“Good location, nice interior but old appearance”

Grange Holborn Hotel
Ranked #391 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Seoul, South Korea
“Good location, nice interior but old appearance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Nice location. Main streets are in walking distance. The hotel appearance is aged with little bit disappointing first impression, not a four star level. But the interior and room facilities are enough to get four or five stars. Staffs are friendly, and the concierge knows good restaurants (We enjoyed an Italian restaurant. Very good recommendation). Curtain pattern is too vivid. Little distractive.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Jinwoo K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Very welcoming staff on arrival, lovely room and facilities. Swimming pool area relaxing and enjoyed the beauty treatments. Decided to eat in restaurant rather than wander round london looking for somewhere. Food was fantastic and great set menu price. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
18 Thank Andrea C
Salisbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Well located with comfortable rooms - and good food and bar service. Price not bad for London - with easy tube access and nearby car parking if needed. Friendly reception staff who coped efficiently with a large group arrival.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank UKtraveller65
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I only stayed one Saturday night with my wife for a getaway. It was a good deal through Lastminute though I could have got the same deal by going directly. The Secret Hotel deal through Lastminute claiming big savings - not true.

The hotel was a great position for the West End, 10-15 minutes brisk walk to Covent Garden. Rooms were typical of the 'English' style and would be great for those looking for that effect. Everything worked, service excellent, continental breakfast was great.
We didn't have time to use the spa but it looked pretty good too. Free internet (well done) and very comfortable beds.

At the price it was great for a city break and would be good for business I am sure.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Keith1955
Cupar, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I arrived in London with nowhere to stay and went to the booking service at St Pancras who sent me here. Whilst not cheap my rate did include breakfast and was not unreasonable. I was welcomed at reception by friendly cheerful staff and soon was in a spacious comfortable and spotlessly clean room. Good toiletries and an excellent selection of teas helped me recover from the trauma of being in a strange city with no accommodation. I was just sorry not to have time to use the spa (maybe next time for I would certainly stay here again). Breakfast was of good quality (a good selection of fresh fruit and lovely little croissants) tho' I didn't try the cooked offerings. It is just a short walk from the tube and on a well lit main road but I was not aware of much noise despite being at the front. Comfy bed. Only gripe would be small pillows but they were comfy and I slept well. I stayed here alone, returning post theatre and felt quite safe. Sainsburys on hand for supplies if needed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank anon551746
North Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is a great hotel and good value for money.

Positives
Very friendly staff, keen to help.
Nice breakfast. Continental breakfast was included in my stay and again staff are very friendly. Some customers are somewhat tricky and feel the need to complain about the temperature in the breakfast room (don't wear just a vest top to breakfast is what I would have suggested but the staff were very professional and took such trivial complaints seriously.
Reliable wake up call
Nice room with good view. I came here to revise for an exam (and to attend an exam) and it was a good room to work in.
Free wifi

Negatives
Some stains on the sheets and on the towels. I do think they had been washed and were clean but it's not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. Otherwise the cleanliness of the room was of a good standard.
Very difficult in making a simple amendment to my booking with a months notice but this is the fault of central reservations rather than Holborn.

Overall I'd say don't be put off by the bad reviews. i would stay here again if it was a good deal.
People seem to complain about the outside noise, but we're in London what do you expect?

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank sparkle132
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

As you arrive you walk into what seems like a 5* hotel reception (except nobody opens the door for you) The lady at the check in desk was very polite and helpful and wanted to make sure we got the type of room right for us.
Our room was in need of updating it was clean but the furniture was old fashioned and the bathroom was weird, it was small but had a really good modern ceiling shower but you couldn't really enjoy it as it was in the bath.
The swimming pool is shallow and cold but the underground pillars etc is a pretty setting. The sauna and steam room are VERY old and I felt uncomfortable sitting in them with other couples as it was so small.
THE MOST DISAPPOINTING PART........ The Koto restaurant, this is not a restaurant that should be attached to a 5* hotel!!! I got all dressed up and excited expecting to find a plush romantic restaurant, what we were actually faced with was bright lighting, plastic trays to eat dinner off, pictures of the food stuck to the walls "kebab shop style", we were sat next to a table of people who where travelling with back packs etc... The lady next to me kept knocking our table when she went to the toilet because it was so squashed together. The food was sooo salty my duck was very dry and my boyfriends chicken looked like it had been blended!
As we checked out my boyfriend pointed out our disappointment with Koto and on our way home the food manager phoned him to ask what the problem was. They told us next time we stay there to let them know and they will ensure we have a better experience. We will not be staying there again.
I was most surprised with this hotel as we have stayed at the grange hotel in St Paul's before and it was brilliant!

Room Tip: We had a Street view room and the noise of the traffic was terrible,the hotel must be situated near...