“An interesting house for a short visit”
Review of Sutton House

Sutton House
Ranked #470 of 1,695 things to do in London
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I happened to be in Hackney and have an hour or so to spare so brought my Father here not having been for several years. Sutton House is a Tudor building that retains many original features. The best way to approach it is through the pleasant churchyard opposite Hackney Central Station - about a 5 minute walk.

The house itself is one of the smaller NT properties. I left my Father in the café as some of the staircases are old and dangerous. The main attractions are one original Tudor window, lots of Tudor bricks, wooden panelling and wooden decorative carving. There is a guide to buy but I found enough information in each of the rooms to make the visit worthwhile.

I rushed the visit to get back to my Father and took about 15 minutes however even if I had plenty of time 30 minutes would have been sufficient.

The café is not as extensive as most NT cafes and is ok for a coffee or cold drink but they only had one cake on display so I would suggest finding somewhere near Hackney Central station if you are planning to eat.

I could not say that it would be worth making a long journey to come here specially so I would suggest combing in with a visit to other museums in the East End of London - perhaps the museum in Walthamstow village - a bus ride away -or possibly the Geffrye museum in Shoreditch or the Foundling Museum or Museum of Childhood.....

1  Thank sheepygold

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We recently attended a candlelit evening tour at Sutton House and we're extremely impressed. The volunteers were extremely knowledgeable and friendly, the house had a great atmosphere and there was lots of information available. All in all, our visit surpassed our expectations and was a great way to spend an evening.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We visited today with our 2 year old daughter (we are NT members and checked the website prior to our visit so we knew it was a Mothers Day family day). All the volunteers we met were so friendly, enthusiastic, knowledgable and fantastic with our daughter and made sure she really enjoyed her day, doing craft activities and dressing up amongst other things. The cafe was excellent, limited menu but good quality and reasonably priced. The only slight negative was the lack of childrens food, given that it was a family day. Overall, a really enjoyable visit and we will definitely be back for more activity days over the next few months. We were able to park close to the house on the road, which on Sunday was free.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Coming from South London, we were new to this corner of London,. Arriving at Hackney Central station (TfL Overground) we followed the signs, past the 13th century tower of the Church of St Augustine, through a delightful park and historic streets to the usual National Trust warm welcome at Sutton House. Well laid out with detailed explanations, and many interesting titbits of information (see 863Margaret1953's previous review). An enjoyable light meal too. An excellent afternoon out! (Perhaps a phone call in advance will ensure you avoid a day of children's activities or a community event, if that is your wish. It's good that the house is being used in this way.)

1  Thank RussellAS28
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Michael K what is wrong with you. Spent great morning dressing up in Tudor clothes in dining room laid out with a feast. Listened to Shakespere's sonnets. Played with toys from times gone by and learnt so many facts like why PG tips are so called and why people talk about having 3 square meals. As well as unpicking the history of one home as it developed over the 500 years and understanding the people who lived there. Well done National trust- friendly staff as well who chatted happily to us.