“Fantastic common, great windmill, poor cafe service”
Review of Wimbledon Common

Wimbledon Common
Ranked #390 of 1,647 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: The Commons offer 1,140 acres of calm and tranquillity in the midst of the urban surroundings of Wimbledon, Putney and Kingston-upon-Thames. Recognised as a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Special Area of Conservation, the Commons are made up of woodland, scrubland, heathland and grassed recreation areas, along with 40 acres of playing fields, a golf course and nine ponds. Home to an incredible variety of bird, animal and plant life, the Commons are open to the public 24 hours a day throughout the year
London, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Fantastic common, great windmill, poor cafe service”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I love Wimbledon Common. You can walk from for hours from Wimbledon Village to Putney Heath, to Roehampton and down to the A3 and in to Richmond Park.

There are more than five large ponds, that I know about and maybe more.

The Windmill is a fantastic structure and a good vista, although no longer free.

The only thing that lets the experience down is the Windmill Cafe and the very poor customer service experience. The inside (and outside) is clean and tidy.
The food is OK and prices are a bit on the high side, for a cafe, but not extra ordinary for a venue, with no alternative for miles.
The thing that let's it down is the inflexibility and the customer service. For example, today we had the full English breakfast and coffees at the cafe. I asked if I could change the beans for tomatoes or the sausage for something else? The answer was no. So I paid my money and we sat down. That was 10.30am. At 11.00am, we still did not have our coffees or full English breakfast. I presume this was because it was busy, although they had lots of staff. When I went up to find out when our order would be served? They told me that the food has been on the hotplate for ages and we should have come and got it and the coffees ages ago!

Visited October 2013
6 Thank Alan L

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Don't wear high heeled shoes here!”
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

I've known the Common since those lazy,hazy days of childhood.Exploring woods,picking blackberries to proudly present to mum.Spending our Pennies on icecream in the cafe,and do you know what? Absolutely nothing major has changed.The car park may be larger,there may be more facilities,but the walk from the bus stop,along the sandy path to the Windmill ,now a glorious museum,and the cafe by the car park and golf club,with a few flying golf ball incidents,is wonderful.It's short of public toilets,but that's to be expected,just visit one in a cafe or pub in nearby Wimbledon Village before you get onto the heath land or woodland.The cafe serves good food and has, of course,toilets close.You may walk straight onto the Common from the perimeter roads, or drive into and park by the Windmill or several roads near the Village.Bags of history,too!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank moonhamster
3 attraction reviews
“Not enough miniature furniture”
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

I took Stacey (7 years old, Capricorn) to Wimbledon Common because she wanted to dump some crisp packets and lots of Hello! magazines around in order to catch a womble. She wanted to stuff one in her Basil Brush hand puppet so that Basil would 'become real' and twinge about and 'finally please her'. I fell asleep in the sun and got pink arms. I'd recommend Wimbledon Common for anyone looking to enjoy a day out or maybe a family who own a frisbee.

Visited August 2012
Belfast, United Kingdom
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Nice Common”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Had a panic on the common, with an electic mix of people wandering around. It's also near the village incase the weather turns.

Visited August 2012
London
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Wimbledon Common...I don't think so!”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Up market and stylish is how I would describe nearby Wimbledon Village but if you wish to escape the cafe society of the High Street, may I suggest a short walk to Wimbledon Common. It was apparently used by the Romans as a base camp in years gone by and is certainly one of the most enchanting places to walk on a summers evening ( if we ever get a summer) It is well signposted with walks to ponds, windmills and museums as well as a local golf course which weaves its way in and out of the Common. It is peaceful and a must for those visioting SW19.

Visited June 2013