“Needs an upgrade”

Ranked #389 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London
“Needs an upgrade”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here in February after deciding to treat ourselves to a "staycation" after a busy week. We booked it through last minute.com and got a decent deal. The hotel however is definitely not 5 star, I would probably rate it as a low 4 star or high 3 star. The rooms were just super tired, meh bed, worn carpets and furniture plus the shower was super tarnished and had some of the worst water pressure I've encountered. I've stayed at the grange tower hill and it was MUCH nicer. I just feel like this hotel is well overdue an upgrade.

The spa facilities were decent for the location. Were a bit crowded but this is understandable on the weekend.

The only five star aspect of this hotel were the staff who were fantastic.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
West Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed here for hubbies birthday and had emailed them in advance. Paid a good price for the spa indulgence package compared to other top hotels in london and asked for executive room . We Were given a nice big clean room with view on 8th floor. Shortly after being in our room we were presented with 2 glasses of champagne and a small cake and happy birthday written in chocolate decorated the plate . A lovely touch we thought . The spa area is large with good size pool. The massages by Alessandra were very individual and I thought she had a lovely touch and was very professional. Breakfast was good . No rushing . Altogether a lovely stay in london, fantastic location by holborn tube but you can walk to all of central london from here. Would definitely go again.

Room Tip: 8th floor city view is best
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
18 Thank Superdog2
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

As other reviews suggest, this hotel should not be 5* - 4* at best.

Stayed here whilst on a Business trip with upwards of 20 others; was pleasently enjoyable besides one thing...
It was great that it was only a 2 minute walk from the Holborn underground (hotel can be seen from outside the station). The front house staff were very polite and friendly (though difficult at times to understand what it was they were saying due to their accents).
We had a functional evening meal and the food was nice with moderate size portions.
I was on the 6th floor facing the street which was relatively quiet given the London traffic below; however the noise in the hotel was barbarric...
Non-english 'neighbours' constantly slamming doors and speaking so loud it was boarder-line shouting in the corridors between the hours of 1am-4am. Unfortunately for me, my bedside phone had been unplugged (not by me) and did not want to fumble around to find the wire, nor confront the unrully guests.
Breakfast was pleasent enough, a breakfast choice to suit any guest.
If I had been paying for the room myself I would have felt short-changed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank fairy89
glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel last minute on one of those secret hotels where u don't know where u are staying until you confirm the booking.
Although it stated it's a 5 star spa hotel this wasn't my idea of a 5 star hotel.
It is described as modern but I would describe it more classic.
We expected clean lines & bold colours. But it's dark wood & heavy curtains.
Hotel rooms are very spacious bed was amazingly comfortable rooms are clean. Only thing I could fault was bathroom was very small in comparison with rest of room.
There is an iPod doc but doesn't fit iPhone 5.
We stayed for 2 nights for my birthday. We had been out late celebrating on Saturday night, gotten up on Sunday gone out , returning to our room around 5:30 with the hope of having a nap before dinner to find housekeeping in cleaning our room.
I would have expected this to have been done earlier in the day.
So we had to leave the room and ended up out for dinner without having a nap or getting washed & changed. This meant we were back in hotel for 8:30pm in bed. Not ideal.

I read reviews staying the door wasn't held opened. The concierge were fabulous always getting to the door before us to open it. Can't fault them at all.

Although I wouldn't hook this hotel by choice. It was nice enough & served the purpose. Close to holborn tube station & pleasingly safe neighbourhood.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Devizes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

After reading some negative reviews of the hotel I was worried about what to expect! But on arrival the foyer was elegant and staff friendly and keen to help.
Luckily we were offered an early check in after phoning in advance with a request. Check in was quick and efficient and was soon in our room.
The room did have a bit outdated decor but was clean and had adequate space. Lovely overhead shower in the bathroom.
We didnt get a chance to use the pool or spa facilities.
Fairly noisy location at night, but expected for central london.
The hotel is situated just a couple minutes walk from the tube, and just 15 mins walk from covent garden/Leicester square where there is ample restaurants and bars.
Overall a very enjoyable stay, would visit again.

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank TarahLowe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

My wife and myself stayed at The Grange last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We found the staff to be very professional ,helpful and polite. It was a birthday weekend for us both and on arrival found we had been upgraded to a suite with compliments of the hotel. We were delighted. Our room was lovely on the 8th floor and had amazing views. The pool was a lovely area and not at all ' chilly ' as other reviews had commented. This hotel is close to theatres and London attractions and we don t have a bad word to say about it.

Room Tip: Book a room on a high floor for great views
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Archie1000
Bournemouth, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is a lovely looking hotel, check-in was very quick and polite and the staff generally are very polite and happy to help. The thing that let this hotel down for me was the room, although large, comfortable and looked very nice the hand towel rail in the bathroom fell off as soon as I first dried my hands, the drawers of the dressing table/desk felt cheap and didn't open smoothly, the TV sound had a problem and was intermittent (not so I didn't know what was going on in the programme but annoying all the same, the card key slot for the electrics played up when I went to the room at bedtime. It had been fine pre dinner and worked ok the next morning but annoyingly the lights kept going off after about 2 minutes until I re-set the card. I would've also quite liked a sign on the shower to indicate which way to turn the knob to use the hand held shower head as I found to my distress when I turned it the wrong way and the ceiling shower gave me an unexpected soaking! And the room doors need some kind of a soft closing mechanism as I was hearing doors banging shut from 5am when people started to check out.
Small complaints maybe but not what you'd expect from a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business