“The Goring is NOT boring.”
Review of The Goring

The Goring
Ranked #6 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Mission Viejo, California
“The Goring is NOT boring.”
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed at the Goring for a week. This was about 1 month before THE WEDDING.
The people (the staff) were fantastic. The food and snacks were created by A chef that knew what they were doing and proved it.
The room was very good, big but not large. (think olives for size name) The bath amenities were
first class. All prices were high.(think worth it)
Now my problem...........I needed A converter. Mine broke and I got A new one the next day. Their converter was 15Lbs. in weight. (so old that the date was carved in stone)
I left my umbrella in the room one day. As we were leaving the door man gave us A "house"
umbrella, it was of fine quality and necessary.
We have been to many of the expensive hotels for meetings and other occasions, none come
close to this hotel for the real high end package.
Some cost more but that is for smoke and mirrors this is real and deep.

Room Tip: Just relax it is all great.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank bigFootzx
, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear bigFootzx,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your whole stay from the snacks and food you sampled to your room along with its amenities. Chef and his team are very proud of everything they serve and he invests time alongside Jeremy and David ensuring we have the very best British ingredients possible.

We do hope that you will return soon to The Goring which is not Boring!

Graham Copeman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
london
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Some of my friends gave me a voucher for tea at The Goring Hotel London. May I say that I love tea, and it was the most pleasant experience. The food was delicious, and the choice of drinking tea was amazing. We had the champagne tea...which started off with a glass of bolinger and strawberries and cream closely followed by sandwiches, scones and jam, and pastries. We had so much to eat and drink that we had to walk in the gardens before the final course - which was a trifle.... one could have endless tea and any amount of food. They just kept on asking and refilling the cups and plates.

Highly recommend everyone to try this experience. Very english and civilised - And of course it is just around the corner from Buckingham Palace - so you can have a good walk aftwewards seeing some of londons fantastic sights.

Truly wonderful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear terrible73,

Thank you for your wonderful review!

Afternoon tea truly is the quintessentially English meal. What a brilliant idea to have a stroll around the garden in order to let most of the tasty delights settle before embarking on The Goring not quite a Trifle, I do hope that you enjoyed our little oasis.

We do hope that you will return to enjoy another medley of our scrummy sandwiches and cakes which Ian our pastry chef does change with the season.

With best wishes,

airtrainandplane
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We have just returned from a 2 nighter at the Goring and every aspect of the hotel was above satisfactory. From the excellent Rupert parking the car to John arranging internet access and getting my shoes repaired, the stay was totally relaxed and enjoyable. I have forgotten the name of the chap who recommended a local haidresser but a big thank you to you too as they were fantastic. Every member of staff we encountered were tuned in and a credit to the hotel.
A big thank you to all staff!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank maxthewax
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear maxthewax,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent two night stay with us.

I am delighted that our Concierge team were on hand from the moment you arrived at The Goring and were there to share their pearls of wisdom when needed during your stay.

It is always lovely to hear that our guests had a relaxing time in the hotel away from the hustle and bustle of the surrounding city. I will of course pass on your thanks to the entire team who with me look forward to welcoming you both back to The Goring.

Canada
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Staying at the Goring is like staying with friends in a London townhouse. From the minute you enter, everything is perfect. We were taken to the lounge area to complete registration formalities. The receptionist was beautifully attired and extremely pleasant. The lobby is compact and intimate and was generally very quiet.
Our room on the fifth floor was also compact but fully equipped. There was a separate foyer, centralised touch panels for the lights and curtains in several locations, big windows from which there was a view of the Palace gardens and the ubiquitous plush sheep footstool. The bathroom was a nice size in white marble with heated floor and towel rack.
The hallways, too felt like a private home with floral wallpaper and chandeliers and sconces.
The staff were consistently warm and hospitable. I was particularly grateful to the concierge who gave me several useful tips and was exceptionally caring.
My only criticism of this property is their policy of charging for Wifi. In the ten days prior to arriving at the Goring, we had travelled to several locations in southern England. Every hotel we stayed in provided Wifi on a complimentary basis. While planning the trip I had investigated half a dozen five star hotels in London. They, too, provided free Wifi. This hotel, while wonderfully traditional, obviously prides itself on being in the forefront in technology. Complimentary Wifi is inevitable in the hospitality industry. It is unfortunate that the Goring appears to be following rather than leading in this area.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank boundary
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear boundary,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of The Goring. It was such a pleasure to read and we are thrilled that we made you feel so at home during your stay as our guests. At The Goring we do love our sheep so I hope you had a chance to rest your weary feet on her whilst taking a peak at the Palace gardens.

John and his team have such a wealth of knowledge they certainly know all of London’s little hidden gems. I am sure when you return they will have plenty more secrets for you both to explore and enjoy.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring.

With best wishes,

Glasgow
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed here over the Jubilee weekend, couldn't have asked for better. It's a very classy hotel, with understated elegance. All staff were very friendly and professional, nothing was a problem. Room was fairly small (one of the "cheaper" ones), but everything about it was perfect. The bed, feather pillows, a big thick duvet which must have been feather and down or maybe even down, it was so light and cosy. Breakfast is served on Villeroy and Boch crockery. Location is 3 minutes from Victoria station. Very handsome and charming Rupert met us at the door when we arrrived, that was the start of a wonderful 3 day stay. Hope to return again very soon.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MargoGlasgow
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear MargoGlasgow,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.

I am thrilled that from the very moment you arrived at The Goring to the moment you departed everything was perfect. The Jubilee weekend was certainly a once in a lifetime reason to be in London and I am delighted that we played a small part in making it a truly memorable weekend.

Rupert and the rest of the team are tickled pink by what you have said and look forward to welcoming you back.

Sydney, NSW
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I haven't written a review for quite a while, but that doesn't mean, I haven't been traveling though, Ive been racking up the flight mileage.
It's no secret that The Goring, hosted a very famous bride prior to her wedding night, what a lucky young lass, spending it here. I adore The Goring, this wonderful old Grand Dame, has certainly had a freshen up terms of two T's (textiles and technology). My room was sumptuous and gorgeous, the addition of the Flat Screen TV, on a supporting pivot, hidden in slim elegant cabinet, means that the elegance is maintained. My favourite addition though, is the light switch, it's marketing genius, and cheekily fun. I just wish my girlfriend was with me, so I could have tried the Oooh! setting.
I stayed here with friends from Munich (yes, they had their own room) for 5 nights, the first day we had breakfast in the dining room, for the rest of the stay we had the paired back breakfast menu in the bar. Mentioning the bar, I love it, the little cards on the tables, telling you to that phones and laptops aren't welcome, is welcome. The quote by a certain H Simpson, is full of whimsy.
The service is first rate, with members of Les Clefs d'Or ensconced at the concierge desk, John (I believe he's known as "Sarge" in the trade) and his team are first rate, and Rupert on the door, well, The Goring just wouldn't be the same without him.
After check out, I got caught in the fiasco of the Heathrow snow closure, thank god I had travel insurance, due to their "Act of God" clause, British Airways were no help at all. The Goring rang me, to advise me that the flight was most likely cancelled, I asked them to re-establish my room, which they did, and I returned for one more night, wonderful.
My Friends from Munich, loved The Goring it as much as I did, whilst they may be German, they are are only human after all.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Foghorn27
Dear Foghorn27,

It was wonderful to welcome you back to the ‘Old Grand Dame’ in London. I am delighted that you enjoyed room 79, hopefully next time you will have your girlfriend with you so you can sample the Ooh setting on the lighting!

John has been known as ‘Sergeant Major’ in the past but we at The Goring prefer to call him Big John – he has managed to reduce his vocal volume since joining us!

We were of course thrilled to be of service in your hour of need and it was lovely to have your company for one extra night.

All of the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring in the not too distant future.

Warmest regards,

Midlands
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Lucky enough to get upgrade to one of the best rooms in the hotel overlooking the garden( & jUBILEE WEEKEND TOO!) Service so good & evening meal good value by London standards.STAFF ALL CHARMING & VERY HELPFUL. UTTERLY AMAZING PLACE.Thank you to all concerned for a memorable weekend. Will be back!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear WelshAnnie,

Thank you so much for such a splendid review of our hotel and the team.

I am delighted that despite the weather over the Jubilee weekend you were able to enjoy a view of the garden. It certainly wasn’t conducive to sipping a cocktail on one of the benches within the garden itself!

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.