“Much less nice than how it looks on the hotel website” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Linden Hotel

New Linden Hotel
Ranked #586 of 1,089 Hotels in London
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Much less nice than how it looks on the hotel website”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

I got the impression that this hotel was recently renovated and a step up from other hotels in this area. But really, it is not that great. It's quite pricey for what you get. My room was next to an airconditioning unit or something which made a lot of noise. The room and the hall weren't that clean, and quite tired looking for a hotel that's supposed to be recently renovated. Make sure your room is not in the basement. The basement is just depressing. The people who work here are polite enough but they can't seem to hide that they feel like they'd rather be somewhere else.
The neighborhood is great, though. The hotel is in a quiet street but close to all kinds of pubs, restaurants and shops and I felt very safe walking around at night.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TJS245

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Thessaloniki, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

Clean and cozy, reasonably priced and pretty convenient for the most worth seeing places in London; kind personnel, all someone would like to have over a smooth few-day stay in London.
Nice breakfast area; claims to be what its quality describes; highly recommended if you are about to stay in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Evi788
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Myself my boyfriend and my best friend stayed here for nottinghill carnival this year and we really enjoyed ourselves. The hotel staff were nice and friendly however they all had such different uniforms and this was confusing and not professional enough in my opinion. The hotel is in a brilliant location with beautiful furnishings and decorations I was so impressed with the lobby area in particular. The staff were really helpful and efficient on arrival, offering a later check in if we needed it which I thought was kind and they have us helpful information about our stay. The key system felt a little outdated, I feel like key cards would be quicker and easier perhaps. This is picky I know but I feel like the hotel would have benefitted from a more open plan layout. It is a little warren- like in that it feels a bit like they have tried to fit too much into a small space. We stayed in room number 204, which was a three bed and it was lovely, the bathroom was stunning in particular and the room was furnished very nicely. Having said this, the furnishings and bed sheets did feel a little cheap and poor quality. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay and I would recommend this hotel to people planning a short stay. It is GREAT quality for money and so stylish and Friendly.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tallulah F
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We booked our 2 night stay in a luxury suite, as we wanted something special! We checked in, with no problem & were then shown to our room, have carefully walked over dust sheets, protecting the carpets, whilst the decorators were painting the corridors! At no time were we warned that the hotel was being refurbished, I wouldn't have chosen this hotel, had I known,so this was an immediate disappointment! Our room on inspection was even more disappointing. The bathroom was dated, with old fittings disused but still in place, there was about 12 inches, between the end of the wall & the foot of the bed, there was an ugly free standing fan in the room, the kettle didn't work & the duvet was lumpy! I could have cried! This wasn't luxury, by any stretch of the imagination & this was supposed to be special for my birthday! I went to the reception to complain & was told that the manager had just left & the hotel was fully occupied, so there was nothing he could do that night. It might be possible to change rooms the following day.
He did change the kettle & the best he could do about the duvet, was give us a double, instead of the king size! Breakfast the following morning was the usual continental breakfast. Some reviews said it was inadequate, but we thought it was fine. After breakfast we went out, returning late morning. We were greeted by a different receptionist, who asked if our room was ok, when he handed me the key. I said I wasn't happy, I didn't feel it was a luxury room. He showed us a vacant room, which was in the same position, on the other side of the hotel & at a glance looked as though it had been refurbished! It was an improvement, but we had a busy day ahead of us & decided it wasn't worth changing rooms! I returned to our room & my husband left to meet our daughter. The phone rang & it was the receptionist saying he had another room, that had just become available, which he thought I would like! I went to view it.....WOW...it was beautiful & exactly what I wanted, the room I had seen in the photos! I said it would be difficult to move everything on my own, but Dimitri (I hope I have his name correct) couldn't have been more helpful, helping me to transfer everything to our new fabulous room, with Jacuzzi bath, with blue halogen lights, an amazing ceiling fan, a 4 poster bed & a balcony to sit out on, drink wine & watch the world go by! He even provided ice in an ice bucket & 4 wine glasses! It made my birthday perfect! Thank you so much Dimitri! I have looked on the hotel website recently & It looks as though the original room we had, has now been refurbished!

Room Tip: When booking, I was asked if I wanted a quiet room? Obviously I said yes, who wouldn't. So we ha...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Denise17_12
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for 7 nights after getting what we though to be a decent price for our stay. Firstly what we liked:- The hotel is well located in a pleasant part of Notting Hill. Our room was clean. Breakfast whilst nothing amazing was non the less pretty decent. What was just OK: The staff whilst of course all foreign (Where have all the Brit hotel workers gone?) were friendly enough though we maybe hoped that as longer staying guests, they may have made a bit more effort with us. (Though in truth we tended to look after ourselves unlike the various American guests who seemed to want blood out of a stone!). The not so good: Our room was I think on the 3rd floor and like most lower end hotels in London our room was on the small side. The lift was annoyingly slow. For some reason the hotel took our credit cards details off us, EVEN though we had paid in FULL in advance for our room. Seemed a bit suspicious to us.(Hopefully nothing will appear on our credit card) We were however VERY glad we did not have one of the rooms on the bottom (Basement floor). These rooms are right next to the kitchen so as a result I would imagine guest's in these rooms would get woken up every morning by the hotel staff starting the breakfast preparation.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms in the basement.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Anita37
Tauranga, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights-our room was very small & not suitable for us, so they changed us to a larger room which was much better. Real central for the metro, walk in Kensington Park & surrounds, plenty of choices for eating out.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 60stravellers2014
Mountlake Terra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

First let me say that the first room we got was extremely too small for two ladies traveling with too much stuff. Fortunately they took pity on us Americans who didn't know that double simply meant the bed in Europe. Twin however meant two beds, that being said our room was upgraded to a lovely suite on the first floor that looked out on a wonderful patio area. Continental breakfast was great especially the croissants and cheese and the location and staff were absolutely lovely. I have suggested this hotel to my friends with the disclaimer about double/ twin. Please check this wonderful boutique hotel out you won't regret it and if you do I apologize in advance.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends