“IF you want to waste 3 hours of your time - better spend them in bed”

Sherlock Holmes Museum
Ranked #258 of 1,679 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Never been to the Sherlock Holmes museum before, but now the kids have become fans of Sir Arthur and his famous personage, so I decided to go and have it over with.

2,5 hours in the sad, boring queue which was very slow - and 10 minutes inside the apartment, looking at dusty objects of the 19th century English memorabilia and a few ridiculous life size dolls representing unfortunate dead and alive characters from the stories. The only happy moment was the realisation that you could actually sit in the Holmes's armchair and take a picture.

If I knew - I would have only gone to the souvenir shop next door - it retains the atmosphere, has fun items on sale and does not require any waiting in the queue. Besides, you can take a picture in the famous hat in front of the apartment for free and without waiting.

If there is no queue - well, may be then would I recommend to buy a ticket and go inside.

2  Thank Maria Y
There are newer reviews for Sherlock Holmes Museum

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Let's get the queue issue out of way: I walked past the museum 3 times and the queue was long, and the last time, the shortest, I joined and it took 1 and half hours to get in.
The house is not very big, but once inside - they do limit the number of people in at any one time - it was great, full of nic-nacs with great exhibits.
You can sit in the chairs, put on a deerstalker hat, pick up his pipe and other things. What a treat.
The gift shop is great and you can just go there if you don't want to queue for the house.
Try to go off peak and you'll love it.

1  Thank ATF1
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I went on a Tuesday afternoon and did not find a long queue as other reviewers have said. The line was perhaps of 15 people when I got there, but many went in while I bought my ticket. I waited for about ten minutes outside.

I'm glad I went alone because I'm a big Sherlock Holmes fan. I stopped to look everything well and read the description beside objects and everything. It's not a particularly impressive museum, it's more of a recreation of 221b with their rooms and personal objects. The upper floor has mannequins of adventures and characters. For a fan, it's great to see it all come real. If you've seen and/or read the works and enjoy it very much, I'd recommend this museum.

2  Thank Ana R
Reviewed 29 July 2014

i took my daughters to visit the museum but did not get in because the queue was about 2 hours long,
you have to buy the ticket from the shop, £10 each, we just went in the shop and for any fan it was good, i really loved the shop.
i am going to go back in the autumn and hope it wont be so busy! very disappointed to go all that way and not get in, it looks good from outside, however the policeman was not there when we visited, at 11.30am on monday 28th july...

5  Thank 100caroline_
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Waited two hours in line for a disappointing tourist trap. The gift shop (no line up) is worth it if you're a fan because of the fun souvenirs and curios. The "museum" itself is awful.

4  Thank AmyDiS