“Nice hotel, but don't expect a working phone in your room!”
Review of New Linden Hotel

New Linden Hotel
Ranked #600 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Troy, Michigan
“Nice hotel, but don't expect a working phone in your room!”
Reviewed 8 July 2007

This hotel was nice--room (ours was a triple--three twin beds) was clean and well-equipped. The bathroom was newly renovated with slate tile floor and counter with plenty of counter space. My main complaint was that our room phone didn't work. I asked at the front desk and the shy clerk said they were having trouble with the switchboard, but I could tell by her response that they were in no hurry to rectify the problem. Tough luck. I had to walk about a block to a pay phone to make calls, until I finally took them up on their offer to use the office phone in a small room near the front desk, but I sacrificed my privacy. Also, the design of the shower in the room was faulty--there is no curtain, just a partial wall that does not prevent water from spraying out onto the floor. Also, I thought the location was very confusing. We got lost finding our way back to the hotel one night and even people we asked along the way didn't know where it was. I would not stay there again--mainly because of its location and its indifferent staff.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable room, decent bathroom
  • Disliked — Location, no working phone in room
  • Stayed June 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
chupka
Reviewed 6 July 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel in May for a romantic weekend getaway. We picked the hotel because of the pleasant location and good price. Online reviews looked decent and we were certain we booked at a nice place. We were wrong...

Despite receiving several reassurances that if a room were vacant the night before, they would accommodate our early check-in, we arrived only to find that although a room was free, we were not allowed to check in until the manager arrived to give her okay. We waited for three hours and half an hour after the manager was due to arrive, we asked the receptionist for an update. Apparently, the manager could take up to another hour to get there. Considering the size of the small reception area where we sat waiting, it shocked us that she did not have the courtesy to tell us that info. My boyfriend and I sat there waiting as we watched her offer other early arrivers breakfast. Not only were we not offered breakfast, but we would have gladly left to grab breakfast if we had known the wait would be so long.

We finally decided to go out and get something to eat because not only were we hungry and tired, we were disgusted by the unprofessional way staff carried on conversation. FOR YOUR INFORMATION, when the staff finds anything you leave behind, despite what the receptionist tells you over the phone about how hard they are trying to recover your belonging, they actually trash everything they find. Useful information such as this surfaced as we sat there listening to staff members yelling at each other about how unreasonable hotel guests can be. When we returned later at check-in time, the manager was still nowhere in sight but at least our room was ready.

The bathroom is incredibly small and due to new regulations of hygiene, the showers have no door so everything got wet, including the toilet. The towel we put on the ground took all day to dry. The room, being newly renovated, had a nice bed. But it stops there. The TV was broken and the window hinge was broken. We called the reception with the room phone but could not get through. After two more tries, we walked downstairs only to find out that we were supposed to magically know to dial a different number for the front desk, which is separate from the number provided for reception. If that were the case, not only did they not provide that number we needed to call in our room, but nobody picks up the phone at "reception." They decided that they could try to find someone to come fix the cable in our room. The first guy came in and tried, but did not succeed. The second guy then came in and claimed it was fixed. He fixed the channel he was using as a sample but the other channels still did not work. Finally, we gave up.

The nap would have been decent if we were not able to hear everything in the room next to us. We could hear the TV, we could hear the guest speak, we could hear the guest drink, we could hear the guest walk around...

The next morning, we went down to breakfast. The breakfast staff was nice but the food was not fresh. The egg yolk was graying in the hard boiled eggs and the bread was getting extremely chewy...

All in all, the experience would not have been so bad if the hotel staff were just a little more polite or professional. We are rational and reasonable people but found the actions and tone by the front desk staff really surprising. They were snobby towards us because we booked through the internet and had lower rates. They did not try to cater to our needs. They complained in front of guests about other guests and hotel staff. They were hesitant to offer information or alternative advice...

If you need a good reason to avoid future vacations, take your loved one to New Linden just once and your problem is solved!!!

• Liked — Quiet neighborhood
  • Disliked — Staff / Service / Room
  • Stayed May 2007
2 Thank chupka

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Istanbul
Reviewed 12 June 2007

We have stayed at New Linden Hotel in November 2006 and June 2007.The best thing about the hotel is its location. Hotel is in about 2 minutes walking distance to Bayswater and Queensway Stations. There are lots of restaurants and local shops nearby. The rooms are clean and well furnished, but the walls are very thin and the rooms (like number 7-8-9-10 etc.) at basement are tiny and a bit claustrophobic. Breakfast is satisfactory. Price is reasonable. Staff is friendly.
Tuba _ Dincer, Istanbul,Turkey

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — thin walls
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TDGIstanbul
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 18 May 2007

This hotel is a nice find. Yes, the rooms are small, but they are newly renovated and clean. We had a twin room with two twin beds and a small bath with shower. The breakfast was also a nice plus as it came with the price of the room.

The location is good because it's in a quiet residential neighborhood while still being just a couple of blocks off Bayswater Street which has shops and restaurants. We were able to walk to a larger nearby hotel and catch the "Big Bus" tour.

I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again on another trip to London.

• Liked — Clean, good location, good value
  • Disliked — Small room and small shower
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank TinaOrlando
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 May 2007

The only positive thing that I can say about the New Linden Hotel is its location in the Bayswater area of London. It is on the doorstep of a vast array of really nice restaurants and bars etc. However, with regard to the hotel itself.....

I stayed in the New Linden Hotel in April 2007 with work colleagues - I was attending a training conference in a nearby hotel. Unfortunately we were unable to obtain accommodation in that hotel so we settled on the New Linden because of its location.

When we arrived on Sunday evening, there was no record of our booking details. We had booked three single superior rooms and initially we were told that the three of us would have to share a double room?! I get on very well with my work colleagues but I thought that this was a bit familiar! Eventually we were given three rooms - two doubles and a triple room - certainly not what we ordered. Another aspect that was worrying was that it was insisted that we pay for the duration of our stay upfront - something I always find peculiar.

The following morning, just before I was about to leave for my conference, I was told that it would be necessary for me to vacate the room that I was in immediately. I explained that I was about to leave for a conference but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. I literally threw all my clothes back in my suitcase and left it in my colleague's room. I was informed that my new room would be available that evening. As a direct result of this delay I was late for my conference.

At 5.15pm I arrived at the hotel and asked to speak to the manager. A young woman at reception, no more than 25, announced that she was the manager. I took her word for it as none of the staff at the New Linden display name badges showing the titles within the hotel. I outlined the circumstances of what had happened and after fumbling with papers, making a telephone call and leaving a message on the staff member's mobile phone who was on reception that morning, she went to check a room and arrived back five minutes later to announce that my room was ready.

At this stage I was understandably frustrated. I said to her that I hoped that I would be compensated for all this inconvenience. She said quite breezily "No, there will be no compensation. Anyway, what do you want compensation for? Waiting for two minutes?" At this stage I literally exploded. I launched into a tirade about the incompetence of the staff and the very evident problem of a lack of communication and the fact that I was late for my conference. She nodded throughout my talk and said that she would investigate the matter and revert to me the following day. Needless to say, she did not. In fact, after that day, I never saw the manager on the premises again.

On examination of my new room, the best way to describe it was a patterned cell. It was on the fourth floor in an attic room (this was while the lift was out of order for the entire duration of my stay). This was allegedly a single superior, simply because it had been renovated recently. The room was tiny and the bathroom was definitely not for the claustrophobic. I queried the definition of a single superior with the aforementioned manager and she clarified that this was indeed a single superior. I would not have liked to have seen a regular single. I was offered the opportunity to change to a twin room the following day if I willing to repack my suitcase again. I declined this offer as I didn't intend on relocating to another room yet again.

The breakfast was very non-descript and I can safely say that the staff who worked in the breakfast room were among the saddest I have ever seen. Never once did I see anyone smile who worked there. Then again, if I had to endure working in that premises I would probably feel the same.

This review may seem excessively long but I feel that it is necessary to highlight all these facts to fellow travellers.For stg £69 a night, please find somewhere else to stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The incompetence of staff, the size of the room, the lack of communication, the shabby decor
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul_Ireland
Farmington Hills, MI
Reviewed 26 April 2007

A reasonable priced hotel, west of the busy part of London and near the tube, It had very narrow hallways and staircases, and our room was quite small. My daughters room was larger and had only a shower but a nice size bathroom. It was 9&10. The staff were great and the breakfast were the same and average. It was safe, very clean, and near shopping.

• Liked — cleanliness, staff, price
  • Disliked — shower too narrow, bathtub very steep for an elderly person-okay for us though
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
Greece
Reviewed 11 April 2007

We stayed in beginning of April 07 in a double room on the first floor. Although the room had an adjoining door with the next one, our nights were rather quiet (however, if the people on the next door were loud, then it might have been a problem). The hotel is situated on a very nice area, lovely buildings, quiet streets and absolutely safe. Getting the tube is pretty convenient, the nearest tube is Bayswater and Queensway, about 6-7 min walk, the Notting Hill gate is a bit further, say 10 min. There are many shops in the area, such as Boots, Tesco, fast-food, cafes and shopping-centres, so if you need to buy anything, all are near without however being next to the hotel which keeps it in a quiet spot. We had to pay the full amount upon arrival, although i would prefer to do this on the check out; thank God, we had a good stay and eventually we do not regret paying them upon our arrival.

The room was small but adequate enough, i think this is standard for many hotels in London. The room was cleaned and towels were changed on a daily basis, which was great. We enjoyed our sleep on the double bed and the toilet and shower were very nice - hot water throughout the day - shower gel, 2in1 shampoo and soaps.

Breakfast was adequate - continental which included milk, cereals, yogurt, fruit, cheese, marmelades, honey, cheese, ham, nice selection of croissants and bread, coffee and tea; enought to get you through the day - however, it would be great if they could have a more variety of cheese and ham. Breakfast is served below the ground floor, but the room is nicely decorated and has natural light.

Staff were very friendly - on the first day the remote control of our TV was not working and they quickly replaced it with another one, sth that shows that they care about their guests. They also booked us a taxi upon our departure although it was very early in the morning. It is a 24hr reception - unlike other hotels or b&b in the UK - which is great, you don't have to worry about what time you'll arrive or depart from the hotel, there's always someone available. There is also a lift, which is convenient.

I might be able to also put up on the website some of my candid photos. All in all, we had a good stay and were satisfied with the services and the hotel. I had done a quite exhausting search of hotels via the trip advisor and could not believe the things i was reading for other hotels or b&b... So, we were relieved to stay with this hotel (or lucky because of the room we had). I recommend this hotel for your stays.

• Liked — clean room, modern decoration, good service and location
  • Disliked — larger room and more variety in breakfast
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple