“Very Dissapointed”

Ranked #336 of 556 London B&B and Inns
gloucestershire
“Very Dissapointed”
Reviewed 1 March 2010

Room very small bath room even smaller could touch the toilet from the shower.

Breakfast was dreadfull consited of choice of brown or white bread sliced, butter and jam of your choice. There was also a egg that had been boiled in its schell for over the 30 mins. So the ring was black inside. With choice of tea or coffe.

How this hotel got 4 stars is a wonder.

The TV in room when we finally got the ariel in was a choice of only 4 english channels no BBC news or Sky News.

Paid over £200 for a few nights i dont think it was worth it was more like a cheap B+B

The room was over hot the heating were the heateing was brokon and couldnt be turned down hence had to open a window to controll the heat.
Was nosiy when another room used the shower could hear pipes rattle.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Naybev, Manager at Nayland Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2010
Thank you for your review which is considered. We have a policy to accept the reviews/comments of our customers as an indicator for further improvement. However we need to clarify the following:

1. The small size of rooms is quiet common in small hotels such as ours specially in city centres. That's why are know as guest accommodation.

2. We apologise for the quality of the boiled egg. Your comment is noted with our thanks. Reference Breakfast we offer continental buffet breakfast which includes besides the items mentioned, choice of cereals, ham cheese , orange squash, skimmed and semi-skimmed milk . We strongly believe that according to our standards we offer a good breakfast.

3. Im affraid the rating system of hotels in UK is a little complicated and is confusing. The rating is divided into 2 categories "Hotels" and "Guest Accommodation". Each category have its own standards and requirments. Our property is as Guest Accommodation and according to the requirments of this category we have been recently assessed by the official body as 4* Guess accommodation.

4. In addition to the TV cahnnels mentioned we have international channels curtesy of our foreign customers. In all, we have 11 channels.

5. Some times is the problem that customer is mislead and expecting more than they should, is at the point of sale. so we dont know from where guest book and pay for the accommodation. Therefore, we cannot comment . General speaking if the customer was expecting to stay in a 4* hotel in central London he/she should expect to pay £200 per room per night and not for the entire stay.

6. Apologise for the heading and noice but unless we are informed that the heading was broken we would have arrange to fix it and check for the noice.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Warwickshire
Reviewed 28 February 2010

The Nayland Hotel is in an excellent location for exploring London with easy access to the tube and within walking distance of the centre if the weather is on your side - that's the positives.... On the downside, the room was very small but I guess it's what you come to expect from London, however the room was also very noisy as unfortunately we were situated next to the lift and could hear the lift gearings working everytime the lift was used - (I wish people would use the stairs!). We also searched high and low and couldn't find the tea & coffee making equipment - because there wasn't any! On the surface the room appeared clean but look a little closer and there was enough hair in the bathroom (not ours I hasten to add) to make a small toupee.
I never expect much from a continental breakfast and wasn't disappointed, wafer thin cheese slices (I didn't know you could get them that thin) toast and cereal and orange squash! Surely even fresh orange concentrate wouldn't cost that much and would be improvement - But at least breakfast was included in the price which is a plus and the serving staff were attentive and friendly.

When we stayed at the Nayland we were about the only English staying there and I felt sorry that this was the experience that some of the foreign travellers would take away from their stay in England - I really think we can do better! It probably wouldn't take that much to improve things at the Nayland. It's the little things that count that are so often missing and unfortunately on this occasion a lot of them were - must try harder!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 14 February 2010

Stayed in a very small single room - could touch both walls when I stretched but this is London! The room was clean and I had being a bit concerned by the other negative reviews but definitely no bedbugs!
Breakfast was basic but enough, cereal, toast, boiled eggs, ham. Staff were nice and could all speak English.
Don't buy the internet connection voucher unless you are happy to use it in the reception - I was on the top floor and it did not work in my room (though after some discussion my money was refunded.)
Location is fabulous - a 3 - 5 minute walk from Paddington station.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
nicosia
Reviewed 5 February 2010

Fortunately we were not put off by the great number of negative reviews for this hotel in trip advisor and did not cancel our booking. Stayed for a week in mid january and will definitely be going back. The location is excellent and very convenient for shopping, sightseeing and use of public transport. The staff are friendly and with very good command of the english language, although some look overworked. The room was not particularly spacious, but nevertheless cozy and clean, warm (although it was snowing outside!) and quiet. Breakfast was no frills continental breakfast, but more than adequate and served in a relaxed atmosphere. Communal areas are pretty basic and the wireless internet connection (30 pounds for a week) was usually slow in the room (though very fast in the hotel lobby). Don't book this hotel if you are planning to stay in a lot, but then again.... if you are in London and prefer to stay in the hotel, then perhaps you chose the wrong city to visit!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
PCreagerIV
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Don't even consider booking this hotel!
*I am assuming they had bed bugs. We both woke up every morning with bites from our feet to our faces.
*The night woman was as rude as can be, spoke very little English, and if we asked her a question, the only response we ever got was, "No, I don't know!"
*The TV did not work.
*They could not give us an iron or ironing board.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PCreagerIV
Naybev, General Manager at Nayland Hotel, responded to this review, 22 December 2009
Our 35 years experience in the hotel industry are considered successful mostly because we always consider our guests as the most valuable source of feedback even though the reviews and remarks are unfair such as the present. Why we believe is unfair because:

*Smallest room and bathroom imaginable.You can touch both walls standing on the bed.There is a degree of exaggeration. --Although our hotel is not purposely build hotel, all rooms are regarding as spacious according to the category standards. Guests often forget that the size of the rooms reflect to the category of the hotel. The higher cat the more spacious room.
*My wife had an allergic reaction to the filthy sheets and her nose was running the entire stay. I am assuming they had bed bugs. We both woke up every morning with bites from our feet to our faces.-- The hotel is inspected and approved that is keeping high standards of hygiene conditions in terms of clean rooms and linen. However, is quiet known that hotels are victims of insect intrusion i.e. bed bugs usually with the luggage. Unfortunately guests failed to notify the management of the hotel.
*The night woman was as rude as can be, spoke very little English, and if we asked her a question, the only response we ever got was, "No, I don't know! » -- Although we believe that this comment is a little vague, we would like to stress that our receptionist speaks English fluently. In fact the receptionist in questioned is highly educated and experience and well mannered. If we knew what the subject was, we would have been more precise in our questions.
*The TV did not work.-- The TV is in a perfect working condition and the reason that the corresponding TV was not working is because the set was not switch on from a headboard switch. With the use of a remote control to change channels. Always on check in we notify guests.
*They could not give us an iron or ironing board.-- According to the reception the irons was not available at the time of the request.
*Upon leaving I left my IPhone on the bed, and when I called from the train station to come and pick it up, they stated that the house keeper had turned nothing in. After 45 minutes on the phone, they said the room turned up empty. So there is a London hotel maid with my IPhone as we speak. --- This is a very serious issue and for this reason we thorouly investigate this matter and we found that:
1. The Manager and Housekeeper firmly confirms that there was not any phone left in the room or what is being impliedly mentioned that the phone is in the hands of a hotel maid!. In fact due to short of staff this rooms is been serviced by the housekeeper.
2. The turning time was 20 minutes according to telephone switch board records. Obviously we needed some time to go into the room to check and 20 minutes it seems a fair time to do all that.

If I wasn't a Christian man I would fly back to London and set this hotel on fire to prevent anyone from having to endure what my wife and I endured on our honeymoon.-- We consider this remark as very serious and although we understand the guest’s fillings we strongly believe that his remarks are made under the state of a motion and are completely unacceptable. Finally we need to make 2 points:
1. Why they didn’t discuss all the issues that raised with the resident manager
2. Why they didn’t report the incident of the lost phone to the Police
The possibility to protect our property and rights are under consideration

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Patras, Greece
Reviewed 11 December 2009

The room was really small for two people. We could hear the guests walking and it made it difficult to sleep! The breakfast was non existent and had to go to a nearby restaurant to eat breakfast (recommend the phi lounge, excellent breakfast for just 6 GBP). The breakfast room was too small, you could hear the washing machine working and the lady that served the coffee was dirty! In general the staff was polite.
The only good thing was the location!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MariannaDayio
Naybev, General Manager at Nayland Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2009
We thank the guests for there review which we are consider them helpful towards improving our services. However we need to clarify some remarks so that will not leave wrong messages.
* Room size are according to the category of the hotel,its characteristics and nature. Is quiet common in London and other cities in europe, that hotels in city centers not have spacious rooms.
*Noice -Again the structure of this hotel are not made for noice proofed materials although, our effort was to minimise as much as possibility the effect of noice.
*Breakfast room is spacious enough to accommodate with a seating capacity which is reflected by the total number of rooms.
* We aknowledge the remark for the serving staff. Although that our cleaning standards are high you can find some times some exemptions which we are trying to minimise as much as possible.
*Finally we would like to thank the guests of the appreciation that our staff are polite
farnborough
Reviewed 28 November 2009

4 Star hotel?? I would struggle to give it 2 stars!!! Upon arrival it appeared a nice quiet hotel. I pre booked a double room which I presumed would be a double bed and fairly spacious. How wrong I was! The room had 2 single beds and was very small with hardly no room to walk around! The TV didn't work and in the 'tiny' en suit bathroom a glass on the side had dirty tooth paste dried on to the bottom. The shower was dirty with the previous guests hair still present!! Upon raising my concerns to the receptionist, she began to argue with me telling me that it was impossible that this could happen. I was told by the manager that I should've made them aware as soon as I found the faults. I explained that I had only arrived 20 minutes prior. The receptionist argued that I had booked in at least 2 hours and insinuated that the issues were caused by my usage. I asked her to check what time I checked in, after a few minutes telling me that it was at least 2 hours she checked and then realised that it had been 40minutes. She then argued that it wasn't 20minutes like I stated. I found her mannerisms and attitude totally unnacceptable. They did however sort out the TV and glass but failed to remove the hair left from the previous guest. The buffet breakfast would be excellent choice if you like toast, cereal, cheese, ham and cold hard boiled eggs. Oh and you can wash it down with orange squash!!!! The breakfast was pitifull!! I had to go else where when I checked out! Overall, the hotel was in a good location but that was about the only positive thing I could find. My advice to anyone wanting to book this hotel, DON'T. You would have better comfort and more value for money in a Premier Travel Inn!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple