“Mediocre at best”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Medlar

Medlar
Reserve with OpenTable
Medlar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$32 - US$49
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
London
“Mediocre at best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

I hate to write this but it is what it is. This was a bit of a special dinner for my family as my daughter flew in to see us from outside of the country and we had not seen her for a while. When we arrived they seated us at what must be the worst table in the restaurant. Just outside the kitchen and next to what must be a store room. Not sure but there was a cold breeze blowing over us. I explained that the table would not do so they moved us to a room at the back. Again, a bad choice. This was the through path to the toilet so we had a constant stream of people (who were all seated at the front of the restaurant) filing past us all night.

We ordered. The crab ravioli had a crab shell still in my wife's order. As someone who has had a lot o dental work, she just stopped eating for fear that she would need to visit the dentist again. We ordered the pork, the ox cheeks and the venison. Again, not bad, not great. As good as we do at home, which is not why I go to a Michelin starred restaurant.

Overall, I have to say that I would have to give this a miss. The service matched the food, not great.

Wish I had better things to say as we looked forward to the meal for some time but, as I said, it is what it is.

2 Thank RedStateX

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
“Pricey but interesting food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Went to Medlar twice, and the menu has never failed to amaze me. I tend to have to ask exactly what the menu means (as there are ingredients I'musually not familar with) but food is always excellent. Sommelier is very good and recommends great wines to pair with the food. And service is outstanding. Great for special occasions.

• Visited October 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
“Great Sommelier”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Went to Medlar knowing to expect some traditional French dishes, we were well received & sat at a nice large comfortable table,I choose crab ravioli, my wife duck hearts tartlet, then I had red deer dish & my wife fillets of monk fish,all the food was of a high standard of taste & execution.
This though was a challenge to buy the right wine they didn't do a list of food
& wine paring, but the charming Sommelier came up with a Greek White & an Italian Red
Both went very good with my dishes so did the other two he had chosen for my wife dishes, we also liked the house champagne.Best prune & Armagnac ice I have had for quite a while.

Haifa, Israel
“Hidden gem in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

WOW!
I had a very good lunch in that cosy restaurant.
Medlar is well decorated and give a warm feeling of home and not a commercial place.
The food was Great - each dish was excellent!

CONS: Acoustic!
when it full very hard to hear the person near you

2 Thank Assi A
brighton
“Excellent, as usual”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

It had been far too long, but finally got back to Medlar last Saturday. Just as good as I remembered. I had the duck egg tart, which was amazing, but perhaps too big, which meant I struggled to finish the pork dish. That was a real shame. I don't normally go for pork and I'd forgotten how good it can be. Not finishing the main course meant I had enough room for the tarte tatin for two. Amazing! The last time I had one that good was at Ramsey's place in New York about seven years ago.

Nice atmosphere, great staff and a reasonable price. If you like classic French food, you really need to eat here.

Visited November 2013