“Little Gem in South London”
Review of Windmill Clapham

Windmill Clapham
Ranked #98 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London
“Little Gem in South London”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I booked my (very fussy) parents in there for one night as it was convenient for me. I booked one of the feature rooms (Room 27). We were delighted with the room - beautifully decorated, extremely clean and had pretty much EVERY single amenity you could ask for. Nothing was missed! Breakfast was very good the following morning too. The staff were all very friendly. I'm so glad I've found this place, I will be booking everyone in who come and visits me now!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nurette

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here on a business trip earlier on this month and I was very satisfied. Upon arrival reception staff were very polite and helpful, my room (Room 9) was very well furnished and very clean, didn't want to get out of bed in the morning (it was that comfy) but unfortunately I had to as I had an important meeting to attend. My evening meal was lovely and the bar/restaurant staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was also lovely, I choose the royal cooked breakfast that included fresh salmon with eggs benedict, just what I needed to kick start my day. Can't wait until my next visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Hayley D
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights whilst on a course in Abbeyville Village. Asked for a quiet room and got one. Perfect in every way. Double aspect windows with fab view. Felt like I was staying in someone's home. Shabby chic room, comfy bed and crisp linens. Reception staff welcoming efficient and friendly. Food in glasshouse nice, service efficient but not so friendly. Young man on reception when I left on Sunday 8th June at 2pm who was helpful and a credit to Youngs. Would definitely stay again, in a 3rd floor room

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We spent one night here whilst visiting our daughter who lives in Clapham. We were very impressed with the standard of the accommodation. There were 6 of us in 3 rooms. All the rooms were slightly differently decorated. They had recently been refurbished and were done to a very high standard.The rooms ere very clean, the beds were comfortable and the shower was powerful. There was fresh milk in the mini bar fridge for tea and coffee in the room, which was so much better than UHT milk in containers, and chilled water.
The breakfast was informal with a buffet and excellent choice of cooked food. Good atmosphere in the dining room. I can recommend The Windmill for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: We liked the upstairs rooms overlooking the common.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah B
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here for one night on business. Locations is amazing, great set up with common next door, tube station 5 mins walk (Clapham South), and the pub looks good on approach.

The hotel and building are on a shabby chic style, a tad modern twee, but amazing in detail, design and layout.

Check in at reception was ok, needs to maybe calm down the reminders of fining you for losing this (£200 for a room card), fining you if you do the other, that sort of thing.

There is still some building work taking place at the property, but this did not effect our stay in any way. The entire hotel side is amazing and well worth a visit.

The Breakfast was very relaxed, well set out and food was great.

We were told the bar was open until 1am, however getting served was a tad laborious, having to be told the bar is closed, then to go to reception to place a drinks order, where you cant see what they have at the bar!

The only real negative point was one member of the group being informed that an item had gone missing from the room, of which needed to be returned This was later found to be incorrect and left a slight bad taste with our group. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of nik naks, decorations and vintage style items, which make the rooms and settings what they are. So keeping track must be difficult, however having some facts and contacting the guest and not the travel company to raise incorrect problems may show the hotel to be slightly up tight, when you add this to the fines mentioned at check in.

Overall, go and try this hotel, great place, just a few tweaks and it will be perfect.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

very noisy wooden floors and even noisier Hen Parties managed to keep me awake all night. The room was very comfortable and the facilities in room very good also. the Hotel is let down by the noise I'm afraid. Ive never understood why when designing a hotel they opt for wooden or hard floors. We were right next to the reception and all I heard all night was people coming and going waking me up at regular intervals. I could even hear the night porter making his cup of tea. Other wise a really once appointed boutique hotel.

Room Tip: choose a room as far away from the reception area as possible
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Crazyhorse3
Cheshire
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed for one night at the hotel in May 2014. The entrance from the main road deceives as it's really the entrance to the pub which shares the same building as the hotel.
The rooms have been very tastefully updated and they are quite luxurious. The period charm of the hotel has not been lost with the upgrades and the rest of the hotel and bar all have very nice decorative features.
The hotel sits on the edge of lovely Clapham Common and is a mere 10 minutes walk from the nearest tube station. There is some space for parking if you're arriving by car.
The staff are all friendly and accommodating. We enjoyed a very nice breakfast with plenty of choice. We didn't have an evening meal here due to other commitments but would liked to have done. The menu looked quite inviting and hopefully w would sample this next time we stay.
We found the bar lively and characterful and felt quite inviting.
It really is a very nice building and a pleasant stay all round.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the park (Common) for a green view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends