“Pleasant service but over priced”

Machiavelli Kitchen & Dining Room
Price range: US$12 - US$41
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: Renowned importer of Italian specialty food, Machiavelli now with a new restaurant, Machiavelli Kitchen & Dining Room on Long Acre. Combining retail and all day dining featuring small sharing plates. This is a must for anyone with a love for Italian food!
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Pleasant service but over priced”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The waiter at our table was very pleasant - however we were not advised of the chargeable extras that appeared to be offered for free.
Food was good Italian fare - but not stunning and not worth the slightly inflated price.
The waiter for the next table was attentive to his people - but placed himself between the tables, half bent over, so his bottom was in our faces - not good.
What really appalled me was the number of friends of staff who hung around the kitchen entrance and in the kitchen itself and helped themselves to food
No wonder this place has to charge paying diners what they do.

• Visited March 2014

Crowthorne, United Kingdom
“Good Service”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We went here before show, service was very good. Not extensive menu, but quality very good. We had antipasta , bread and bottle of wine and all for less than £50, which for Convent Gargen area , we thought very reasonable

Visited April 2014
London, UK
“Most expensive aubergine in London”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I know people talk about ripoff Britain, and when visiting some places it is difficult to argue with that sentiment.

This restaurant is located in one of what has become one of the most visited parts of London, a short stroll from some of the best known attractions and spots in the UK capital city.

The decor of the restaurant is basic, at least the tables close to the entrance which is where we sat (table still dirty).

The menu looked apetizing and the prices just about ok for what London is, I ordered the melanzane parmiggiana just to be greeted by a minuscule hot plate (10cm diameter perhaps).

I am not for the excesses of US restauruants that pile up food as an act of defiance about the capacity of your stomach, but I rather find difficult to swallow to pay £13 for an amount of food that leaves me hungry.

After 2 mains and 2 glasses of wine (my companion claimed it was in the expensive side of things) wew were given a £50 cool bill.

Sorry, but that is not acceptable.

The food was adequate, the service as good as it can be expected in London (i.e. just bearable). But the price? Ouch.

• Visited April 2014
Retford, United Kingdom
“something different”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

staff very friendly, prompt service. Menu good, but for those that like a lot (and I mean a lot to choose from) probably will be a bit disappointed. All I can say is that I'm a fussy eater and I could get a 3 course meal out of their menu. Not used to communal dining though;which seems to be up stairs (a big table everyone sits around) - I guess it's geared for people just wanting quick things, as down stairs has all your tables separate. The cost seems to be the same as any other similar Italian restaurants I've been in, two of us - 3 drinks, 2 main meals and 2 puddings £45 incl service charge. Presentation of food was very good, if you like those fancy swirls and dots of sauces around your plate edges. I would eat here again no problem.

• Visited April 2014
Surrey
“Fun”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I really liked the ambience and atmosphere in this restaurant, but the service was slow and the menu could offer a little more choice. This is definitely more suited to the younger generation as the seating wasn't that comfortable, but we not planning to stay long as heading to the theatre, so was fine for short sitting. The waitress did chase or food, but would recommend you inform them as soon as you are seated if going to the theatre.

• Visited February 2014