“Excellent Museum, covering all time periods of army service”

National Army Museum
Ranked #312 of 1,751 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The National Army Museum will open its bright new building to the public on 30 March 2017. It features five dynamic new galleries showcase thousands of objects from across our collections. They tell a huge range of stories from the army's history. Visitors can learn how to drum a battle command, or experience taking charge of a tank! The galleries offer many perspectives. They address fundamental questions such as 'Why do we have an army?', examine the army's relationship with society, and show how it has touched virtually every part of the world. They also reveal individual experiences of life as a soldier, including the conflicts they have fought in. The museum is a fun, interactive space for all the family. Our engaging museum experience reaches out to all. We want to connect the British public with its army, regardless of age, gender, race and religion. We aim to be a first class museum that moves, inspires, challenges, educates and entertains. We examine the army's role as protector, aggressor and peacekeeper from the British Civil Wars to the modern day. Through our collections we preserve and share stories of ordinary people with extraordinary responsibilities. We explore the role of the army and its relevance today. The new National Army Museum is for everyone, no matter what they think about the British Army.
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Excellent Museum, covering all time periods of army service, very well done, educational without being overwhelming. Good for kids and adults, Good snack bar, learned a lot about the many conflicts the British Armies have faced. Just a little light on coverage of that colonial incident in 1776, but hey, we've been best friends ever since. Highly recommended, and not on the usual tourist track. Tube access is close enough if you can stand a little walk. Do your homework and you will find it easily.

1  Thank Robert R

Reviewed 7 December 2013

We took our three young children and had booked the soft play area a week in advance. we had a great day and the museum staff were careful to point out areas unsuitable for little ones. The museum is not sentimental or mawkish but very matter a fact about what being a soldier is like and did not hide from the reality.

The staff were welcoming friendly and clearly loved their museum, an extra event was on which was interesting for us and would have been great for teens but was above the heads of my three.

They really try hard here to make this museum welcoming age appropriate interesting but honest about what war means. I was particularly moved by the new exhibition about the current afghan conflict and the trauma experienced by our soldiers.

The childrens soft play area was lovely, clean, not over crowded and fun and very good value. My seven year old was a little disappointed but we have great commercial soft plays near our house. My younger two absolutely loved it.

So now to the bit that make me uncomfortable, the children's play area was full of families that did not appear to have any interest in the army and used this as a place to take kids. I don't mind that in principle but they did dominate it and were in largish noisy groups. It's location in Chelsea ment a lot of designer clothes, many nationalities and the presents at the party for a young local child were jaw dropping.

I had just finished talking to my children about war and just left an exhibition about the challenges for ex soldiers with homelessness, mental illness, physical disabilities.

These people appeared to be living in a bubble It made me feel very uncomfortable to see such expression of wealth, with an apparent blindness to the poignancy of the exhibitions or how many of us may find their approach.

4  Thank Katrina R
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Nice exhibits, especially the new one, about the war in Afghanistan. Recommended if you really interested in the history of armies, warfare and weapons.

1  Thank Yaeer
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I wasn't expecting a great deal at The National Army Museum but ended up pleasantly surprised at what was on offer. There's something to keep everybody happy - I especially liked the vast WW1 & WW2 area. Great place to go if you need to learn about a specific conflict period.

It took 3 hours - instead of the 1 hour we'd planned, but we still didn't get the whole thing done, so need to visit again in the next few years.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Situated next to the Royal Hospital Chelsea, I found this museum a joy to visit with lots and lots of interesting exhibits to both look at and to get interactive way.

For me the highlight was the huge diorama of the Waterloo battlefield.

The only problem with getting to this excellent museum is that there are no tube stations near it, so you could walk it from a nearby tube station or get the bus, which is what I did.