“A Pefect Experience Filled With Memories!”
Review of The Goring

The Goring
Ranked #10 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Nutley, New Jersey
“A Pefect Experience Filled With Memories!”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

My wife and I have just returned from The Goring after celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary. What makes this hotel unique is the ability to create memories for each guest. From the rubber ducks for your bath to the George Martinis in the bar, it was a perfect. We want to thank the entire Goring staff for the experience!

Room Tip: Room 78 is elegantly furnished and overlooks the garden.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear NickandNoraCharles,

Thank you for your wonderful review and I am thrilled that you left us filled with such special memories. I hope you let the rubber ducks join you for a swim in the tub!

The Goring team hope that you will come and stay with us again soon and also when you celebrate your Golden Wedding Anniversary.

Graham Copeman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We had dined here a couple of times in the past and my husband was always keen to stay in the goring so a few days ago on a social trip we booked in for the weekend with friends. We arrived about 10am and were taken in to the lounge to register, tea and coffees were brought to us as we filled in the form and after about 20 mns we were advised that one of our rooms was ready so we could put all our luggage in there and head out for the day. We could have waited another half hour and the other room would also have been ready but we preferred to be off on our travels. Reception staff got full marks.

We had a beautifully appointed bathroom with bath towels so thick they weighed more than our bath mats at home, there was a lot of marble around but there was underfloor heating so it was very comfortable, an excellent power shower with efficient thermostat , a large bath and elemis toiletries on the shelf. Our room was small but tastefully decorated, a large and extremely comfortable bed with lovely bedding, plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, and a safe in the wardrobe in the hallway.

The concierge asked if we wanted reservations for a restaurant or theatre and was extremely helpful in suggesting places to visit and providing maps and phone numbers to help us - so full marks to the concierge too.

Not to be outdone, the doormen were a breath of fresh air, polite and formal yet friendly and humorous, they helped with shopping bags, suitcases, hailing cabs, asking here we were going and then checking up we had enjoyed our visit as they remembered what our itinerary was.

The restaurant is expensive but again excellent waiting staff and delightful food made it pleasant. Breakfast was too dear for what we got (our choice to eat a small breakfast but because I wanted a fruit salad I instantly was on the full breakfast rather than a continental rate). Dinner is formal, small portions of beautifully cooked food but nicely served and plenty of space between the tables.

Overall the staff were a pleasure to deal with and they contributed largely to making the weekend such a success, so a pat on the back to whoever recruits and trains the staff.

Location is excellent for a trip to Buckingham palace to see the changing of the guard, or a nice walk through St James park to picadilly and bond st and all shops north!!!! It is so central but it has a garden out the back with a lovely lawn and perennials round the border and a terrace overlooking it where you could sit and enjoy a pleasant afternoon tea and forget you are right in the middle of a big city.

I only hope Kate enjoyed her night in the goring as much as I enjoyed mine!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank whitesheilagh
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Whitesheilagh,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your fabulous review of The Goring.

I am thrilled that after dining with us for a couple of times in the past you decided to enjoy our bedrooms as well. Whether it be in their room, advising on what to see and do in London or whilst sampling the delights of our Dining Room and Lounge Bar our whole team thrive on ensuring that all guests have a wonderful stay with us from the moment they walk through our front door.

We do hope that you will be able to come and visit us again for another enjoyable night in the comfort of the hotel.

Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 6 May 2012

This was my 1st trip to London and staying at The Goring was the perfect start. Everyone met me as if I had been their best friend! Service was tip top, the food was excellent, cleanliness was superb, it was simply a beautiful stay.

Room Tip: I was on the front of the hotel and my room location was great, don't know anything about the lo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Dear Scarol,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review.

The team and I are thrilled that we provided the perfect start to your first trip to London. We are always delighted to welcome both new and long standing guests to The Goring. Our team pride themselves on offering delicious food combined with excellent service to ensure the perfect stay for all of our guests.

We do hope that the rest of your trip was just as wonderful and look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My mom and I stayed here for three nights while she was visiting me during study abroad. We had heard great things about and also loved that Kate Middleton stayed here the night before her wedding. It is no wonder she did because everything was exceptional! The doormen, front desk, bar staff, and concierge were all lovely and the concierge gave us excellent restaurant recommendations. I am usually wary of concierges at hotels because often they have deals with restaurants of where to send guests, but it seemed like this hotel really did send you to some of the best places in London. Our room was small, but very clean and had lovely decor. The entire hotel is so well decorated and beautiful. We never ate there, but did have drinks in the bar area and tea after dinner. It is one of the only family run hotels left in London and I love that about it. It truly makes it stand out and you can definitely tell that it hasn't been taken over by Hilton or Marriott and I hope it never does! It is so charming. The location is also ideal with only a five minute walk from Victoria Station and also within walking distance to Buckingham Palace. Although it is expensive, it is definitely worth every penny! Will return next time we are in London for sure!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dallas
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My son and I stayed at The Goring and had a most delightful stay! The staff excelled in every aspect-efficient, helpful and most friendly! As this was a spur of the moment trip, the staff took exceptional care of us, down to getting tickets to the most popular theater shows on the spur of the moment and making dinner suggestions and reservations at restaurants that only the locals would know about.
We had a quiet and comfortable balcony room and our maid was most efficient and extremely polite. And the bar service-WOW! Hostess remembered our drink order-most impressive! And never having to sign a check makes one feel like you are at your private club. I cannot give enough compliments to this hotel. Thanks John, Patrick, Rupert and all the staff for making our stay memorable. (Rupert-do you think I need my umbrella?) We will definitely return soon!

Room Tip: Rooms on 1st floor with outdoor balconies overlooking the garden are delightful, although bath is sm...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear TrippenDallas,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments following your stay with us.

Our team pride themselves in making all of our guests feel at home whilst ensuring that they are able to make the most of what London has on offer. John and Patrick are a remarkable team who really do know all of London’s nooks and crannies. Our balcony rooms are indeed the perfect place to relax and escape for a moment of peace and quiet.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you and your son back to The Goring in the not too distant future. I can safely say that Rupert would definitely be advising you to take your umbrella out with you today!

with warm regards,

Channel Islands
Reviewed 28 April 2012

As part of an anniversary we stayed at the Goring as a special treat.
However the hotel did not live up to our expectations.
The room was small (although to be fair most London rooms seem to be on the small side) but freshly decorated/refurbished evidenced by the smell of fresh paint.
There was no safe in the room despite being mentioned in the hotel directory, no tea or coffee making facilities, large hole in one of the bath towels,only one small bar of soap, very dusty shelves in the bathroom and worst of all the English hotel disease of there being no thermostat on the shower. This one was particularly bad being either scalding hot or freezing cold.
Perhaps these are small points but not good enough for this standard or class and rates of this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nicko2
Dear Nicko2

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations as a way of celebrating such a special occasion.

At The Goring we have a selection of gorgeous room categories and we would be delighted to discuss them with you for any future reservations you may book. It is true that we do not offer tea and coffee making facilities in our rooms as we offer room service 24 hours a day so that our guests are able to enjoy a freshly brewed refreshment whenever they so wish. However we have failed in terms of our Housekeeping standards on this occasion and I am very disappointed by this. I have addressed these with our Head Housekeeper and also our Laundry who have never let us down in the past.

As you mentioned the room had been freshly renovated and unfortunately there was a delay in the delivery of the new safe, I am delighted to confirm that this is now in place. Also the shower thermostat has been checked and is now maintaining a constant temperature.

We would love to welcome you back to The Goring and please do contact Oliver in our Reservations department who would be thrilled to discuss the arrangements with you.

London
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Service at this marvelous hotel is always impeccable, as demonstrated by my visit last week, whilst lunching in my favourite London Dining Room.

Upon arrival, I was greeted most warmly as usual by your Front of House staff and more particularly, by Brian Kinsella,the Bar Manager. As I sat to enjoy a drink with my host in the Bar, to my horror, I realised I had a ladder in my tights. Disaster at the beginning of a Business lunch. Brian appeared, having been alerted to my personal crisis by a lovely waitress and with no fuss whatsoever sent out a colleague to Boots to purchase a new pair of tights. Not only that, he directed to me to a Cloakroom on the fourth floor where I could change more comfortably. First class service a mere understatement. Personal crisis averted in under ten minutes!

I am lunching with another Business Associate in the restaurant on Friday week, so I will be sure to thank Brian again and indeed remember to carry a spare pair of hosiery!

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Evelyn L
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Evelyn L,

I am so delighted that our wonderful staff and especially Brian, were on hand for you recently during your moment of need! We take great pride in taking our guests away from the stresses and strains of every day life, wherever they may arise, and I’m thrilled to hear that your problem was solved so efficiently and lunch was as wonderful as ever! I am sure that Brian will be thrilled to see you again later this week and continue to go the extra mile for all of our guests.

My warmest regards,