“not happy with the owner”

The Balmoral House Hotel
Ranked #632 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Southampton, United Kingdom
“not happy with the owner”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Bad experience with the owner. When we got there the owner had given our room to another family and put us in a larger one. The owner said, that we didn´t have to pay anything extra. When checking out, she had forgotten, and we had an argument. After we went back to our country, the owner made a bank transfer and paid us.
The hotel itself was good, not the owner.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Just stayed one night here.Room was a little dated but beds were very comfortable.Clean,neat and tidy everywhere.No lift and we were on the top floor ,bit difficult because my partner has asthma ,I should have mentioned this when booking.All staff are very pleasant and helpful.Full english breakfast is only bacon,eggs and tomatoes,but sufficient if a little disappointing.Also toast,jams,croissants,juice,cereals etc so pretty good.We would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: In the front of the hotel you can hear the road traffic but not a huge problem
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aaronp11
norwich
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Even though i stayed 1 night as i was coming back from the dan brown talk the hotel is literally 5 minutes from paddington tube station just go straight down london road and its just round the corner.Also there are loads of restaurants minutes from the tube station.After booking in speaking to a nice pleasant couple was told the room was on the other side of the road no big issue. The single room was small it was what i expected but had everything i asked for its own ensuite etc.Very clean fresh bedding and towels.Woke up in the morning great shower no mold etc went for a great breakfast which was included in the price.Next time i am in london will definitely book again as its just outside inner london but still within 10-15 minutes by tube you can get to leicester square etc.

Room Tip: I was on the top(fourth) floor there was no lift but only had a small backpack so no issues there
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank archer1204
Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela
Reviewed 9 May 2013

After a long flight and being a bit tired we had a slightly bumpy start. However, afterwards we had the pleasure of enjoying this small hotel, greatly located in London. Paddington station is just a few hundred meters away. From there you can go anywhere. We would definetelly stay there again if the occasion presents itself of a trip to London. Both great location and a rather good breakfast is included. By the way, ask for the yogurt at breakfast, it is great and fat free.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Just back from yet another lovely stay at the Balmoral. We have been staying there on visiting London for over 20 years and have never had a problem.
We are always made to feel welcome and it's such a lovely clean and comfortable hotel and the breakfast is good with plenty of choice.
The hotel is a good base for visiting the tourist spots of cenral London as the tube station is only a couple of minutes walk away.
We are both looking forward to staying again in the very near future.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Valerie S
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2013

If you are arriving in London at Paddington, it is hard to beat the location of the Balmoral and the price is very good for London. However, there seemed to be a good deal of confusion about my reservation when I arrived and I was offered two different extremely small rooms (one with the bathroom down the hall) before I was able to get a look at the reservation list and point out that I had been assigned yet another room. My room was on the 5th floor (no elevators) and very tiny, with a bathroom and showder stall that I could just fit into (and I am a small person). Had I been travelling with my husband, this room definitely would not have worked for us but since it was just for one night, I made do. The room itself was clean and the bathroom recently remodelled so no problems there. The breakfast was fine but during most of the time I was in the breakfast room, the owner was having a very loud argument with someone on the phone so that was a rather unpleasant way to start the day. When I am next in London, I will likely stay in the same area but not at this Hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

I was staying in London for one night and couldn't get accommodation with my friends, so I tried the Balmoral House Hotel. I didn't expect much for £65 per night, but when I arrived, I was greeted well by the staff. They said that they hadn't received the booking, so had to put me in a double room. Great, I thought, but it was on the top floor 5 sets of stairs up!!. Now I am 63 and not as fit as I once was, but the staff never offered to help me with my overnight case, even though they knew that I was going up 5 flights of stairs. The room was fine, with two single beds in an attic room, washbasin, tea/coffee making facilities. No ensuite but a shower/toilet just outside the door. This was shared between three rooms. No trouble for me, all clean and tidy. Breakfast was fine, it was described as a full English by the waitress, but was actually two eggs, two bacon and beans, with toast and fruit juice. Perfectly adequate for me. All in all, you get what you pay for and as long as you don't build your expectations up too high, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo