“Very comfortable”

Ranked #95 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I recently stayed at The Windmill and found it a very pleasant experience. The room was spacious and very clean and tastefully decorated, I assume it was one of the recently refurbished ones. The bed was extremely comfortable and the breakfast menu was extensive, I had some of the best eggs florentine I have ever tasted. There was building work going on but this was not allowed to spoil my stay and had been clearly flagged up on the website. This is a pub as well as a hotel and was very popular but this made for a good atmosphere rather than a nuisance. Iwould definitely stay here again and would recommend it to friends and others.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicky M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Bahrain
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We spent the night of 1st May at the Windmill. Finding the hotel took a couple of false attempts as signage wasn't too clear but on the plus side there was space in the car park. The receptionist was helpful and friendly and gave good directions on how to get to our room. The winding route up the flights of stairs with a heavy suitcase was a slight challenge but the newly decorated room made up for that. The colour scheme and furnishings and fittings were well thought out, the shower worked well (good water pressure), the bathroom offered all amenities and the bedroom itself was cosy with tea and coffee making facilities (including a fancy coffee machine), fresh milk in the fridge, and biscuits, and best of all a hairdryer that actually worked and was not fixed to the wall!

We had been warned that building works were ongoing but were actually woken by the beer delivery lorry, with a lot of clanging and banging around at 6am for half an hour or so, but the construction work didn't appear to be that noisy.

The breakfast selection was good, my husband chose the full English and there was quite a plateful, whilst I stuck to a crusty loaf (not Mother's Pride sliced!) and a nice thick yoghurt. The waitress service was fine so no complaints there. The previous night we ate some starters from the menu at the bar and the food was not gourmet but perfectly edible.

All in all we thought the place was good but agree with another reviewer that it is a little pricey and if you really only want a bed to sleep in and are going to be out for most of your stay then a Holiday Inn Express or Premier Inn is probably cheaper and the way to go. We would go back for another stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Liskeard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and myself stayed at The Windmill Hotel so as to be near my son who also lives on the outskirts of the Common so this was an ideal location for us. Despite previous reviews, we found the staff and waitresses very polite and helpful and have no negatives. The reception staff were also very helpful and friendly. The room was very well decorated and fully equipped with everything we needed. It was clean and spacious and we had a room overlooking Clapham Common. This would have been the quietest room if only there were NO building works being carried out. On booking, we were notified that there would be some 'dust setttlement' due to building works being carried out until end of May 2014. This did not appear to be an issue at the time of booking and it turned out that there was NO dust visible at all. What they fail to tell you is that the builders start to arrive between 7am and 7.30am and talk loudly outside the window. They then proceed to use an hammer drill and bang,bang, BANG all day apart from their breakfast, lunch and tea break! We were there for a birthday visit and on the first morning after the night before were woken at 07.30 by banging and drilling. Not a pleasant experience after we had travelled along way the day before! The following day was the same and we came back for an afternoon rest...and yes...back to banging and drilling. I took this complaint to the receptionist, who profusely apologised and told me that it was instructed from head office and there was nothing they could do as renovations had to take place. This I understood and it was not her fault. She offered to move us to another room but we had unpacked everything and as we were out the next two days we decided not to move but at least the offer was there. I could not understand why we were put into this room if there were spare rooms in a quieter area though and questioned this. As there was no answer to this she kindly took £40 off our final bill as a goodwill gesture. She was very understanding and helpful and I would like to thank her for this. All I can say is that..yes..the rooms are slightly overpriced but it is a lovely place and I would imagine, normally a quiet area depending on the room you are staying in ( hopefully not over the bar area) The rooms are lovely and the staff are friendly, the location is good and the Common is well looked after. Just be prepared for the noise if you are staying there through May 2014! We will stay there again for sure and would recommend this as an ideal place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms 24, 25 or 26
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The guests of the hotel have no sitting area, and no privilege for sitting in the pub. The receptionist stated that the restaurant is open till 22:00 but in fact we were told that they actually meant that the kitchen closed at 21:30, and we were not given false information. The restaurant was in fact closed long time before, even the lights were off.
In general the management has not decided if this is a hotel or a pub. My experience was more like a B&B over a local pub. Disappointing considering the price we paid, and the effort they put in the rooms' decoration.

Room Tip: Room 15 is the largest but it is above the bins of the pub.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank George29100
Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The windmill is OK it is not the height of luxury it is really a pub with rooms but it is about the only hotel type accommodation in Clapham. It is not cheap for what it is but the choice is limited and it always seems to be full. We have stayed three times and nothing has gone wrong. Never eaten an evening meal there but the breakfast is good.
The service has always been all right and this is the choice if you want to stay in Clapham.

Room Tip: Room 12 is OK.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Anoyira, Cyprus
Reviewed 22 February 2014

A converted Edwardian or Victorian house with lots of character, the hotel is undergoing a major refurbishment program. A place to park your car as there's no point trying to drive around London. The room we had was very comfortable and we both had a good nights sleep during our stay. The breakfasts are very good, freshly cooked to order and they arrive piping hot, non of this under a heat lamp for hours. The bar had a good selection of wine which wasn't too pricey for London. Overall a recommendation, if we need a hotel to stay in London, then we will probably return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I recently stayed at the 'Windmill' on a Friday night in February while attending a social event nearby. Overall, the Windmill is fine for a short stay but it has the potential to be such a great place to stay for a weekend and here is where I think they could improve.

The rooms - These are undergoing refurbishment at the moment, which we were made aware of on the website, so they are a work in progress and there is building work going on which we were fine about. However, what we didn't know was that we would be woken up at 8.00am on a Saturday morning by loud drilling and hammering going on right above our heads.

The location - The Windmill is in a great location on Clapham Common. I arrived by car and my SatNav took me down a dead end before I managed to work out where the Windmill was, it turned out it was right next to where I drove down and I saw a number of guests do the same thing so some simple signage could help point guests in the right direction. My husband arrived by foot - he actually walked past the hotel twice before calling me to find out where it was - again some simple signage could solve this.

The staff - During the booking process I spoke to a really friendly and helpful female receptionist but on arrival I was greeted by a really grumpy man who checked me in and muttered that our room was outside. When I asked whereabouts - it was like I had asked for the moon on a stick as he muttered the directions were down a pathway - which I eventually managed to find on my own while laden with luggage in the pouring wind and rain. A little later we asked the same receptionist to book us a taxi, once again this was done begrudgingly and the taxi company weren't even told where to take us + they were awful and overpriced. We used a much better cab company to bring us home - their advert was on the back of the hotel business card (Greyhound Cabs) and were much better and cheaper!

It's also worth mentioning that when we were checking out in the morning there was a much nicer friendlier receptionist on duty, so maybe the grumpy man was just a one off...

Breakfast - was really, really good and the waitress serving us was very friendly.

So, all in all - the Windmill is an okay place to stay in. I think once the refurbishment work has been done it will be much better and maybe the grumpy receptionist will cheer up or bugger off!

Room Tip: While refurbishment work is going on ask if you can stay in the actual hotel building as it didn'...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple