“Clean, tidy, functional, but!!”

The Balmoral House Hotel
Ranked #675 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I was staying in London for one night and couldn't get accommodation with my friends, so I tried the Balmoral House Hotel. I didn't expect much for £65 per night, but when I arrived, I was greeted well by the staff. They said that they hadn't received the booking, so had to put me in a double room. Great, I thought, but it was on the top floor 5 sets of stairs up!!. Now I am 63 and not as fit as I once was, but the staff never offered to help me with my overnight case, even though they knew that I was going up 5 flights of stairs. The room was fine, with two single beds in an attic room, washbasin, tea/coffee making facilities. No ensuite but a shower/toilet just outside the door. This was shared between three rooms. No trouble for me, all clean and tidy. Breakfast was fine, it was described as a full English by the waitress, but was actually two eggs, two bacon and beans, with toast and fruit juice. Perfectly adequate for me. All in all, you get what you pay for and as long as you don't build your expectations up too high, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 April 2013

There was an initial mix up when we arrived as the hotel had double booked the family room. As a family of five we were spilt into two room on different floors. Not too much to complain about though as they did admit their mistake. We managed to get in to our original room that was in the hotel over the road. Breakfast served btwn 7 and 8.30 but we were advised to be there for 7.45 to avoid queueing. Rooms are of a reasonable standard and clean. Great location for short breaks. Owner, receptionist and breakfast staff very friendly but watch out the grumpy old bloke who covers reception in the early morning. Easy for Lancaster Gate & Paddington and Hyde Park just 5 mins away

Room Tip: Be aware that breakfast in served in one hotel when you may staying over the road
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bertster27
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Well, the pro is the location, a few minutes’ walk from Paddington and easy to get to London attractions. A few other things may be worth mentioning, concerning the owners, the room and the service.
Upon arrival, the female proprietor offered me and my friends a tiny triple room (which would have involved two of us sharing a small-looking double) but as the family room wasn’t booked, we were able to upgrade. Bizarrely, we were instructed not to use the double bed, as we hadn’t paid for it. The male proprietor clearly wasn’t happy about giving us the larger room. During the entire check-in process, a third member of staff sat and stared stonily at us, which was really uncomfortable.
The room itself was an odd layout, as if it had previously been used in a different way and then knocked through to create a family room. The toilet and shower were hidden away behind what looked like cupboard doors, and the shower was tiny. Bigger/taller people will have problems using it. There was no sink with the toilet and so you had to walk through two sections of the room to wash your hands. My friend’s bed was dusty and during the night, she used her inhaler for the first time in years. The bed I slept in was beside a draughty window and also had a draught from behind from the doorway into the section of the room housing the double bed.
But the worst thing was that, although the heating was on when we returned in the evening, it didn’t come on in the morning and the room was absolutely freezing. When we brought this to the attention of the owner as we left, she didn’t believe us – insisting that the heating had come on that morning – and unusually, no apology was forthcoming.
Breakfast is only served until 8:30. The small dining room isn’t equipped to deal with the fact that everyone will obviously choose to have breakfast as late as possible at the weekend, and so we had to queue up the stairs for a table, eventually returning to our room before trying again. Then the plates of food were brought out immediately; the food was clearly already done. Cereal was available but we weren’t given the opportunity to look at that first. The fried eggs (no alternative was offered) were greasy and had a bizarre garlic taste.
Overall, I probably wouldn’t recommend since given our experiences during arrival and departure, there are basic customer service skills lacking, and the room was cold and dusty.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a busy main road and rooms at the front are noisy. Ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Jewel1977
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I even can't remember how often I have stayed in the Balmoral House Hotel - with friends, husband, daughter. Furthermore I recommended the place to many people who also enjoyed staying there. For such a great location, its cleanliness and cooked breakfast one really gets value for money. Wifi in all rooms would be great in the future! I look forward to coming again in May, 2013.

Room Tip: As Sussex Garden sees a lot of traffic it might be advisable to ask for a rear room!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank movielover62
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We stayed this week and found it a little worrying when we arrived to be told that we were not expected even though we had booked on late rooms. After getting to the point that we had booked there was confusion that we had not paid until i spoke to the owners son in law who then confirmed that we had. It was a little worrying at first after a long day of working all you want to do is get to your room and get settled if this process was checked and improvements made it would be better. Overall the room was good and the beds were comfy, the toilet seat was broken in the bathroom which caused some laughter, The breakfast was nice but it could have been abit better than just bacon and egg and maybe had additions of a full breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank andy910
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We stayed here for the 2nd time last weekend. On arrival there was a nervous minute when the Owner said she had no vacancies and was not expecting anymore quests that day, but with a little patience and explaining that we had booked the rooms two months earlier she relented and found our reservation.

The rooms are not overly large, but clean and comfortable. Breakfast is served between 7-8.30am even on Sundays so no lie-ins! It's true that the dining room is small so queues can form, but the food is well cooked and plentiful.

All in all, for the price and location I don't think you can do any better. Just be prepared that the owner is getting on a bit and possibly a bit forgetful. Take it with a pinch of salt.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2012

after booking into the haven hotel in sussex gardens which was like a youth hostel in bangkok .probally put up with it had i been on my own but having my wife and two young children ,seven and three we just couldnt stay three so we walked up the road to try and find an alternative as it was 21.45 we were fearing the worst but we came across the owner of the balmoral hotel and told her our predicerment she then showed us a familly room which was like a palace nice and clean tidy. and for the same price as the haven.the breakfast was realy nice the service was exellent we will definatley be returning

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family