Astor Kensington Hostel
US$177
US$160
Official Hotel Site
  • Restaurant
Hilton London Canary Wharf(London)(Great Value!)
US$366
US$217
US$188
galahotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewshyde parkcommon roomdaily eventsno liftgreat wifilocation is greatsmall kitchenother guestsbus stopkensington palacenotting hillcentral linetea coffeefew minutes walkthe ground floorbedstube
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Good location, friendly staff, good breakfast and free wifi. The rooms were really clean as well.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank lawrence41035
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My boyfriend booked a twin-private room for us to stay one night while visiting London.

Unfortunately whilst out seeing the sights my wallet was stolen. When it came to checking in late that evening, the staff almost wouldn't let me stay because I didn't have ID! This is despite the booking being made in BFs name, and he had ID. They were actually insisting that I leave and find somewhere else to go! I had to argue with them for ages before they eventually relented, with me giving them my National Insurance number as ID (lucky I knew it off by heart!) So ludicrous but at least I wasn't homeless for the night!

The hostel itself is pretty average. One thing I found strange was that they had no towels, but instead they invite you to use a cupboard full of bed sheets to dry yourself with after showering. Bizarre!

Breakfast was alright, plenty of bread, hot drinks etc but not enough places to sit.

Overall it's fine if you're in the area but personally I wouldnt stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RvR
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This was the first of many hostels that we stayed in while in the UK. It was a great introduction to backpacking and set the standard for many to come.

It was in a great location, in a good area, a quick tube trip into the main city, but surrounded by gorgeous parks and amazing little streets. Close to a main street with biggish shops, take aways, pubs and the like.

The people at the hostel were amazing. Made good friends with a few of the travellers there as well as the staff. They were fun and friendly. Took a little while to get acoustemed to the lifestyle, but we were there for around 6 days so by the end of it we knew everyone and got along well.

The kitchen was fine. Not immaculate but not messy. The fridges were always full, but just squeeze your food in there and you will be fine.

We shared in a mixed dorm of 6 beds. Not too pricey, with a bathroom. Had a few ppl coming in late at night and being disrispectful, and one guy had a big argument with management about his bed, and he was chucked into our room. At first we were put into a room where we couldnt actually get into our lockers under our bed, cuz another bunk was in the way, and our beds were not made (not allocated beds so someone had decided they wanted clean sheets that night and slept in our future to be bed). But we went straight back down to management and they got us a new room. Only thing was that there wasnt enough actual keys for every person in the room. I was travelling with a friend so we only really needed 1 key, but a lot of the guys there were by themselves and it ended up that there was only 3 keys, for a 6 bed dorm.

MASSIVE MASSIVE CLIMB up to our room on the like 7th floor? the place just kept going, but we dealt with it and had fun!

The guys working there organise nightly things like movies or pub crawls or nights out, and we actually met up, after leaving this hostel, at a club on a friday, and all had a good night out, so they are a super friendly bunch.

Overall it was good for the money we paid, i had a great time and i would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Stairs galore so dont go here if you cant handle a hike!!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tori L
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Overall, I thought this was a perfectly fine place to stay. I don't expect much from hostels--I just want to sleep and get out. The beds were fine. There was a bathroom inside the room and the toilet was disgusting and there was some mold in the bathroom as well. In the basement bathroom the hostel owners keep things people leave--deoderant, hair products, lotions even toothbrushes!! There were probably 15 used toothbrushes!! Why they bother keeping them is a mystery to me as I highly doubt anybody, no matter how desperate for a teeth clean, would want to use a strangers toothbrush!! The rooms have lockers underneith the beds that are quite large. You can easily fit a couple of backpacks and other random things inside. The hostel doesn't provide locks for free--they charge 5 for them. Luckily, since we were so exhausted and didn't feel like going on a search for a cheaper one, the locker was big enough for us to keep all of our stuff in one instead of two so we opted to buy the overpriced lock in return for more time and energy.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Persephone5
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I recommend this hostel to everybody who wants to stay in london. The value for Money was really good and it was clean, not noisy and there is Internet, so what else can you ask for =)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo