaten track location. And the size of the room was very good indeed for London and the thick carpet was welcome after a day of travelling!

There was also free wifi included in all rooms, which I didn't use that much but was certainly very handy. The number of hotels which charge extra for this is ridiculous in this day and age.

I cannot comment on the quality of either the spa or the breakfast as I experienced neither, but the breakfast did seem slightly on the pricey side, even for a London hotel.

Staff were courteous and efficient, without seeming obsequious. No-one seemed put out in the slightest by anything, even the slightly raucous hen party in the bar on Saturday night.

If I need to stay in that part of London again, I will certainly consider the Grange Holborn for another visit, although I would certainly do what I did this time and book far enough in advance to take advantage of better rates.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Toby P
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Thought I would treat the girlfriend to a 5 star hotel in London for a weekend break, unfortunately after being charged 5 star prices it was not a 5 star hotel nor experience.
The website said to email if early check in was requested and due to flight times we would be there an hour before check in. So I emailed, explaining the situation and the reply was that they would "try their utmost to accommodate us". When I arrived I did not get the impression they were "trying their utmost", in fact I was made to feel like an inconvenience to them.
The lobby etc is grand looking, but the bedroom are past it, old fashioned, dated and fairly well used, in the need of a make over. The bathroom was the smallest I've possible been in (had to climb over the toilet to close the door).
Overall just a bad experience and one I will not be making again.

Room Tip: To get a good room... choose another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Craig H
Wales
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My wife an I stayed here for a weekend at the end of September. On our visits to London we normally try and stay in the Waldorf but we saw this " 5* " hotel at a reasonable price and thought we would try it.

Its in a good location, a short walk to the tube station and a 10 min walk to Covent Garden.

On arrival I presented my booking confirmation to the desk, they did not have any record of my booking and blamed Lastminute.com. The issue was sorted out pretty quick but there shouldn't of been any issue in the first place.

My wife had some treatments in the Spa and said it that the service was very good. We both used the pool and sauna and it is very relaxing.

On our first morning we decided to have breakfast in the hotel, we went into the restaurant and was told that breakfast was something like £23 each! The hotel offer 3 course evening meals for only £25 yet charge a similar price for breakfast! No way was I paying over £45 for some bacon and egg.

The room is ok, nothing special.

Overall its just average. Its a decent hotel with good facilities and decent rooms but doesn't give you that something extra you expect when you see 5* on the wall

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple