“Enter the dragon...”

Ranked #632 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Cadiz, Spain
“Enter the dragon...”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Generally a nice hotel in a good location. The hotel receptionists were professional and helpful. The cooked English breakfast was tasty and efficiently served. Rooms were cosy and clean. However, the breakfast room is tiny and cramped and guests had to queue on the stairs. The hotel took a 100 pound deposit when I booked, though this was not mentioned on the booking site. Beware if you are booking a single room - although the website says that the single rooms have showers; some single rooms on the 5th floor have a shared bathroom, but are charged at the same rate as those with showers. There is no lift. If you complain, you may face a nasty confrontation with the hotel owner, an elderly Galician lady with a vitriolic tongue and no interest in listening to reason. I did have a problem, and though it was rapidly and courteously resolved by the hotel staff, I was later given an uncomfortable dressing-down which soured the experience for me.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front are noisy. Not all single rooms have showers.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cudyll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Puslinch, Canada
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel, Sept 17 and 18, 2013.
Check in was fine. We stayed in room 10 on the 3rd floor, it was very small but it was a room, no problem.
The entire reason for my trip to UK was to move my daughter from Canada to University in the UK, she will be there for 1 yr. Because this was not a "vacation" trip but a "moving in" trip she had brought along many valuable/ personal items she would need for a full year away from home. In the morning she had been organizing all her items in the room and they were all over the beds. When we went out for the day we did not want the room entered or cleaned. I didn’t think that’s a big deal??? they have no signs to hang on your door that say "Please do not disturb" so I went to the front desk on my way out and talked to the owner, the older lady, I nicely stated that we don’t require any room service today. Her response is "why what did you do?" I did nothing. I said we just don’t want room service to clean up. Her next response was "we are not thieves". I said i didn’t say you were. This went on for a couple minutes. Finally i said "Look, don’t go in the room!"
We got back later that night and somebody had gone in the room, repacked all of my daughters’ items into the 2 big suitcases, zipped them up, put them back on the floor made the beds etc.
I went down and asked her why this had been done, her response was "you are a liar" I was speechless! She continued to call me a liar to my face. finally i told her to go up and look. So my daughter and i go out for supper, when we come back it starts all over again..rrrrrr i go out for a walk to cool down. when i get back to room she is there arguing with my daughter. Saying we made the beds etc..WTF???? I told her i would be writing a Trip Advisor Review, about my experience, then guess what??? she says "sorry" and just walks away. When we checked out the next morning at 5 am she was still there and telling me i better not complain on Trip Advisor about the treatment and the issue.

Bottom line!!!!

It’s not worth the hassle of going to places where they think they have the right to do whatever they want even if it’s against your wishes and then call you the liar or try to blame the client for the owners mistake.
Stay away from this place there are many other similar nicer spots close by.
Cheers Kent

The old guy mentioned in other reviews, well he just sat there watching us, i never saw him move the whole 2 days i was there. lol

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank kentab

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Brackley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

what a strange reception!!. We arrived to a reception area full of guests and had to navigate our way through heaps of cases to the desk to me met by an elderly gentlemen who just stared at us. I handed him our booking confirmation and he continued to stare at us. Not a word! Finally a lady appeared who took over but didn't seem to know what was going on. She even asked me to find our name in the book!! Fortunately it was there and although our room wasn't ready we were able to leave our bags and continue with our day.
The rooms are split between two properties which is also a bit strange so we had to walk across the road for breakfast which wasn't a problem but is a bit disconcerting to start with and would probably be best if it was mentioned when booking. The bedroom was of a reasonable size although it was on the fifth floor with no lift so definitely not suitable for anyone with any mobility problems. The en-suite, although squeaky clean, was tiny and the handle inside the shower had fallen off which could have proved embarrassing had I not been in the bedroom to let my wife out. The entire premises, both buildings, were immaculately turned out both in cleanliness and décor. I don't know if they had been recently refurbished but we could not fault any aspect of it.
Breakfast was OK although a little lacking if one is a Full English purist (eggs, bacon and a scattering of mushrooms) but in line with other reviews it is served too early (7.00 -8.30) and the dining room is tiny so you have to queue up the stairs outside for a table to become available. The staff (with the exception of our arrival experience) all appeared friendly and helpful and had our admiration for how they worked in such a small space without falling over one another.
All in all we enjoyed our stay and we would happily go back and perhaps would not be quite so phased by the oddness of the character(s). Our room rate was £105 which I guess is about the going rate but the hotel does have its own parking spaces which was a bonus for us and at £10 is much cheaper than the surrounding public car parks- a definite plus point.
If we were able to select a "good" that would be our rating but since Trip Advisor goes from "average" to "very good" then we have chosen very good as it was certainly better than average.

Room Tip: be aware of the climb to the sixth floor and request lower levels if needed.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Madrid
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I chose this bed and breakfast for our recent stay in London after reading good reviews here. We stayed there for 7 nights and were generally pleased with our choice. The best thing about this hotel is the location - a few minutes from Paddington Station and Hyde Park. It is an area bustling with tourists and similar hotels and is a safe area. The hotel itself is unpretentious; a traditional type of London Bed and Breakfast establishment. Overall it is clean, wifi is included in the price as is the full English breakfast which is unusual for hotels in London. The price was 95 pounds a night which you have to pay upfront upon arrival. Wifi works intermittantly with a poor signal. The room was not very big but big enough and the beds a bit old but we slept well. The bathroom was tiny with an annoying little basin not big enough to wash your face in but the shower worked fine. There is also a teas made tray but you have to keep asking the staff to replenish it. The staff are very friendly. They are mostly Spanish as are the breakfast ladies. The only downside is the small dining room which is served far too early from 7 to 8.30. If you arrive at 8 you have to queue. What we didn't like was that guests had to share a table with unknown guests. We refused and got told off. After that I queued for the only table for two. Breakfast itself is very good.

Room Tip: We got given room 2 on the ground floor which was actually for 3 thus it was bigger than the others...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

After reading other reviews, I was wary of the staff at this hotel, but was pleasantly surprised by their friendliness and service. What I wasn't prepared for was the size of the single room. Don't know what others in the hotel are like, but mine was on the attic floor across the road from the main hotel and was small, no tiny! The single bed fitted snugly - bedhead against one wall and the foot of the bed against the other. The width of the narrow bed was half the width of the room. This room would better be described as a cupboard.

I put my suitcase on the floor beside the bed, and that meant that it blocked the opening of the door to the room! No windows either! There was a skylight but as it was raining that couldn't be opened, so if you have a fear of small spaces, stay away from this place!! £70 per night to stay in a cupboard was a bit rich for me!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank 24PhilP
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Our family just returned from our week long stay at the Balmoral House Hotel. We have stayed there many times before and the owners make us feel like we are part of their family. They have done so since we first met them in 2001. Some things never change and it is best that they don't. You always know you will get a clean and tidy place to stay and a wonderful English breakfast made to your liking. It is always a treat to come back to Balmoral House, conveniently located near Paddington Station. Lots of wonderful restaurants nearby. We can not wait to return on our next visit to London.

Room Tip: We always ask for a room away from Sussex Garden Rd and have stayed in both 156 and 157. We don'...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

After reading some of the previous reviews on expedia prior to booking, I was under the impression that the hotel was of a decent standard.

Oh how I was wrong. I arrived and was informed that the room was not available but I could leave my luggage. I arrived back late night and had to ring the bell to get let in. I had an encounter with a rather rude woman who had told me the room had been available from when I had arrived and I could have easily been provided with a key. As for the standard of the room at £65.00, it was deplorable. A matchbox sized bedroom with a broken headboard and not even my own toilet or shower. I found the shower in the communal shower had only two temperatures, freezing cold or scalding hot.

This did not represent good value for money. If you are planning on staying in this area, I would suggest the Lancaster Gate hotel where my friends advised me they had a much more pleasant living experience.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends