“A good place to stay”

Ranked #97 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“A good place to stay”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed two nights for the Wimbledon finals - room was very well decorated and furnished and with the added bonus of a Nespresso coffee maker . Very comfortable bed that in my opinion compared well with the beds in the Marriott hotels .

Restaurant was OK - first night Saturday - loud musak pervaded the eating area and it was quite hard to hear a conversation . A glass of Sauvignon Blanc for £6.25 was a bit of a rip off . All the wines were unnecessarily expensive and the food over elaborate for what is basically a hotel within a pub . Second night - Sunday - was better as the restaurant moved to another area near the front of the hotel and there was no musak . Service on both occasions was very good . Breakfast on both days was really excellent .

The reason why we have rated it only 4 stars is because there was a cockroach in the bedroom which was removed by the reception staff - ground floor rooms leading onto the rear of the hotel need to be avoided.

Room Tip: See the comment about ground floor rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Newbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here for 1 night and it was a lovely surprise. The quality of the fixtures and fittings in the room were more than we expected for 3 star, a real gem! The staff were very helpful and the bar staff could not have given us better service when we came back from a long day out and about. The food was good, the atmosphere welcoming and relaxing and the service great.

The room was quiet, breakfast which was included was wide ranging and fresh, free parking was a bonus and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Norwich
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Booked an overnight stay as part of a surprise trip for my wife to see her childhood hero Stevie Wonder at the Calling Festival 29th June on Clapham Common. How glad I did. It really made the trip complete. Excellent decor throughout, lovely little touches in the rooms - real milk, cappuccino machine in room. Great staff at reception and breakfast. She loved it all, including the festival, and wants to return. Enough brownie points to keep me going for a year....thanks Windmill.

Room Tip: Room 12 on the ground floor at the rear/side so quiet, but quite dark as bushes outside but no matte...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I booked my (very fussy) parents in there for one night as it was convenient for me. I booked one of the feature rooms (Room 27). We were delighted with the room - beautifully decorated, extremely clean and had pretty much EVERY single amenity you could ask for. Nothing was missed! Breakfast was very good the following morning too. The staff were all very friendly. I'm so glad I've found this place, I will be booking everyone in who come and visits me now!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nurette
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here on a business trip earlier on this month and I was very satisfied. Upon arrival reception staff were very polite and helpful, my room (Room 9) was very well furnished and very clean, didn't want to get out of bed in the morning (it was that comfy) but unfortunately I had to as I had an important meeting to attend. My evening meal was lovely and the bar/restaurant staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was also lovely, I choose the royal cooked breakfast that included fresh salmon with eggs benedict, just what I needed to kick start my day. Can't wait until my next visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Hayley D
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights whilst on a course in Abbeyville Village. Asked for a quiet room and got one. Perfect in every way. Double aspect windows with fab view. Felt like I was staying in someone's home. Shabby chic room, comfy bed and crisp linens. Reception staff welcoming efficient and friendly. Food in glasshouse nice, service efficient but not so friendly. Young man on reception when I left on Sunday 8th June at 2pm who was helpful and a credit to Youngs. Would definitely stay again, in a 3rd floor room

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We spent one night here whilst visiting our daughter who lives in Clapham. We were very impressed with the standard of the accommodation. There were 6 of us in 3 rooms. All the rooms were slightly differently decorated. They had recently been refurbished and were done to a very high standard.The rooms ere very clean, the beds were comfortable and the shower was powerful. There was fresh milk in the mini bar fridge for tea and coffee in the room, which was so much better than UHT milk in containers, and chilled water.
The breakfast was informal with a buffet and excellent choice of cooked food. Good atmosphere in the dining room. I can recommend The Windmill for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: We liked the upstairs rooms overlooking the common.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family