We have stayed here twice, as it is very handy for visiting family in Clapham. Each time, we took a superior double room.
The 1st room was I renovated and definitely tired, but comfortable. The 2nd room had been renovated, and looked much fresher, but for us it was neither as comfortable or as practical. For example, the chairs were not comfortable and there was no drawer space for clothes. It's a nuisance living out of suitcases for a week!
However, the rooms were clean and (despite the very active bar scene downstairs) quiet.
There's no lift, so take light luggage if you can't secure a ground floor room.
The staff were very helpful (including with luggage).
The included breakfast was ample and adequate. We didn't try the evening meal choices, but there are so many good places to eat nearby that you are spoiled for choice.
Location is very handy, with buses virtually at the front door, and a tube station 10 minutes away in either direction. A really good feature is the expanse of Clapham Common just outside. Great for walking, running etc, although not so great when some overamplified event is conducted there from 8 am on a Saturday morning.
One complaint is the absurd heat level in the corridors, which seeps into the rooms and makes them very hot. There is room air conditioning, but its not quiet (at least, in our room). You can open the windows, but again probably would want to. Close them at night for quietness.
It's good honest value accommodation, without too many frills but with a decent level of comfort. They must be doing something right, because it is regularly booked out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Windmill is a beautiful 42 bedroom boutique hotel situated right on Clapham Common. All rooms have air-con, mini bar, safe, nespresso coffee machines, full Sky TV package (including movies & sports) hairdryer, iron & ironing board. We are also a historic pub with a lively bar, separate dining areas and a wonderful outside beer garden for those elusive sunny days ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Windmill Clapham reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Windmill On The Common Hotel London
- Windmill On The Common London