“Nice find”
Review of Medlar

Medlar
Reserve with OpenTable
Medlar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 23,009 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$32 - US$49
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Nice find”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Great atmosphere, we really enjoyed Sunday lunch here and found it to be very good value. The service was fantastic.

• Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sala Comacina, Italy
“Excellent Value Great Food”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This was the third time we have eaten here and each time has been really good. This time we ate in the evening as opposed to lunch and we were upstairs which was a really pleasant experience - comfortable and romantic. Food portions are everything you could hope for (and more) and considering the quality of the cooking the cost is very reasonable. The wine list is where you can easily lose the good value feel if you are not careful. The cheese selection is one of the best I have found in London and well worth adding to the standard three course meal. Service is efficient and friendly. Overall a great experience.

Scotland
“Fantastic dining experience at Medlar”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

With being on holiday in London, my wife and I visited Medlar for lunch based on a recommendation.What a recommendation this was!With lunch priced at £30 for 3 courses, I genuinely believe this was incredible value.Food to die for, great wine available and with delightful service this may well have been our favourite Saturday afternoon lunch. I note that medlar now has 1 Michelin star and in my own humble opinion is very deserving of the award.We also loved the fact that the restaurant was unpretentious.great food, great service...thanks to all at medlar for wonderful lunch.

London
“Simply delicious”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Intimate restaurant with fabulous food, delightful service, good choice of wine, and reasonably priced. With a well deserved Michelin. Wonderful recommendation. Only regret was I had no room to try the cheese which looked divine!

London, UK
“A wonderful experience- for the most part”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Let's start with the bad so I can get straight to the good! My husband and I came here for our 1-year wedding anniversary and were looking forward to dropping some £££ in celebration. We both fancied a glass of champagne or at least an aperitif to start, so imagine our surprise when we were simply led to our table and left with menus without being asked if we would like a drink. Fine, we thought, we'll just ask for champagne when the waitress comes back...which she didn't for quite some time, and we had long chosen our wine and food by the time she returned. We asked to order a bottle of wine before we ordered food and she explained that she couldn't take our drinks order, so we placed our order for food before our wine, and the wine ended up taking awhile. One more quibble: there was no amuse bouche, which is extremely surprising in a restaurant of this caliber. The amuse is one of the best parts of fine dining!

However, with the shaky start out of the way, we found the rest of the experience to be very enjoyable. After all, we came for the food, and the food did not disappoint. I started with the crab raviolo, which was just rich enough, and my husband had the duck egg tart which was cooked to perfection - and we were both shocked to discover that we like seared duck heart! I should also mention that the bread we were served - in place of an amuse, I suppose - was incredibly delicious and moist, although it was not served with tongs and we had to pick it up with our hands which is a bit unusual for a Michelin-star restaurant. The mains were even better - the grouse was perfectly pink (only order if you genuinely like game as it is quite rich!), and the under blade fillet was cooked to absolute perfection. I will dream about the bearnaise sauce! I found the dessert menu very reliant on ice cream so I opted for the cheese course and I was glad I did as I had some of the best cheese I've ever tasted, including a vintage comte that was out of this world. Husband had the chocolate pave which was fine. They were kind enough to bring us a complimentary grapefruit sorbet in honour of our anniversary, but considering we had both already ordered a dessert it was unnecessary...I would have preferred that glass of champagne that I'd so wanted!

The meal finished with delicious petit fours and a passionfruit marshmallow. Don't let my small quibbles dissuade you from trying Medlar as it really was a fantastic meal and I don't expect everyone else to be as picky as I can be. The food was near perfect, the ambience delightful and all a very good value. Would absolutely recommend and will go again.

1 Thank moonstruck72