“Brilliant find”
Review of Windmill Clapham

Windmill Clapham
Ranked #105 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Great location close to family & a good stroll round the common, kind & helpful staff, lovely comfy rooms

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank ifonlyicarusknew
There are newer reviews for Windmill Clapham

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed on 24-26 December and found this to be a gem. The modern hotel is tacked on the side of the pub and it has 29 rooms and our was large, well provisioned and comfortable. A plus was the availability of parking - this is usually very difficult in Clapham.
Breakfast on both days was poor. Notwithstanding that it was Christmas day the 'continental breakfast' served in our room was unattractive and consisted only of a croissant, a glass of fruit juice and a packet of cereal. The following morning a tepid, at best, cooked breakfast was served on a cold plate. Given the quality of the accommodation rather better was expected.
The pub is a large barn like building and, because it is open plan, it is difficult to escape the constant piped music that it is presumed to be played for the benefit of the staff.
That all said, the hotel options in Clapham are limited and The Windmill is almost certainly the top of the pops. Would we go again - yes!

Room Tip: A room facing the common is recommended
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sustainer
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Excellent location, Very good accomodation, very good food. Excellent value. Ten minutes from Clapham Junction underground and with a London Transport Day Card for about £7 you can do all the sight seeing you want. Definately stay there again

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ilspago
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Really enjoyed the stay at this hotel. Nice big rooms with a modern touch. Comfortable beds. Very good to have a restaurant and a pub in the same building. Breakfast was very good. Also had good help from the staff during our stay. The surroundings with the Park outside is very good.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank kerstin w
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I have been looking for some time for a really good hotel in London and having tried many others, The Windmill did not disappoint me. It is a great location overlooking Clapham Common, the staff are helpful and friendly, foood is of high quality. The breakfast room is just lovely and all hot food is cooked indididually. I stayed 2 nights and both rooms were well equipped, spacious and quiet. it is a short walk to the tube and the Northern Line takes you into London.
Highly recommended. A pity you can't book through Superbreak!

Room Tip: A superior twin has fridge.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Belsfield69
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I made the mistake of booking this hotel through booking.com and when I arrived I found that there was no room available for me.

An attempt was made to contact me at 16.28 on the day of my arrival to tell me that there was no room available but, by that time I was driving to the hotel and couldn't answer my phone.

By the time I arrived at the hotel at 17.45 it was too late for me to make arrangements to find another hotel to stay at in Clapham and I was forced to stay at another hotel in their chain which was a 20 minute drive away in Wandsworth. This was extremely inconvenient because I had chosen to stay at the Windmill because it was a 10 minute walk away from the party that I was attending that evening.

Had I wanted to stay in Wandsworth I would have reserved a room at the Holiday Inn Express or one of the other budget hotels in that area.

So my advice is if you want to stay at this hotel book with them direct and do not trust any other web site to make the reservation for you.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Caroline W
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Stayed here on a business trip in a superior room, definitely was not disappointed! Huge pub with huge character slightly quirky with bags of style but great service. Room was huge!! Bed was Huge!! Facilities were great tea, coffee biscuits were off top quality etc, bathroom was really lovely. Fabulous room to relax in after a few days at a trade show, breakfast was a big wow!! Where smoked salmon comes as standard!!

Only little gripe & its only because I was spoilt so I feel a little mean mentioning it but it states in the superior rooms it includes fresh coffee, it wasnt in the room nor was it explained anywhere how to order it. I thought I would either have a machine or an explanation of how to order, I dont believe at this level of service you should leave the guest pondering the fact or having to ring to ask...Its a silly point but I feel I have to mention it.

Im really looking forward to going back on pleasure with my partner..:)

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the main road over looking the common
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business