“Not great....”

National Army Museum
Ranked #315 of 1,656 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The National Army Museum will open its bright new building to the public on 30 March 2017. It features five dynamic new galleries showcase thousands of objects from across our collections. They tell a huge range of stories from the army's history. Visitors can learn how to drum a battle command, or experience taking charge of a tank! The galleries offer many perspectives. They address fundamental questions such as 'Why do we have an army?', examine the army's relationship with society, and show how it has touched virtually every part of the world. They also reveal individual experiences of life as a soldier, including the conflicts they have fought in. The museum is a fun, interactive space for all the family. Our engaging museum experience reaches out to all. We want to connect the British public with its army, regardless of age, gender, race and religion. We aim to be a first class museum that moves, inspires, challenges, educates and entertains. We examine the army's role as protector, aggressor and peacekeeper from the British Civil Wars to the modern day. Through our collections we preserve and share stories of ordinary people with extraordinary responsibilities. We explore the role of the army and its relevance today. The new National Army Museum is for everyone, no matter what they think about the British Army.
London
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Not great....”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Maybe i was expecting too much after seeing the brilliant RAF museum in colindale & the Imperial war museum. The national army museum was distinctly average by any standards. I will be uploading photographs i took at the museum but to be honest there wasn't much there to interest me. The gift shop was pretty good- and that says a lot about this review !

2 Thank Daveyboy03

• Turkish first
Israel
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“It was interesting, but I expected much more”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

UK army has a long and glorious history. I think this is not reflected enough in the museum. I expected to get more knowledge about how fought and conquered in previous centuries. But I was slightly disappointed.

Kilkenny, Ireland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“More educational than entertaining.”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Visited recently with my 16 year old son. Tremendous amount of detail, equipment and displays.Everything explained in detail. Every stage of the army history dealt with. Well worth a visit for people with an interest in the army. If I had a critisizm, I'd say it lacked a story, it seemed a bit too educational for me. In the Imeprial war museum, the stories it told were captivating, perhaps bot museums are dealing with different issues, the Army and the Wars. No lack in effort to explain and demonstrate army life but I felt it lost me along the way.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
127 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“Interesting museum in Chelsea”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We didn't do the whole museum. We concentrated on the Boer War and World War 1 and 2 sections. There was a great deal of interest and certainly learnt a lot.
Not really my cup of tea, but had to admit it was very informative.
There's also a cafe and shop.

Little Rock, Arkansas
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Excellent Museum, covering all time periods of army service”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Excellent Museum, covering all time periods of army service, very well done, educational without being overwhelming. Good for kids and adults, Good snack bar, learned a lot about the many conflicts the British Armies have faced. Just a little light on coverage of that colonial incident in 1776, but hey, we've been best friends ever since. Highly recommended, and not on the usual tourist track. Tube access is close enough if you can stand a little walk. Do your homework and you will find it easily.

Visited October 2013