“Rude staff and inconsistent”
Review of Nayland Hotel

Nayland Hotel
Ranked #336 of 579 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Of all the hotels and inns we stayed in England, this was by far the worst experience we could imagine. We arrived to the hotel at 1pm which was 1 hour early. They told us to take all our luggage 3 doors down to their sister hotel to store which we did. The person at the front desk had no affect whatsoever, we could not even get a smile out of him. When we returned and retrieved our own luggage, he told us he was giving us a room with two queen beds which we really did not need but thought it was like an upgrade. Our room was down in the basement. When we got off the elevator there were cleaning supplies and dirty linen on the floor. It smelled like overwhelmingly strong Pine Sol. Our room had a row of windows above the two beds with bars on them and the garbage bins as a view. People were walking out there and I had to use the bathroom, if I did not close that door, they could all see me on the toilet! Of course we complained and they moved us to a smaller room on the main floor which was fine. We asked for a 430am wake-up call as our flight from Heathrow left at 9am. He said he would put in for our wake up call. An hour later, as we were leaving to go sightsee, we mentioned to him again about the wake up call. He confirmed that he had our room #415 and the wake up call scheduled for 430am. Well, the next morning as my husband tripped over the luggage to get to the bathroom, we checked the time and it was 6am! We rushed to get out and asked the front desk why we did not get a wake up call to which he replied "you should have asked me for a wake up call." We asked what time he came on shift, he said 2am! We asked for a cab and a van came to take us to the station, charged us flat rate $15 instead of the $5. I understand it was early morning, but he should have mentioned this to us before. The staff - 2 different men were cold, rude and nasty. All other hotels we stayed at in England were fantastic including the Rochester Grange at the same price as well as several inns and b/b's outside of London- all better prices than this one. The only positive was that it was near Paddington Station but there were dozens of hotels on this street we could have stayed at. Thinking back, I wish we had booked at the Best Western next door.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sevens2003

Reviewed 24 August 2010

We found the staff helpful. We arrived early and were allowed to store our thing two dorrs down. Our room was ready at 1 PM. It was on the back side of the building and was quiet. The temperture was mild 20C when we went to bed. It was comfortable without AC. Breakfast was nice. We had cereal with skim milk, coffee, toast and jam. Filling if not elaborate. Our friends stayed at a hotel 2 blocks away and breakfast was an extra 15 pounds. It was easy walking distance from Paddington Station in a nice, park like atmosphere. We caught the sightseeing double decker bus near the station which took us to the main London attrations. It was a good value.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My girlfriend has already booked and paid for this hotel before we saw the review - a lesson to learn for the future. We had a twin bed in our room to share. I've expected a small room, so no complain on that. However, my bed linen was not clean. It has stain of a squashed dead bug on the white sheet. I agree with what most people wrote about the hotel and its breakfast. I would not recommend anyone to stay here because the hotel is not clean.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank NomadBali
Reviewed 3 August 2010

This is not a Hotel. It is even trying to be a b&b. Someone must check the rating and see why it holds four stars. Two is more than enough for what I have seen. Service not good. Not clean. One wonders how they can put online and advertise in such a way and get you trapped into an accomodation venue that does not hold the value given. Overprized. Walking into the Hotel to check in found no friendliness than just 'here is your key'. Walking into the room, aawwww smelled terrible. The shower was not cleaned. What to say about the breakfast. What breakfast? Toast, eggs and cheese, Thats it. Stay away. Away, away.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2010

There was a nice young woman on reception who attempted to speak to us when we arrived but she was interrupted by a surly young man who could do with some lessons on how to be friendly and pleasant to customers. A while later we came down to see and hear the same young woman being berated in the lobby by a different but equally surly older man. Very uncomfortable situation. A business should not deal with their staff issues in the lobby!
The room was so small that we had to climb over our suitcases to get into bed. Our room was next to the road and the traffic noise all night was very disturbing. In the morning we both woke up covered in an itchy rash! We bought sleeping bag liners to use for the remainder of our stay. On the plus side, the hotel is in a very good location with Paddington station only a short walk away. I would only recommend this hotel as a last resort.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Having read the reviews just before leaving home, we approached the hotel with some trepidation, but we were pleasantly surprised. The fist thin I checked was the bed linen and mattress and they were very clean. The rest of the room was very clean. The bathroom was clean and completely mould free. The towels were a little dingy, but they were thick and hole free. There was a smell of toast, which actually woke me both mornings, but our room was directly above the breakfast room. (room 111). We had breakfast at the nearby Lite Bite on the London Road, which was excellent. If I owned the hotel, I would remove the toaster (or improve the extractor system) and for a 4* I was very surprised there was no tea/coffee facilities in the room. We have stayed in many hotels all around the world including the Jumeirah Beach and The AtlantisT, both in Dubai, so we know what we're talking about. You get what you pay for. This is a modest, clean, functional hotel n a brilliant location. Finally, I can't believe the guy with the bed bug bites actually booked more nights after all of his complaints!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2010

I travel, and I have been to many hotels, motels, B&B, inns, etc. This was not a good experience, and I kick myself in the foot for not reading the tripadvisor comments before I made my reservations, but when stranded in Londodn due to the ash cloud mess, you tend to have little time to do your homework.

I woke up with well over 50 stings on my body, and some fresh blood on the sheet where I apparently smashed a bug during my sleep. I had no idea it was bed bugs until I saw a doctor two days later. Hygene in this hotel is obviously substandard. When I informed the receptionest upon my checkout, I did not get an appology, nor any sort of understanding or sympathy. Not even a thank you for letting them know. The bloody sheet was not even changed.

Upon check in, we waited till 3:00 PM to get our room, we were made to wait for 1 hour 45 minutes. Towels were very old, and some had big holes in them . They were rags not towels. Staff was rather friendly, but management is pretty screwed up. My initial stay was for 2 days, and I extended via Expedia for another 2 days. Manager did not appreciate that I did it through Expedia and gave me a lecture over and over and over. They would not let me keep the room that I was already in, and moved me to another, then to another, and then to another. It was 9:00 PM when I got the last room at an adjoining hotel. The last room was a bit spacious, but it was clear to me that the manager wanted to screw with me because I booked through expedia at a low rate.

Breakfast was not impressive, but they did indicate Continental Breakfast, so no complaints there. Location is rather good, there are many hotels in this area, try to avoid the Nayland, not worth it.

I disagree with teh star rating. Expedia shows it as a 4 star, but it really is more like a 2 star. Whoever gives these ratings has never been to theh Nayland Hotel. Other guests had similar observations. Not likely to book there again, just not hygenically acceptable to me.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business