“Clean, friendly hostel”

Ranked #102 of 838 Speciality Lodging in London
Seattle, Washington
“Clean, friendly hostel”
Reviewed 19 February 2009

This is definitely a hostel I would stay at again. I was traveling with a group of 8 friends, and the 9 bedroom dorm was perfect for us, even though it was on the top floor! There were no elevators, but I'd say that's pretty standard if you aren't staying in a fancy, more expensive place. They provided a pretty standard breakfast (corn flakes and toast), nothing to write home about, but was pretty nice, esp. is you're on a budget.

The hostel was about 2 blocks from the Bayswater station and was close to a market and pub. It was also just a few steps from Hyde Park!

If you're on a budget and want a clean and friendly place to stay, I definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Greek first
Bremen, Germany
Reviewed 24 December 2008

I stayed there with a group for almost one week. Booking process was slow and difficult, but price is good and the location of the hotel is great.
Rooms are tiny, but clean.
Toilet facilities were all out of order except for one, for the whole building. So... you had to wait, and sometimes it was really dirty. But if you ask at the reception, they clean it immediately. For the showers: there were two showers in good condition, but the curtains were stained with mould.
Also the kitchen in the basement was mildewed, upon request, the manager told us, that they were doing some reconstruction work anyway. Well, I saw no workers.
I recommend the hostel only in case you book a room with private toilet and shower, then its a good price at a decent location.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — dirty toilets
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2008

I was on the top floor 4 bed room and it was so tiny!!! I just stayed out as much as possible. There was a sink in the room but I noticed a little toilet rooms on one of the floor had no sink which was a bit gross! Besides that, it was clean and the location was very good but I'm never staying here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 10 September 2008

I enjoyed the location of this hostel a lot right in the Hyde Park area, very accessible to the underground with a lot of things to do right in the area. As far as the hostel itself, my summing up of it was that it was gross enough to force me to get the most out of London, but not so gross that I couldn't sleep there. I made sure I was away every waking moment and only returned for sleep.

I'll provide the disclaimer that this was the first time I stayed in a hostel, and I did not go into it with high expectations at all. I'd say the staff was friendly and great, but the place could be much cleaner. The sink in my room didn't drain very well, which was really gross. The toilets didn't function the best, you had to figure out the trick to get it to work (which most people didn't).

If I had to do it again, I'd probably try a different hostel. I was alone and read reviews about how this was a really easy place to meet people. I found that most of the people hanging out in the common areas are more the people that are on extended stays there. While all nice, they aren't the people that are looking to go explore anything with you. I'd probably try a place with a bar, especially after seeing how the local pubs close around 11pm.

In summary, I would probably not stay here again. At least not until trying a different hostel to compare this one against.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathrooms and Sinks
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank italoamericano79
megfos
Reviewed 24 July 2008

The Astor Quest was the fourth place my friends and I stayed on our grand tour of Europe and it was everything I expected a hostel or budget hotel to be. Everyone working there was incredibly friendly - they were quick with advice or directions and even took requests when it came to the music they played :) You get a card for a bit of free internet time on the lobby computers, but if you need more you can pay as you go for time online.

The room itself was pretty teeny - there was a sink and closet as you walked in the main door, and the two bunk beds were just inside the inner door. There was very little room for 4 people with luggage in the room, but the underbed storage helped (metal drawers - bring a padlock or buy one from the front desk if you so desire).

It came in handy to have the sink and mirror just inside the room, as the bathrooms were limited - there was only one shower and one toilet per floor, which was generally okay (I only had to wait once) but sometimes a pain in the neck. I definitely recommend shower shoes when using the bathrooms.

Breakfast was pretty decent - your average hostel breakfast of cereal, toast, etc. I appreciated the cocoa krispies. I highly recommend getting down there early before all the good food is gone and so you can nab a seat at the tables.

Overall, I liked the Quest. It was a great location (just north of Hyde Park, near Bayswater) and the staff was awesome. While the room was jam-packed, it's to be expected when you're trying to travel on a tight budget in London.

• Liked — Friendliness of the staff, location
  • Disliked — Small room, limited bathroom space
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
Manila
Reviewed 3 July 2008

Clean sheets, clean bathroom! What else can you wish for in a hostel in central london that is less than 40 pounds? There is free wifi and if you do not have a laptop there is also a room where for a small amount you can check your email. Sometimes they give our internet stubs for free! Front desk is also very helpful. Liked the fact that they only accepts travellers 30 who are the ones who are mostly likely travelling on a budget. Bayswater subway is just one block away.

• Liked — price and cleanliness
  • Disliked — a few cliquish unfriendly guests
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 14 May 2008

If for no other reason, I would come back to this hostel for its personality - it's a friendly, young backpacker hostel. It's not big, and it's not luxurious - but it is charming as hell. The walls are brightly painted floor to ceiling with colorful images and murals. The staff is friendly and helped me with a lot of the questions I had about my first time in London.

It's safe enough - each room locks with a key, and the front door locks down after 11 PM. The lounge is intimate - two computers, several couches, a wall painted with a girl breathing fire, a loaner library, and always another traveller to talk to.

I stayed in a four-bed mixed dorm, which was small, clean, and about as comfortable as you can hope for with the cheap price. There are no lockers, but instead big under-bed cages that lock up tightly with a padlock. If you take a bottom bunk, pick the locker closer to your pillow. The room had a HIGH ceiling, and a dark curtain that kept out most of the street lights as we tried to sleep.

The bathroom usually had hot showers - if it's not hot, try it again in ten minutes. The ventilation was a problem - very hard to get the steam out without opening the door!

Breakfast is simple and par for the course for hostel fare - cold cereal, toast, and a variety of spreads. I have no complaints about this.

I think the location of the hostel is great - it really is just down the street from Hyde Park, and it's a very easy walk to Bayswater or Queensway tube - that'll get you anywhere you'll want to go in Central London, so why go closer and put up with more noise and a higher price? Bayswater is not the most exciting neighborhood, but it's got a main drag loaded with all the shops and restaurants you could hope for within walking distance.

I loved this hostel - it had so much character. I would definitely keep staying here in the future!

• Liked — Character, price, friendly staff, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Bathroom ventilation
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo