“Great place to stay,but don't bother with breakfast” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grange Holborn Hotel

Grange Holborn Hotel
Ranked #388 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Cambridgeshire,UK
“Great place to stay,but don't bother with breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

We stayed 3 nights over New Year. Having booked as a "Top Secret Hotel "with Last Minute .com where we knew location and star rating prior to booking but not the name of hotel. Well worth the gamble. We arrived an hour early, check in was quick and room was ready. We clearly had an upgrade too, a large room with huge very comfortable bed on 6th floor overlooking main street of Kingsway. Did get noisy outside with police and ambulance sirens but we were here to soak up the New Year atmosphere!
Prices for minibar drinks were fair especially house wine, mixers and confectionary were overpriced.
My husband enjoyed the swimming pool and spa facility
Location was excellent, we were able to walk easily to Covent Garden, Theatres and Oxford Street.
Only negative was hotel breakfast which we sampled only once. Poor selection of food, full English was cooked to order but was disappointing and service was appalling. We had to ask three times for coffee before it finally arrived and had to wait half an hour after ordering for scrambled eggs which were bland, overcooked and unappetising. We did complain once we managed to get staff attention and were only charged for one meal in the end.
After this experience we ate elsewhere for the entire stay. Can thoroughly recommend Chez Gerard Covent Garden for lunch and pre theatre meal, advise booking in advance.
Definitely a good hotel on room only basis.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KatchCambridgeshire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

I stayed at this hotel after booking a "Top secret" deal through Lastminute.com.

Firstly, I would have to say that there is nothing 5 star about this hotel. That being said, I did not experience a particular problem.

The location is excellent, with the hotel being a one minute walk away from Holborn underground station and a few minutes from both the British Museum and Oxford Street.

My room was on the small side but was well equipped. Did hear the couple next door shouting a few times. The staff were obliging and helpful.

Overall, would recommend but it did not consider the particularly good value for money.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2010

Lucky to get this hotel on 'top secret hotels' at lastminute.com for under half the price. Staff were very courteous at all times, nothing was too much trouble. Room and bathroom were smaller than expected but well furnished and the bed was great, had a wonderful nights sleep. 24 hour bar was a bonus. Liked the location, near the tube. Pool and spa looked fantastic (didn't have time to indulge) I would definately stay here again.

6 Thank mariaPortsmouthUk
Preston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2010

We booked through secret hotels on lastminute.com for 2 nights for a reasonable price and after finding out we were staying at the holborn and reading reveiws on here i was very skeptical about our stay, however, contrary to many reviews on here we had a brilliant time at the hotel.

From entering the hotel at check-in to leaving at check-out the concierge staff were always going out of their way to help us in any way we needed without being annoying, a major plus. We stayed on the 8th floor where one wall of our room was completely windows, which gave us nice views of the city. Our room was also very spacious with a great size bathroom and really comfortable king size bed.

When we tried the television we had sound but no picture, after ringing up reception someone came to the room and fixed the problem promptly without hastle and couldnt apologise more.

Although we had a really good stay at the hotel one major disadvantage was the amount of traffic and outside noise from the roads but due to our purpose of stay and only getting in late this didnt bother us too much so just put up with it. However seeing how helpfull the staff were, had we complained im sure they would have offered us an alternative room.

4 Thank lauratree
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2010

This hotel cannot be a 5 star hotel. The room was small and the bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen! The room was not ready before 14.30. Ase we have to leave there the bagge waiting for the room, I asked the consierge if it was possibile to have the luggage brought directly to the room so to find them in the room at 14.30: the answer was: NO POSSIBLE!
The furinutre in the room was old.
The swimming pool was nice, but sauna was small and really old.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2010

Stayed for 1 night to watch west end show , very convenient as only 10 minute walk.

Hotel prices very expensive ie £290 exc vat per night at reception but bought online for £141 so be careful where you buy.

Room on 3rd floor front corner good size with 2 comfortable double beds but very small bathroom but very clean ,. unfortunately very noisy all night with traffic , sirens and rowdy clubbers but all in all a good hotel for a weekend break.

4 Thank nicholas_8
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2010

I can honestly say that staying at the Grange made my visit to London less fun than it should have been. Here is why:
At check-in, the clerk asked if I wanted to pay now or at check-out. I chose check-out, and he asked to swipe my credit card for incidentals - standard procedure, right? But when he handed my card back to me, he informed me that he had placed a "hold" on the card for the entire cost of the stay PLUS 350 pounds additional!
Of course I balked at this - I knew I wasn't going to spend £350 on phone calls and room service in the span of 5 days. He replied that this amount wasn't a charge, only a hold - I know that! But if the hotel is holding that amount, then I can't spend it elsewhere...
They offered to clear the "hold" and charge me the cost of the room (£460) up-front, and I agreed. The charge hit my card immediately, but the hold did not disappear until EIGHT DAYS later - after I had left the country.
With that "hold" on my card, the budget for my stay in London was curtailed, because the Grange tied up a large portion of my credit limit.
If you are curious about my actual stay, it was fine - the room was comfortable and of good size; the breakfast was fine and the pool was enjoyable. But I can't recommend to anyone a hotel that abuses their guests at check-in like this.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple