New Linden Hotel
US$189
galahotels.com
US$203
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnotting hillportobello roadhoneymoon suitebayswater tube stationcontinental breakfastkensington gardenscold meatshyde parkluggage roomminute walkbigger roomstaff on receptionlovely hotelnice bathroombars and restaurantsrooms are smallyogurt
Reviewed 21 October 2007

Nice and tidy rooms, just renovated. Everything worked well, really great value for money! On the down side the way from the tube to the hotel is rather long.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 23 September 2007

We stayed in this hotel three nights. Although this hotel is new and being refurbished it still has a long way to go. We initially were given a twin room instead of the double as requested when booked. Our room had two single beds pushed together and not enough room to walk around them and barely enough room for the cases on the floor without tripping over them. We complained and got sent to a double room even smaller and with the bed jammed up against the wall. We complained again and were told that the hotel was full and so we therefore went back to the first room. Later we were told we could move the next day to another room which was in the basement, but were told renovations were being done, so we decided not to take this option as noise commenced early in the morning. We also pointed out that the rooms were incredibly stuffy (it was only a mild 20 outside) and asked about air con - only to be told no hotel in the area had any air com. They also tried to put us in our place by saying that we had been given a good deal as we had only paid 75 pound, so we should more or less be grateful.
In the morning we waited for the lift for 5-10 minutes before it finally reached the lst floor. In the end we should have either stayed in the room or gone outside for breakfast. Breakfast was terrible. Although we had only paid for a continental breakfast it was way below standard. It consisted of stale french bread and croissants, cold boiled eggs, salami, cheese, tin fruit, yoghurt and stewed coffee and tea or reconstituted juice. I asked to have my gluten free bread toasted and the reply I got was - no toaster - obviously the extent of the english spoken by staff. Staff were stacking dishes into plastic containers in the fire lobby with no sink or other facilities in sight. To complicate their job and our comfort, guests had grown tired of waiting for the lift and were coming down the fire escape and through the already cramped breakfast room, squeezing between other guests with their luggage. Great fire safety and health regulations in place!! Although the furnishings were new and the rooms cleaned daily, they definately should review the layout. Apart from most of the rooms being tiny the bathrooms are a really bad design. With the shower turned on the entire bathroom becomes drenched. The walls were thin and people were easily heard next door - not great in the early hours of the morning when you had just got to sleep in your stuffy room. The window couldn't be left open as it opened from the bottom and you could go onto a balcony shared by about four other rooms so was unsafe to leave open.
Guests are warned not to eat in the rooms as the furnishings are expensive and they wouldl charge for any damage. Fair enough but we felt it treated us like small children and anyway we felt it rather pointless as who doesn't eat in their room at some stage. Our phone also wasn't working, neither the safety box. We had to wait for it to be fixed before going out for the day. Overall I think this hotel probably is getting customers because of their flash web site. Unfortunately we didn't strike it lucky and get one of those rooms shown - who ever does? They also need to get their act together and splurge on some english speaking staff rather than spending their money on the expensive furnishings. Although the staff worked very hard we felt quite sorry for them as they more than likely are paid a pittance.

2  Thank karen b
Reviewed 13 September 2007

I made a reservation through the internet 3 weeks before departure for a single room for 1 night at New Linden Hotel. At my arrival, the receptionist informed me that she had no room available for me as there were overbookings. Needless to say this is inacceptable especially because the hotel had all the time to send me an email so I could arrange another reservation. The hotel send me to another place called Vancouver studios, where they offered me a room for a higher price and without breakfast (which was of course included in my reservation of the New Linden Hotel). After lots of discussions, they finally agreed to give me the same price for the room, breakfast included....(4 yoghurts and a croissant that I had to take with me the night before in my room). I am astonished to see this kind of behaviour and I strongly recommend everyone to avoid bookings at the New Linden Hotel!

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 3 September 2007

The Hotel is small but it is in a fantastic location. Cant fault that. On arrivial I got sent to 4 different rooms till the receptionsit got me into mine. All rooms had ocupants in them. A little bit annoying for all of us!! I was in the basement, the room for the price was fine. In london its all about LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank ozintokyo
Reviewed 24 July 2007

Great location, excellent value, spotlessly clean but we were messed around with our booking. We requested a double and a single room for myself my husband and my daughter but after having confirmed this, the hotel proceeded to put us in a triple room which we did not want. There was alot of to-ing and fro-ing and in the end we were given what we had asked for however the double room was tiny and very hot. we asked for another room which the staff dutifully found for us and this was perfect- in the basement but newly renovated and spacious.All in all we were very happy with our choice and it was excellent value for money but the early negotiations were most annoying. The staff at all times were helpful and friendly and I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family