“At least the scrambled egg was good”

London Premier Kensington
Ranked #932 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Bradford, United Kingdom
“At least the scrambled egg was good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I recently stayed in the hotel. The company I work for had reserved and paid for the hotel. On arrival the staff asked for the card to pay with. At no point on any documentation on the reservation did it ask for payment when we checked in. I would also say that payment prior to staying in the hotel is a little strange......buy before you try??? Staff weren't overly helpful stating that it was company policy and that we would need to pay for at least the first night and that they would then contact the company for further payments.

Once we were over that hurdle we were informed that we were on the 4th floor and ushered to the lift........that only went up to the 3rd floor.

The room seemed clean enough and it being late I figured it would be fine.

I'm an average 6' bloke, and most blokes in London seem to be taller than me on average, this became a problem when I eventually went to bed on the first night. As much as the bed suited the small room, my feet hanging off the end all night wasn't exactly comfortable.

Breakfast in the morning was quite nice. Sufficient quantity of fruit and juice along with the usual full breakfast. I did need to ask a few times for a knife but at least the scrambled egg was good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alex_Donna_Ethan
ASehgal, Manager at London Premier Kensington, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback and it has been taken on to the higher authority.

We will look into the points raised in the review and will give them a serious consideration.

Please, accept my sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused during your stay. I can assure you that all points have been shared with respective departments.

Please feel free to contact us at fom.townhouse@theshaftesbury.com and once again please accept my sincere apologies.

Naveen Cheruku

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Great location very close to Earls court tube and Cromwell road. No food available in the apartments but good selection nearby. Good breakfast included, which you eat at local sister apartments. Single room was small but good value at the price I paid. Only negative was that bathroom tiles were loose on the floor and should be fixed.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank RobJoh
ASehgal, Manager at London Premier Kensington, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your stay at London Premier Kensington, we are very much excited to read your excellent comments.

I have shared your valuable and excellent comments with my great team who along with myself hope to welcome you in the near future.

I am delighted that you would return to London Premier Kensington and would personally like to welcome you and your family back when you visit London.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We recently stayed at London Premier Kensington.
Initially i was quite apprehensive as I wasn't really expecting much for the amount I paid as London rates are usually very high! Upon arrival, the receptionist wasn't very chatty, not informative at all and caused quite an awkward atmosphere. We all stood in silence, waiting, not really knowing if she knows that we're waiting to check in.

Eventually she left to the back office and the Duty Manager assisted us (Navine)
Very lovely guy! Was really informative, took all our details and contacted housekeeping to see if our room was ready as we checked in quite early!

The room was really large, overlooking the tube track but this didn't really bother us as it was expected! Overall, our stay was really enjoyable! Not excellent but pleasant enough!
Would most likely stay again if I was in the area.

Many thanks to all the staff who made our stay so enjoyable especially Navine!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lavarnaa

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I had the misfortune of finding this hotel via the web and chose a 2 night stay for myself and my partner. I booked an Executive Deluxe Double Room.

I was under the impression an 'Executive Deluxe Double Room' was as illustrated on the hotel website. I understand not all rooms are identical as the illustrations but the room I was given upon arrival was a sub standard twin room with two single beds pushed together!

My only specification was a large room with a large double bed. Neither of these specifications were granted.

I informed the receptionist that this was not what I had booked and that I would like to change rooms. I was told that this was not possible as the hotel was fully booked. What made matters worse was the attitude of the receptionist as she just laughed at me as there was 'nothing she could do'. I do not understand why I didn't receive what I originally booked, weeks in advance, nor can I understand why I was addressed in such a flippant manner to the point where I was left walking away to bouts of laughter by the receptionist and the porter. I found this behaviour and overall complacency completely disrespectful and unprofessional.

Overall the 'Executive Deluxe Double Room' had a very poor, outdated finish with chipped wooden units and wallpaper falling off the wall! (Please see attached photos). The room had a severe case of damp which made the wallpaper simply fall away and left a fermenting pong in the air for the entire stay! There had clearly been an attempt to fix this by patching over the dampness with square pieces of wallpaper which looked very unprofessional and unsightly. I would perhaps expect this in a hostel but not from a 4* hotel in Kensington.

The bathroom was also unacceptable as the sink was blocked and would not drain. Every time we ran the taps it would fill to the top with dirty water and just stagnate in the basin. I had to arrange for a maintenance man to clear the blockage via the receptionist who again found this all very amusing which made me very cross as there was no understanding or sympathy.

I was continually appalled by the language of the Eastern European maintenance man who did not understand English and would not respond to any of my questions. If this wasn't bad enough he continually swore as he failed to clear the blockage. Whatever the corrosive liquid he was pouring down the sink was spilt on the floor and left for me and my partner to clean or walk in which would have been painful had our skin come in to contact with it given the smoke that was bellowing from the sink hole! The blockage was eventually cleared.

The size of the bathroom was far too small to be classed as an 'Executive Deluxe Double Bathroom' as it was impossible to shower without getting the entire bathroom soaked as there was no screen or curtain to keep the water in which meant the toilet, the floor, the walls, even the carpet outside were soaked. I do not understand how this is acceptable?

The receptionist informed us that we could move rooms on our second day to an actual 'Executive Deluxe Double Room' as originally booked, but my partner and I were so fed up with the whole situation we just wanted to leave. On top of the unpacking / packing of our luggage we just did not want any more hassle or inconvenience. This caused arguments and tension between myself and my partner as I was very upset with not receiving what I had booked and paid for but she did not want the stress of it all, which was completely the opposite of the overall intended experience.

The purpose of this stay was a post valentines weekend as my partner and I live apart and we don't often see one another. With a theatre trip and dining experience arranged, I was excited to book this stay as the website displayed outstanding accommodation with reasonable prices. I was looking forward to what I had paid for and anticipating a lovely few days with my partner. I was very upset and disappointed when i found out what i had booked was clearly not what was allocated upon arrival.

Other elements of dissatisfaction include the satellite TV restricted to 5 channels only, not digital as advertised. There was only one packet of biscuits for two people. There was no hair dryer as advertised. There was far too much furniture for such a small room for two people including a writing desk, a table, a drinks table unit, two side tables, 2 large chairs, two single beds and a serving tray in the middle of the room!

All I requested was a large double bed in a spacious room which I thought I would receive in an 'Executive Deluxe Double Room'.

The breakfast was outstanding and unfortunately the best part of our stay.

I cannot accept the overall experience of this stay as the conditions were not what i would class as an 'Executive stay'. I have stayed in much cheaper hotels, Hostels and B & B's with superior design and quality with simple furnishings, particularly a double bed, not two single beds pushed together causing us to sleep apart!!!!! Given my only request was a double bed i was disgusted in what was allocated.

Because of the overall experience and poor customer service i found our stay farcical and unacceptable.

I have contacted the hotel on numerous occasions since. After receiving no reply for 2 weeks, I contacted them again and finally received a response. The hotel manager assured me the problems with the room were admissible and they were in fact re-decorating the rooms in the coming weeks!!! Even with this admission of the poor quality of the room, there was 'nothing that could be done!

I was eventually offered 20% of my next stay but this was the best they could offer me. I informed the hotel manager I wished to speak to the regional manager, only to be told he was not available and would contact me in due time. No communication has ever been received.

I rarely make arrangements like this and the overall experience has completely put me off ever doing it again. I felt not only the condition of the room but the behaviour of the staff warranted some kind of response and resolution which was never received. The hotel would not acknowledge my complaint or deal with it in a satisfactory way. I was just laughed at and ignored.

As I have written, I arranged an unforgettable experience for myself and my partner and we received an astonishingly disappointing experience that i wish to forget.

Surprisingly, I do not recommend this London Premier Kensington Hotel unless you enjoy being treated with disregard and flippancy, and in all cases a simple joke with no punchline!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank paulflorides8

Naveen Cheruku

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I booked this hotel for friends and I on a visit to London in February 2014.

Good location of hotel and very central. Room was clean and comfortable.

Service was good as I left a shirt in the room and they held it for me until my next visit to London in March.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
ASehgal, Manager at London Premier Kensington, responded to this review, 4 April 2014

Bradford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

We have just got back from a one night stay at this hotel. The hotel was easy to find and in a good location.
We were taken up to our room on the 3 rd floor but it was looking on to a tube track. We quickly realised that it was very loud and we would not be able to sleep for the noise so we rang down to reception ( had to connect the phone as the wire was out) and asked to change rooms. They we're very helpful and changes us to a street viewing room straight away. The rooms are very small, and hot! When you open the bathroom door, you end up banging in to the bed. My husband also banged his elbow on the bed side table as the room is tiny. The shower was not working properly, water flow very poor and leaking. The room itself was ok. No way near plush but I didn't expect to pay £100 for a room like that. In the morning after waking up a few times roasting hot, a workman from the hotel walked in to our room without knocking but luckily we were dressed and ready to leave the hotel. The staff are very helpful and friendly but the hotel is not what we expected. I would rate it no more than 2 star.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
ASehgal, Manager at London Premier Kensington, responded to this review, 30 March 2014

Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and I booked this hotel through Bookit.com, despite reading many poor reviews. It had a price that fit our budget, so we booked it anyway hoping for the best. Because of the reviews about the noise from the Underground, we were worried when, upon arrival, we were given a below ground level room. Much to our pleasant surprise, we did not mind the noise at all. From our room, it was a distant rumble much like thunder that we actually found to be quite soothing when falling asleep. As mentioned in other reviews, the room was small, but had recently been redone and was furnished nicely. The front desk did tell us that our room was "huge", so I'm not sure what the size of a regular room is because this one was definitely small. The bathroom was very cramped, but again it was modern and clean. The location really was great and only took about 2 minutes to walk to the Earl's Court Underground station. Three lines run through this station, so we were able to get anywhere we needed to go very easily. There's a T.V. in the room, but it only picked up five channels, and the hotel does have Wifi, but the signal was so weak in our room that we were not able to use it. While the London Premier Kensingston surpassed our expectations that had been set by other reviews, it is still what we would consider an average hotel. We had a nice stay, but the redeeming factor is definitely the location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
ASehgal, Manager at London Premier Kensington, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your stay at London Premier Kensington, we are very much excited to read your valuable comments.