“Clean but very noisy” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #132 of 827 Speciality Lodging in London
Helsinki
“Clean but very noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

My experience is based on one night only, I went to St Christopher's Inn to sleep and took off early the following day. I stayed in a female-only dorm with five other girls on the third floor. I had checked the price of the bed online but had not yet booked my stay before arriving at the hostel. It turned out that the online price was 10 pounds less than if I had booked my bed at the hostel, and the member of the staff I spoke with was very kind and advised me to sit down and book the bed via my phone so I saved ten pounds. I paid 15,90 for my stay.

They were singing karaoke at the bar and I thought it would not be a problem, however the noise was terrible even on the third floor. Fortunately they stopped at midnight. The room itself was clean and nice but the en suite "bathroom" was really small and only had a tiny stall with an overhead shower, and it took lots of time before the water got warm. So if you don't want to get cold standing under a cold shower waiting for the water to get hot, you should maybe open the door of the stall, turn the shower on, quickly close the door, and repeat this about five times (you need to press the button every 20 seconds or so) before you can actually enter the stall itself. But the shower and toilet were very clean, which I appreciated.

The wifi was okay, the breakfast was just what you would expect from a hostel: toast and some cereal, not much else.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in the dorms at this hostel for just one night in July. After having had a great experience staying at St Christopher´s Oasis in the centre of London, we booked this hostel assuming all St Christopher Inns were on par. We were sadly disappointed. We arrived in the evening and had to wait quite a while until the bar staff were free to check us - although they were friendly enough it was clear the customers in the bar were the priority. We were told breakfast finished at 9, but we were still surprised to see everything completely packed away a few minutes past 9. Thus we had to opt for a hot breakfast, which took a long time coming and wasn't exactly what we ordered. The girl on the morning shift was very rude and acted like it was a hassle to serve us. We were going to leave our bags at the hostel while we went out for the day but in the end just couldn't wait to get out of their. Such a shame as its clear not all St Christopher´s Inns are like Camden.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Wells, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

The Hostel is in a perfect location for Camden and all it has to offer, let alone access to sight see the rest of London.
My friend and I stayed in November as we had tickets for a gig in the forum. I love the buzz of the hostel and personally like the bar downstairs and the entertainment, though I can see this would not suit everyone.
We stayed in a small 6 bed dorm with ensuite, but when we got there 4 girls were already in situ and appeared to spread all over the dorm and the ensuite, making it seem messy and and not as clean as it could be. As we were only staying one night we decided not to say anything, but if we were there for longer I would have had to. Our room mates didn't seem to be aware that there were others in the room, particularly when they got up at 6am. However since is a hostel I do expect this to a certain degree and to be honest it is rare to experience that level of inconsideration.
I personally have never been disappointed when I stay in a St Christophers hostel and this will not put me off booking St Christophers, either here or elsewhere, in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the top if late night noise bothers you.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in a 6 person girls dorm. It was a very large room with doors linking to ensuite shower and toilet. The sink was in the room. There was a small sitting area in the bay window that looked onto the Camden High Street which was lovely in the afternoon. The room is clean and comfortable and the bathroom is cleaned every day. The street can be a bit noisy late at night and in the morning so if you are a light sleeper take note. If you are looking for a hostel to meet people outside of your room this is not for you. The 'chill out' room is tiny and in the basement, no one ever went down there . The bar can be fun at night, but if you are on the floor immediately above it I would imagine it can get very loud and difficult to sleep. Breakfast is basic and only goes for two hours so if you like to party late you will still need to get up by 8:45 to eat. The key card system was great as it proved very secure and let us come and go as we pleased. The hostel itself was in a terrific location, a two minute walk to the markets where you can eat every night as there is no where to cook at the hostel. For someone who has limited experience with backpacking I found my experience comfortable and safe as well as good value for money.

• Stayed June 2013
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013 via mobile

I loved Camden and the location was fantastic. The staff is very hip and cool, but some came across as too good to help us. The hostel rooms were nothing special. When comparing to other hostels of that quality, it was quite expensive. We were served breakfast without cutlery and care, the menu was really not that great. Pub crawl was so much fun! Go on a Friday to end at the bar KOKO! Overall it was fine.

• Stayed May 2013
Edinburgh, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights in December in a private twin room. The room itself was very small and basic with a bunkbed and a tiny en suite bathroom. Had everything we needed though.
Location is amazing. Two minutes walk from Mornigton Crescent Tube station or 7 minutes from Camden Town tube station. Surrounded by bars and restaurants. Short walk to Camden Lock market. Bar downstairs is pretty good for food and reasonably priced drinks.
Woudl definately go back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

If you're up for some fun and don't want to spend too much money, then this hostel is ideal for you. Perfect location between Camden Town and Mornington Crescent stations. Although the street is always busy and crowded, crammed with pubs and cafes, I had a good sleep. It gets a bit noisy and shaky in the mornings because of the underground, though. The building isn't new and has no lift but it wasn't too much of inconvenience for me. Loved karaoke and pub downstairs. Staff is really friendly and nice. If you don't plan to spend your holidays in and want to explore the city and have a good time, this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo