“Midweek treat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #393 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Midweek treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Just got back from the Best Western. After reading mixed reviews I was a bit sceptical about staying, but I wasn't disappointed. We stayed in a triple bed bedroom which was clean and tidy and self contained, ie hob, fridge, microwave and sink. The staff were very friendly and the location on Chiswick high street was ideal for eateries, express supermarkets and bus routes. We parked the car up (in the hotels car park) bought an oyster bus pass, which I strongly recommend as it gets you use of all buses and underground for a full day. Some people are never going to be satisfied with where they stay, but I am not easily pleased and I found our stay at this hotel very enjoyable. Some rooms are detached from the hotel, so what you might have to walk for a second but it's nothing worth worrying about! When I booked the Best Western, I wanted somewhere straight off the motorway where I could park the car up(which is a bonus) and then use London transport. The only thing is, is that the rooms are very warm, but if you ask at reception to turn it down, they will do no problem. Don't forget if we don't tell hotels about problems but just moan to ourselves, nothing gets solved! I will be going back here in the near future.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Finnish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

I visited the area for business purposes. It was close to the venue where I needed to be as well as the underground station, which was nice.

Checking in went smoothly. Had to carry my heavy suitcase up on a narrow staircase. I had booked a single room, which turned out to be tiny.

The whole hotel looked very, very tired. The furniture, the carpet,.... not very appealing. The bathroom seemed to be refurbished. Be very careful though, the tiles are extremely slippery!!

The room was rather cold, I cranked up the heating but it didn't heat up very quickly. Later during the evening, it seemed like it started working... loud gargling noises emerged and persisted, so I turned it off again.

The whole hotel was very noisy: street noise, rattling windows because of the wind, not to mention other guests slamming their doors which drove me crazy.

Breakfast... I had coffee, eggs, sausages, tomatoes. I survived.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank Louisafrombelgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I'm just back from a 2 night stay in this hotel. It was my second time to stay there and standards have dropped considerably. We stayed in the annex which is detached from the main hotel. The room was tiny with a sloped roof making it seem even more claustrophobic. The windows howled with the slight breeze outside. Breakfast was very poor. I recommend the toast and yogurt as the cooked goods are not appealing. At reception I had no problems but I didn't find them particularly helpful. Renovations are taking place but as the hotel are still open they should try to maintain some standard. On my way to reception to check out I passed 3 black bin bags and some loose bedlinen on the paths. Surely the staff can clean as they go? I will be back in chiswick, but I won't be back here.

• Stayed February 2014
8 Thank Gaagirl
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

My partner and I stayed here for one night whilst visiting West London for a friend's birthday. We have stayed in Best Western Hotels before and they are usually of a decent standard and a reliable and affordable place to stay. The same is not true of this hotel. Starting with the pros, the location is convenient from the M4 and the free parking facility was good. The hotel is great for bars and restaurants on Chiswick High Road and convenient for getting into the West End. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, that is where the good points for this hotel end. Whilst our room was modern and clean, it was in a separate annexe from the main building which was accessed down a dark alley - not ideal if you are a single guest. Our room was located in the basement of the building which was accessed via a dark and cramped stairwell - not ideal if you are carrying lots of luggage. We didn't have a particulary good sleep as the room was very hot; the bed was tiny; and despite being underground there was still a fair bit of traffic noise.

Breakfast was taken in the main building and the dining room was reminiscent of a hostel and not a hotel that claims to be a "palace". As mentioned in previous reviews, breakfast was absolutely appalling - one of the worst hotel breakfasts I have ever experienced. Coffee was out of a machine served in tiny little cups. The orange juice tasted weak and watered down. The bread for toast was clearly supermarket value and piled up in a basket with some sorry looking croissants stuffed down the side. The sausages were of a very low quality (possibly chicken sausages) and the bacon, whilst looking like bacon, tasted like ham. I dread to think what tourists arriving at this hotel from Heathrow after a long flight must think of English food when they have to eat muck like this. Very poor quality!

The main hotel building is very tired and desperately in need of sprucing up. Admittedly, some building work did appear to be happening on the front of the building, but this meant that the side door had to be used to get into the hotel. Opening the side door to get to reception, one could look right into the pantry where breakfast was being "heated up" by a group of scruffy looking "chefs" who seemed to be stood around talking and not getting on with their jobs - not a sight you wish to see when arriving at a hotel.

Overall, we were very disappointed with this hotel and whilst I do have faith in the Best Western brand, I think the cooperative need to take a careful look at this place as it really isn't conforming to the standard expected, particularly for the price paid.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank jimboss700
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

Luckily I was only staying for three nights. Arrived to find that I my room was over on the other side of their car park down an alleyway and then up the most narrowest flight of stairs possible.
I had booked a double room but seriously if there had of been two of us staying in it then one person would be sleeping up against the wall as there was only room around one side of the bed.. You wouldn't of been able to get a cat into the room let alone swing it!! Also just did not feel safe due to the fact that the rooms are located in different 'houses' just the thought now gives me the shivers

Breakfast well - everyone was moaning about the quality of the breakfast after almost choking on the coffee I decided to get breakfast elsewhere..

8 Thank Fiona G
Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed here for six nights, working in London. The location was convenient, but it is VERY overpriced. Arrived as a female alone, and was not happy to be taken down an alley to another building in the dark, and was about to be shown into a basement / cellar. When I protested I was told that if I had not wanted to stay underground I should have said so when I booked ! evidently there were no rooms in the main building. They did find me a room in the same annex which was okay. Although I did not feel safe and lay awake wondering how I would get out if there was a fire at the bottom of the one very narrow staircase. However, it served the purpose of me having to work in London for a week. Breakfast was not good. For some reason it is a vegetarian breakfast and comprises of cereal, tinned peaches or tinned pineapple in syrup, not very good coffee out of a vending machine, eggs, baked beans, tomato, and cheap sliced bread to make your own toast. After a whole week I longed for some fresh fruit and bacon. This was not worth £100 a night. The room was far too hot until I turned off the heated towel rail, and why can you never get a plug to keep the water in the wash basin ? And why was the water only Hot or Scalding Hot ? The only time I got cold water was when the person in the room above had a shower. It served its purpose.

Room Tip: Tell them you don't want to have a room in a basement.
Paris
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is a rather tired hotel with ageing carpets and furniture, intermittent but free broadband and, if you are unlucky enough to be in the annexe, time to get drenched going for breakfast - which itself is a disappointment - not cooked fresh, no fresh fruit, full English but not a rasher of bacon in sight, machine coffee. Decent location and well placed for restaurants etc. but not a palace by any means.

Room Tip: Refuse the annexe and avoid the main road
1 Thank Malcolm C