“Very good value for money!”

St Christopher's Inn Camden
Ranked #128 of 897 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

Room were clean and beds were cosy!
Bathrooms needs to be cleaned more frequent! And heater heater heater! Its freezing!
Isha is a very nice person and very helpful! Every hostel should have one like her :)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for St Christopher's Inn Camden

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We only stayed 1 night so there is not a huge amount I can say.

We stayed because we were going to a gig at the nearby KOKO (5min walk away).
Staff were friendly, room (twin - bunk bed) was small & clean & breakfast was all you can eat bread/toast, cold meat & cheese, cereal, fruit salad & hot/cold drinks.
Hostel based in the centre of Camden so plenty places to shop, drink & eat.

Price was on par with a cheaper hotel (£80 odd) and it was good and I would go again if I am going to be gigging in the area again.

Room Tip: The twin room we were in was on the third floor which was good for quietness from the pub but quite...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Perhaps I was spoilt by the very excellent standard of hostels in Lisbon and Porto as I found this hostel to be less than a very basic 2 star hotel. I was on the 2nd floor on the street side in a 6 bed female dorm. The room has ensuite facilities which in fact are not great as people were getting up at all hours and showering, using the toilet and wash basin, and all these things make it very noisy. Personally I prefer the bathroom facilities to be outside of the dorm room. The bathroom was so small and has absolutely nowhere to put your things without them getting soaking wet. You had to step into the stall and stand under the freezing cold water waiting for it to get warm as you could not point the shower head in another direction. OR you could push the button, slam the door shut and repeat this process about 4 times till the water gets warm. However be sure it will result in a soaking wet floor. There is also no way to have a shower without getting your hair wet! The bunk beds were comfy and they had great lockers underneath that fit a small suitcase. The common room is in the basement and feels like a dungeon as it is not very nicely furnished or welcoming and I hardly ever saw anyone in there. Otherwise you sit in the pub (Belushi's) which is pretty average. I did like the location close to the Underground, Camden markets, bars and restaurants and shopping. Would not stay there again but perhaps this is the standard of hostels in London?

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This hostel does the job if you want to stay in Camden Town and get a nights rest. I stayed on the upper floor and wasn't bothered by the noise at the bar. The street can be a bit noisy and the area is a little dodgy late at night, but it is close to some lovely restaurants and bars/nightclubs, along with two tube stations. I wouldn't reccomend staying at this St Christophers for an extended time, but it is a good short getaway.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed for one night prior to a gig at the Roundhouse. I stayed in the girl's dorm, and mostly it was fine, as you would expect for a central London hostel but nothing more.

Pros - room had six bunks, great large lockers under the beds (bring your own lock), and plenty of sunlight (big windows) and airflow. There was a toilet and shower (separate rooms) and a washstand in the room. The bunk was comfy and there was enough ventilation even on a warm summer night (heatwave!) in July. Nice wooden floors, quite a bit of character. Enough space. Everything was clean. I believe there is breakfast included but I didn't partake as it has quite early hours. There is a lounge room with tea and coffee, down in the basement of the building (away from the actual hostel rooms). That room is REALLY loud at night as it's below the dance floor.

Cons - hostel is directly above a pub with LOUD music and dancing till late. They do offer earplugs. Actually I didn't find the third floor room to be too bad, although you could definitely hear the bass. Slept fine, then again I was tired. If you are noise-sensitive I'd be cautious.

The shower was a pain. It has a fixed head, which squirts straight out the shower door if the door is open. So you have a choice of standing in the shower, closing the door, pressing the shower button and standing in the cold stream of water while it heats up, or opening the door, pressing the button and trying to close it fast before the entire room gets drenched. I was not hugely happy with the first option and not very successful with the second option.
There was no bathmat available even though the room was tiny with very few hooks for clothes, after six girls had all showered everything was drenched and dressing in the tiny space while keeping clothes dry was a challenge. Replacing the shower head with one that can be directed better would help. So would a bathmat/more clothing hooks.

Fire alarm went off about 8am on the Sunday morning - rang for ages and we were all half-way down the stairs in various forms of dress/undress before someone told us it was a false alarm. Not really their fault and I suppose at least it's proof their fire systems work fine - and got me up and moving early for the day.

Location is excellent - right near the underground Mornington Cres (2 mins walk) and about 5 mins walk from Camden tube. Really busy Camden street environment. Lots of cafes etc. nearby, including a local 'caff' with super cheap breakfast (halfway between the hostel and the Mornington Cres tube station, left hand side of road).

Would I stay again? Yes, I think so. The noise factor is ok for me as I'm a deep sleeper. I wouldn't be rushing back there especially but if I was attending anything at the Roundhouse I wouldn't have any serious reasons not to stay. It was an acceptable, middle of the road hostel experience. Nothing terrible, but nothing special either. Just ok.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Tyyche
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed here for the second time a few weeks ago. Approx 20 of us who had come up from Sheffield to see Proud Mary and Twisted Wheel at the nearby Purple Turtle. I had stayed here before for a test match at Lords a few years ago but I know a few of the lads were apprhensive about staying in an hostel.

But they were soon won over. The hostel itself is clean and tidy but what really won everybody over was the bar downstairs which is great. Especially when the Brazilian pub crawlers came in on the Saurday night.

Camden is top, the hostel is in a great location (can walk back to Kings Cross in 10 mins if you are not in the mood for the Tube.

Room Tip: If you are in a group contact them before to guarantee an exclusive room with no strangers
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2013

My experience is based on one night only, I went to St Christopher's Inn to sleep and took off early the following day. I stayed in a female-only dorm with five other girls on the third floor. I had checked the price of the bed online but had not yet booked my stay before arriving at the hostel. It turned out that the online price was 10 pounds less than if I had booked my bed at the hostel, and the member of the staff I spoke with was very kind and advised me to sit down and book the bed via my phone so I saved ten pounds. I paid 15,90 for my stay.

They were singing karaoke at the bar and I thought it would not be a problem, however the noise was terrible even on the third floor. Fortunately they stopped at midnight. The room itself was clean and nice but the en suite "bathroom" was really small and only had a tiny stall with an overhead shower, and it took lots of time before the water got warm. So if you don't want to get cold standing under a cold shower waiting for the water to get hot, you should maybe open the door of the stall, turn the shower on, quickly close the door, and repeat this about five times (you need to press the button every 20 seconds or so) before you can actually enter the stall itself. But the shower and toilet were very clean, which I appreciated.

The wifi was okay, the breakfast was just what you would expect from a hostel: toast and some cereal, not much else.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo