“A little dark and depressing inside ...”
Review of Chiswick House

Chiswick House
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The house is a little dark and depressing and unless you particularly like 17th century Italian art, probably worth a miss as an art gallery. Apart from the paintings, there are few other objects to see. Definitely not worth the entrance fee of over £5. Having said that the gardens are free, and must be amazing in the spring and summer so will go revisit to see the gardens then. If it was free to get in the house, I would recommend going, but £5:60 is £5:60 and I went with my mum, and for the same price I could have taken her for a roast dinner in a Toby carvery. I know the two can't really be compared, but ...

All reviews
"sunny day"
in 6 reviews
"free entry"

Reviewed 16 January 2014

The Palladian house is interesting and there,s a large park with glas-houses with an old collection of camellia.

1  Thank bas k
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I went on a free tour of the gardens today and wanted to say how wonderful the volunteer guide was. The weather was terrible but he did not let it affect him. He was knowledgeable and clearly had a great personal love of both the house and the gardens and their history. This was no a stuffy tour at all and I would recommend it. The only thing that spoilt it was the inconsiderate dog owners who let their dogs off the lead despite clear signs that they should be on a short lead.

1  Thank 780j2g
Reviewed 7 October 2013

On entering Chiswick house, the first thing you are hit by is sudden silence. The protective walls, century old trees and beautifully preened gardens suck up any sound from the chaos of cars, lorries and motorbikes and leave you in complete tranquility. It's hard to believe that you are still in London.
It's a very romantic setting with hand built historic bridges, grand vistas and hidden pathways, all set amongst architectural delights and a dazzling array of flowers, shrubs and specimen trees, creating a unique oasis in this corner of London.
We went on a very warm Sunday in October and although there were lots of people at the cafe it was a very quiet place to be. We walked around the grounds without passing many people at all, a total sense of calm.
There's a cafe with seating inside and outside, serving an array of different drinks, dishes and lots of delicious cakes. I definitely recommend the carrot cake!
We didn't go in to the main house but we looked around all the grounds which kept us animated and interested enough not to have to go in to the house itself.
Please see my blog for further pictures and info: http://emiloudesigns.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/an-indian-summers-sunday.html

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My friend and I visited the house and grounds on a Sunday morning in late September. It was quite a long and disorienting walk from the nearest subway line, however, we started out early on a Sunday morning and took our time. As other reviewers have commented, I found the house disappointing. The first floor was dark, drab, and bare. The second floor was more impressive with beautiful ceilings and nice artwork. However, on the whole, the house was in dire need of a good cleaning and paint job. It smelled musty and the lighting was dim, probably to conceal the dirty floors and scuffed baseboards. This house was nowhere near as impressive as other stately homes, museums, and palaces we toured during our visit. The grounds are definitely the highlight and would be an enjoyable spot for a lazy Sunday stroll and/or picnic. This wouldn't be on my top must-see list...glad we saved it for the end of our stay as an hour "filler" on our way to
Kew Gardens.