“A great experience”

Belmond British Pullman
Ranked #55 of 679 Tours in London
More attraction details
Owner description: From the moment you leave London on the Belmond British Pullman you are whisked away into a world of pure indulgence. Champagne flows and gourmet cuisine is served as you take in the beauty of the British countryside.With destinations as such Glorious Goodwood, Cowes Regatta, Chatsworth House and experiences including Valentine's Day and The Dinner in association with Laurent Perrier the Belmond British Pullman really does offer you a journey of true elegance.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Hailsham, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A great experience”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We really enjoyed our much anticipated 50th wedding anniversary gift from the family, a day on the British Pullman. Our five hour journey through the countryside of Kent more than lived up to our expectations and gave us a day to remember. We both enjoyed the delicious five course lunch and the ambience on board the train. We found that the staff were helpful and very efficient. An unexpected treat was when we pulled up at Ramsgate Station, where a jazz band was playing. At that point we all climbed down from the train to enjoy fresh oysters and a glass of wine whilst listening to the music. We were encouraged to explore all the carriages of the train as they are very individual but all beautifully furnished. I did wonder if sitting on a train for as long as five hours would become tedious but the reality was that nobody in our carriage wanted to get off when we returned to London Victoria Station!

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Pam D
GaryEFranklin, Manager at Belmond British Pullman, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Pam

Congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary. The team on board love the fact people travel with us to celebrate momentous ocassions and so we are delighted that you had a lovely day out.

Thank you very much for your lovely review, the team on board love reading these and appreciate that you took the time to give your feedback.

We do hope that we can welcome you back on one of our other great days out.

Once again, thank you for your review.

Gary

Stowmarket, United Kingdom
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 330 helpful votes
“My 60th, and what a way to celebrate it!!!”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

12 June 2014 - Day after my 60th and we celebrated it with a 'bucket list' item, a day out on the Orient Express British Pullmans.

I first saw these Pullman Cars at their launch in 1988 and they still look just as glamorous now as they did then.

Check in at the Orient Express Lounge on Platform 2 at London Victoria Station was smooth, efficient and seamless. OK French Railways were on strike that day and there were operational problems in the Channel Tunnel affecting the Continental portion of the train between Calais and Venice resulting in an hour's delay on the return leg, but when you're dining in 1920s-1950s British Pullman Cars, were we bothered? No!!!

The outward leg to Canterbury gave us more than enough time to enjoy our Brunch - Bellini, Fruit Cocktail, Scrambled Eggs with mushrooms and smoked salmon, fruit sponge and tons of coffee.

Then it was 3 hours in Canterbury, never been there, and apart from the Cathedral, that was Canterbury. Coach back to the train at Folkestone West with an traditional afternoon tea on board and 2 hours later it was all over at London Victoria.

Onboard service was done 'Pullman Style' of a bygone age of rail travel exquisitely re-created, where the customer is important and service is efficient yet unhurried.

I left the train with very happy memories and a birthday present from my wife of a pair of gold Pullman cufflinks.

Visited June 2014
7 Thank DaveJC
GaryEFranklin, General Manager at Belmond British Pullman, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
DaveJC

Congratulations on your 60th birthday. We are delighted that you chose to spend your day with the British Pullman.

Thank you very much for your lovely review with all the team delight in reading and I am pleased that you had a fantastic day out in Canterbury.

We hope that you will travel with us again, and we have lots of other exciting destinations around the UK and you will be met with a warm welcome.

Once again thank you for your review.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Orient Express trip to York”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Fantastic 1st class service commenced with the initial booking through a lovely extremely helpful lady, Daniella Perissinotto with whom I dealt with frequently regarding updates to my booking and the purchase of gifts from the Pullman boutique.

To follow was a fantastic trip on this beautiful train to York where you were met with a warm welcome from staff at the door of your carriage which for us was the beautiful 'GWEN'. What followed was first class brunch & service by an extremely hard working team especially two very attentive members of staff, Chief steward Andrew and stewardess Indraya. The Orient express was the travel of choice for romance to celebrate our marriage in York mid way during this trip.

Following our marriage in York we again boarded the Orient Express for our return trip to London as newly weds. Five course dining followed with wine and champagne and yet another fantastic welcome from staff, as newly weds aboard this fantastic carriage.

A few final comments/bullet points that helped make this the perfect day = umbrellas supplied for inclement weather / a beautiful private cabin for two/a complimentary gift of champagne to celebrate our wedding/attentive staff assisting with photographs/individual personalised gift boxed travel journals/presentation menu's.

Overall a fantastic first class experience filled with romance and very special memories which also include the staff. One of many journeys that we now hope to experience from the many trips that are offered by this company. A must do. Thank you to everyone that helped to make this day very special. Paul & Donna

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Paul T
Paul T

Thank you very much for your fantastic review of your day out on the British Pullman.

Congratulations on your wedding and we are delighted that you chose to spend the day on board the British Pullman. We all take a lot of pride in trying to make sure everyone has a special day our and I am glad that you both felt this. All the team have enjoyed reading your review.

Thank you very much for your posting and we will love to have travel with us in the future and looking forward to welcoming you back.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Average food, poor service, rushed mystery experience!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I write this review less than 4 hours after departing the Orient Express British Pullman Murder Mystery experience and i wish to express my severe disappointment with the service.

Firstly, the original trip i had planned for my wife and I was cancelled, this was due to take place on Good Friday. I was informed well enough in advance and changed to the Murder Mystery, which i thought would be an elegant and relaxing experience - i was wrong.

We were seated on board Lucille. Throughout our journey we had a group of 6-8 ladies celebrating a 60th Birthday and for the entire journey, they were singing, shouting, being vulgar and the staff allowed this to continue. It should not be the fellow guests duty to inform other guests of their unruly behavior. It felt more like a journey to a football match rather than a murder mystery culinary experience on the Orient Express.

Furthermore, the standard of food on board was in my opinion not up to the standard when paying £310/head. I have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world and was expecting the best as you would on the Orient Express, it was simply not the case. The vegetables were lukewarm, the portions were incredibly small and little things like sugars in packets just did not seem fitting.

To have average food and excellent service would have been okay. But the service was also unattentive and not very polite. Our Steward was called Hakim and was quite robotic and not very polite - he was not warm and attentive. I would have expected to be order a drink or ask for something at any point. At some points on the journey - i had to wait for 15-20 minutes to ask someone.

This all seems quite bad because it was. I was so excited to take my wife on the Orient Express which was her 2013 Christmas Present. My parents and grandparents have both traveled previously and always sang the praises of the Orient Express and how much they enjoyed it.

The final part of the disappointment was the rushed Murder Mystery Experience. We were in Lucille at the front of the train. It started well and we saw a couple of characters straight away. The final 3 characters were rushed through very close to Victoria Station and took away the elegance and mystique.

I hope that you will respond appropriately to this complaint, as i feel quite strongly that the service, food and experience did not meet my expectations for the price paid. I also complained verbally to the Train Manager on departing London Victoria and he assured me he would follow up.

Visited May 2014
8 Thank Jim571887
GaryEFranklin, General Manager at Belmond British Pullman, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for your comments. We take all of our customer comments seriously and obviously this journey was not at all what you expected.

The team on board will be horrified to read your review as they are justifiably proud of the train and the experience our guests enjoy. We will review your comments as a team to see what we should be doing better.

The murder mystery is meant to be a fun enjoyable day out, and as such we do have a number of groups travelling, but we do encourage all of our guests to speak to the train managers on board the train to resolve any issues they be having as a simple solutions as another carriage or different seats may have been achievable at the time.

It does seem a shame you did not give us a chance to respond before posting your review, but I hope you do travel with us again so we can make amends.

Regards.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Victoria to Bath on the Orient Express”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

14 May 2014 - What a fantastic day we had aboard the Orient Express, being on the train is like stepping back in time, the food was excellent and served at a leisurely pace but the real stars are the wonderful staff. They excelled themselves in every way and made a memorable day truly exceptional. Thank you to our steward Fernando and all the staff, I'm sorry I don't know all your names but you are all wonderful.

Visited May 2014
7 Thank 1954Chris2014
GaryEFranklin, General Manager at Belmond British Pullman, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely review.

Fernando will be delighted to read it, as will the rest of the team who love working on board the train and sharing this fantastic piece of railway history with all of our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back on board the train soon, perhaps to one of our other destinations, and thank you once again for taking the time to write your review.