“Average place, can easily be skipped...”

Sherlock Holmes Museum
Ranked #524 of 1,790 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 26 February 2011

For someone, like me, who has read and re read Sherlock Holmes stories, this Museum appears to be a must go. However, having visited the place, I have to say that I could easily have skipped this place and not felt that I missed anything significant.

I'd rather read the stories once again and remember my good old friends, Sherlock & Dr. Watson.

1  Thank aditya80
Write a ReviewReviews (2,741)
All reviews
in 67 reviews
in 46 reviews
in 80 reviews

Reviewed 20 February 2011

This was a truly awful experience. To but tickets you go to the gift shop next door, where you are met by surly girls in period costume, who are obviously hating the sherlock loving public, and all that awful money that pays their wages, for what, as I observed, was for very little exertion. The girl at the till could barely be bothered to get up to serve me. We then entered the house, and as soon as we got in, there was a mexican standoff on the stairs between visitors wishing to descend the stairs, and those wishing to go up. Eventually, the we got past the annoying camcorder weilding foreign students, to sherlock's study, manned by an elderly gent, proclaiming he is sherlock. He goes into a monotonous drone for a bit, and then, probably remembering acting glories past, abruptly stops. We beat a hasty retreat. Poor old fella looked like he had had enough. So had we, and left. Even for a die hard fan, this is simply not worth the effort. At £6 a person, it is outragous. The owners have obviously just decided to pander to the mainly asian fanbase, and made no real effort with much literature about the place, and no pointers to Conan Doyle, so small wonder a load of silly sods think he was a real person. Just tacky and hopless beyond belief. You'd be better off reading one of the books in Baker Street underground. You might at least hear a decent busker.

5  Thank leelee29_11
Reviewed 23 December 2010

As I am fan of Sherlock Holmes stories, I can't miss a visit to Sherlock Holmes Museum. This place is located near Madame Tussaude Museum, so you can visit it before or after Sherlock's home. Museum is not very big, and consist of several rooms, located at different floors. You can take photos everywhere. Exibits consist of different Holmes and Watson's stuff and collections from different stories. The atmosphere is very especial in whole museum. There is also a souvenir shop.

2  Thank Sadler2k
Reviewed 29 November 2010

If you're a die hard fan then yes this would be the place for you! I on the other hand was just in London for the day and thought I'd stop in and see what it was about. The price was low, nothing serious and the museum was interesting. I don't know anything about Sherlock Holmes, but enjoyed the visit!

4  Thank TotalRnR
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 November 2010

I'm a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes so the museum was worth my while. The London Bobby out front was a great guy and kept the line entertained. After that I'm not sure if Mrs. Hudon and Dr. Watson were actors or just costumed security. As we entered the first room, it appeared Mrs. Hudson might be there to get the tour started but she buried nose in some paperwork so the crowd sort of shrugged and started looking around the house. On our way out a woman was slowly walking down the stairs with a cane so a few of us ducked into an empty room so as not to rush her when Dr. Watson came in and told us we saw the house so we should leave. Since there were no people waiting for admission at that point and the elderly woman was still working her way down, this seemed unnecessarily rude, plus, if you are a fan, it's a little creepy to have Dr. Watson yell at you.

1  Thank globewalker6