“Most expensive aubergine in London”

Machiavelli Kitchen & Dining Room
Price range: US$12 - US$41
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: Renowned importer of Italian specialty food, Machiavelli now with a new restaurant, Machiavelli Kitchen & Dining Room on Long Acre. Combining retail and all day dining featuring small sharing plates. This is a must for anyone with a love for Italian food!
London, UK
“Most expensive aubergine in London”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I know people talk about ripoff Britain, and when visiting some places it is difficult to argue with that sentiment.

This restaurant is located in one of what has become one of the most visited parts of London, a short stroll from some of the best known attractions and spots in the UK capital city.

The decor of the restaurant is basic, at least the tables close to the entrance which is where we sat (table still dirty).

The menu looked apetizing and the prices just about ok for what London is, I ordered the melanzane parmiggiana just to be greeted by a minuscule hot plate (10cm diameter perhaps).

I am not for the excesses of US restauruants that pile up food as an act of defiance about the capacity of your stomach, but I rather find difficult to swallow to pay £13 for an amount of food that leaves me hungry.

After 2 mains and 2 glasses of wine (my companion claimed it was in the expensive side of things) wew were given a £50 cool bill.

Sorry, but that is not acceptable.

The food was adequate, the service as good as it can be expected in London (i.e. just bearable). But the price? Ouch.

• Visited April 2014

Retford, United Kingdom
“something different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

staff very friendly, prompt service. Menu good, but for those that like a lot (and I mean a lot to choose from) probably will be a bit disappointed. All I can say is that I'm a fussy eater and I could get a 3 course meal out of their menu. Not used to communal dining though;which seems to be up stairs (a big table everyone sits around) - I guess it's geared for people just wanting quick things, as down stairs has all your tables separate. The cost seems to be the same as any other similar Italian restaurants I've been in, two of us - 3 drinks, 2 main meals and 2 puddings £45 incl service charge. Presentation of food was very good, if you like those fancy swirls and dots of sauces around your plate edges. I would eat here again no problem.

• Visited April 2014
Surrey
“Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I really liked the ambience and atmosphere in this restaurant, but the service was slow and the menu could offer a little more choice. This is definitely more suited to the younger generation as the seating wasn't that comfortable, but we not planning to stay long as heading to the theatre, so was fine for short sitting. The waitress did chase or food, but would recommend you inform them as soon as you are seated if going to the theatre.

• Visited February 2014
Gateshead
“Let down by the choice available.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Not booking a restaurant before a theatre performance is now becoming a big mistake in London so we were relieved to get a table in what looked to be a lovely deli/restaurant. The staff were great making us feel very comfortable after a desperate search for a restaurant with availability and guided us to a homely wooden table. My daughter and I are vegetarian so the menu looked great with lots of choice for us. My friend however dislikes cheese and to our surprise there were no available meals that did not contain cheese. There were a few dishes unavailable which surprised us because this was only 6pm, but she ended up ordering 2 sides - broccoli and roast potatoes. Given the rush we were in we had no real choice. We had also asked if any of the choices could be prepared by excluding the cheese but everything was pre-prepared. So a bit of a let down really. The food the rest of us ate was nice but the staff were unperturbed at the thought of a customer sitting with 2 side dishes. There was no offer to cook anything else. Next time I'll book my restaurant of choice and not rely on being able to just turn up and eat.

• Visited March 2014
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Pleasant but nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

We had been to the British Museum and picked up our daughter from Uni for a meal. The surroundings are pleasant. We were in the basement where it is light and the tables are far enough apart. However, service was soooooo sloooow. I had to actually go and find someone to take our order and explain what this dish and that one were on the menu. The meals advertised on the blackboard outside were not all available.

We chose three different main courses: Parmigiana, Tagliolini and Mushroom Ravioli. The portions were OK for the first two, but minute for the Ravioli. My wife and I both thought our meals 'acceptable but nothing special'. A large glass of wine was £9.50. The cheese board for two was again minute portions. The ice cream was very good. The bill was £77 for three. This included three main courses, a side salad, two glasses of wine, a cheese board for two and ice cream. This was, I thought, a bit over the top for something which, in another location, would have been cheaper.

I really despise the 'we are adding 12.5% service charge' mandate Frankly I might have put a fiver on the table - it was impossible to catch the eye of anyone to re-fill our water carafe. But who wants the aggro of arguing about taking the charge off? That would have ruined a pleasant evening with our daughter.

The experience was acceptable, pleasant enough and certainly not a disaster, but not a special evening before we headed back to the provinces and our daughter back to the Uni library.

• Visited March 2014