“Pleasant but nothing special”

Machiavelli Kitchen & Dining Room
Price range: US$12 - US$41
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: Renowned importer of Italian specialty food, Machiavelli now with a new restaurant, Machiavelli Kitchen & Dining Room on Long Acre. Combining retail and all day dining featuring small sharing plates. This is a must for anyone with a love for Italian food!
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We had been to the British Museum and picked up our daughter from Uni for a meal. The surroundings are pleasant. We were in the basement where it is light and the tables are far enough apart. However, service was soooooo sloooow. I had to actually go and find someone to take our order and explain what this dish and that one were on the menu. The meals advertised on the blackboard outside were not all available.

We chose three different main courses: Parmigiana, Tagliolini and Mushroom Ravioli. The portions were OK for the first two, but minute for the Ravioli. My wife and I both thought our meals 'acceptable but nothing special'. A large glass of wine was £9.50. The cheese board for two was again minute portions. The ice cream was very good. The bill was £77 for three. This included three main courses, a side salad, two glasses of wine, a cheese board for two and ice cream. This was, I thought, a bit over the top for something which, in another location, would have been cheaper.

I really despise the 'we are adding 12.5% service charge' mandate Frankly I might have put a fiver on the table - it was impossible to catch the eye of anyone to re-fill our water carafe. But who wants the aggro of arguing about taking the charge off? That would have ruined a pleasant evening with our daughter.

The experience was acceptable, pleasant enough and certainly not a disaster, but not a special evening before we headed back to the provinces and our daughter back to the Uni library.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Failing to find the restaurant we had hoped to eat at due to useless theatre map, we were running short of time when we decided to go into Machiavelli's. It looked pleasant on the outside, and was just as nice inside. The waiter realised we were in a hurry, got us seated and took our orders. We decided not to have the pre-theatre set menu. Instead we both had a main course, one side dish of carrots, and a drink and it was a good decision as we had a while to wait for the meal and we would not have had time for more. The small meal was enjoyable but rather expensive. We were pleased to find somewhere pleasant to eat at short notice but the two small meals, one side dish, one wine and one ginger beer, plus service charge came to £44! I haven't got any complaints but there are better value for money places to eat.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

After an all night flight, we went out searching for a good place for breakfast. We had never been to Covent Garden, so we set off for there. Along our way, we saw a few places that looked like they served breakfast. Machiavelli's looked intriguing and pleasant from the outside. We went in and loved the table we were given by the window, where we could do some people watching while we awaited our food. My husband had their pancakes with real maple syrup, which he loved. He can be a pancake and syrup snob at times, so getting a thumbs up from him means it is 10 stars. I had the Italian Eggs on Toast. They came to me scrambled and as bright yellow as a block of yellow cheddar cheese. I asked the waitress what made them "Italian" and she didn't know, but pointed to a display case where I could by some Italian Eggs. The eggs are organic and the chickens are fed all vegetables. So, I am guessing that the yolks are bright yellow or maybe they are just yolks in the scrambled eggs. I am not at all sure, but they were good. All in all...we give Machiavelli a US 5 star thumbs up. Worth the trip. Expensive, but then, it is London.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Very pretty setting in Covent Garden...mediocre food, at best. I wouldn't return. There is a large "buffet" from which to choose, but they have strict rules about which items one can include - I never did figure out what the waitress was even talking about. The service is uneven, and it's basically a hassle to dine there.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Not a lot of space here, so we were a little squashed along a bar against a wall. But the service was friendly and fairly quick, and the options good. The brioche was a little bland and disappointing, but the "full Italian" well worth a try. Relatively costly.