“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #406 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Used Laterooms.com mystery hotel to book for 3 nights over Easter. On receiving confirmation of hotel details and reading trip advisor reviews, we were apprehensive to say the least. I have to say that the bad reviews are nonsense as far as our experience goes. The hotel may be a little tired around the edges, but location, facilities and service has made this a hotel that we would thoroughly recommend. We both have high standards and this hotel has met them. Hope you find the same!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Colliebear6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have always used trip advisor to read reviews but never write them. This time I am so passionate about my definitely way below 5 star experience at the Grange Hotel in Holborn, I thought I would share a word of warning with people who are looking to stay in this hotel.

Let me list the ways in which I was challenged by my experience there:

I have never been to a 5 star hotel before that charges you extra to eat 'hot' food by calling it 'English breakfast' I will post pictures of this tomorrow. You are not informed of this during your booking until you land up in the morning craving hot food after your second night's stay in my case. The extra charge is 8 pounds per head on top of the rate you pay for the room! Oh and just so you know, the breakfast is something I would expect at a 3 star... the cold cut turkey tasted funny, the hash browns were like cardboard, their bakery items tasted like it was from the Tesco value range. It was shocking really.

There is no housekeeping service after 9 pm. Yes, it's true, there is no support and you can keep calling housekeeping but no one picks up. I feel terrible for the Concierge guy who tried to help me the other day. They are clearly under staffed and cutting corners. No housekeeping service after 9 pm, not even to pick up the phone? Or help with requests?

The water stopped running when I was in the bathroom last night, in the middle of the night. It was horrific and a duty manager came to our room, to tell us that we should move to another room. We had to pack everything after staying there for almost 6 days, only to be told we won't change your room at 1 am because we really wanted to sleep after a long day. Eventually they did end up changing our room after angry words were exchanged with the excuse that there were only double beds available and no twins. When we got to new bigger room, it was just two beds put together so that was a complete lie. I mean, really thought a 5 Star hotel where the water stops running??? And the hotel guests alert you to it?!

Oh and housekeeping didn't know how to read the 'Do No Disturb' sign on the door. We went to breakfast and left all of our stuff around to come back and change quickly, so the room could be cleaned later. Housekeeping walked into the room despite the 'Do Not Disturb' sign and was completely unapologetic.

I asked to use a converter at a 5 Star hotel, and they tell me I need to agree to a 20 GBP deposit for something that would barely cost 1.50 GBP?? I mean the level of ridiculous at this hotel is just unbelievable.

Every hotel I've been to around the world with at least 4 Stars, have different types of pillows available for usage. I have a previous injury and therefore need something that isn't quite so soft that it provides 'NO' support to your neck whatsoever unless you put your arm underneath the pillow 'to' support your head. Brilliant. Housekeeping couldn't help, so bless the Concierge guy shoved two pillows into a pillow case to try and help me out, which didn't work. No apology for that so far, apparently according to this hotel it's pretty standard to have substandard pillows that provide no support.

We called the BHRC which recommended this hotel, to get a room for a friend to stay the night. He stayed one night and was given a far larger room than the two of us sharing and staying here 8 days. They really just don't seem to care and the duty manager, was pretty clear about how this 'IS' a 5 star service and how 'we' didn't know better. I'd like to see him go and pay 8 GBP extra to eat food at a 4 star hotel!

After that a good long 30 minute conversation with the duty manager where he patronised us, said that we seemed to 'only' have issues with the breakfast which aggravated to the nth because he obviously wasn't listening at all! I stayed at this hotel almost 10 years ago when it still actually looked like and functioned like a 5 star... Now what I see is a 3 star hotel, somehow keeping their 5 star which is shocking and appalling? Makes me wonder if someone hand is getting greased to keep this 5 star, will be writing to the association to make sure they review the 5 star rating because this is apalling. Oh and apparently, asking for a quiet room when we checked in makes us a demanding guest, or so we have been told.

I could go on about this and I will keep updating this till I leave this hotel because I refused to let my hard earned money be thrown away like this. I am shocked by the hotels lack of concern about my complaints and my experience.

Here is what is very clear about the Grange Hotel in Holborn, they are cutting corners and they are understaffed. The management of this hotel making the decisions, needs to be ready to sacrifice a star or two for making such decisions.

If anyone from the Grange Hotel would like to respond before I leave the hotel, that would be great because I'm still here. Let's really test your Customer Service skills, I'll be updating this until I leave.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank MovementPlease
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for one night as part of a hen weekend package deal. We arrived very early and although our room was not ready ( they did check in case it was ) they let us check our bags in so we didn,t have to Carry them around London.The staff were helpful and friendly, the room was clean, roomy and the beds comfy. The added extras like dressing gowns and slippers were great. The breakfast was the best I have ever had in any hotel ( and I work for a hotel chain) the choices available were brilliant. I cannot think of anything to complain about with this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
18 Thank Nicola B
Frankfort, Illinois
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The hotel is in a great location, very near the Underground. The hotel is well kept, room was spacious and pleasant - the only complaint we had was the placement of the television. There was a support column in the room that obstructed the view. Hotel staff were friendly and efficient. A very nice continental breakfast was included in our room rate. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Mark S
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Last Sunday, late in the afternoon, I found myself stranded in central London owing to a booking elsewhere having gone awry. I saw the Grange Holborn from across the street and presented myself, suitcase in hand, jetlagged and more than a little worried by the situation, at the desk. On the spot the desk staff arranged a room for the night for a very reasonable rate. It was a happy resolution to a very awkward emergency; the room was of excellent standard and gave all the comfort I was in need of. Most of all, the kindness and helpfulness of the staff in taking this "homeless vagrant" off the street was heart-warming. My thanks and appreciation to all of them.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
18 Thank Joseph L
London
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Having stayed at the Grange Holborn quite a few times before we decided to book again and was not disappointed. After and initial confusion with our booking the hotel staff cleared it up and then upgraded us for the inconvenience. This hotel is near everything, either walk or tube, we only had one taxi ride in our 3 day stay. We stayed bed and breakfast and the breakfast was good. We decided to have the pre theatre dinner one night and it was really good and reasonably priced. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We asked for a room at the back of the hotel, it is very noisy with traffic and siren at the front...