“Wonderful Service”
Review of The Goring

The Goring
Ranked #8 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Five star service from all of the staff. Great restaurants for both breakfast, lunch and dinner. Great location, close to Knightsbridge shopping, Buckingham Palace and a lot of the other great London sights.

Rooms tend to be on the small side. Even though The Goring is more than 100 years old, it has been updated and is very comfortable.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear Kevinprinn,

Thank you for your lovely view of The Goring. I am delighted that you enjoyed the British cuisine in the Dining Room and had the chance to sample all of our menus. The team are thrilled with your praise at their customer service as they all take great pride in looking after our guests
We all hope that we you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

Our friends in the UK call this the "Boring Goring". Not so. My wife, daughter, and I stayed at the Goring as part of my daughters graduation trip. My wife travels to London quite frequently on business so she knows London hotels very well and even she gave the Goring top marks. We wanted to give our daughter a quintessential British experience and the hotel delivered in every well. Our rooms were beautiful and spotless. The service 5 star all the way. The entire staff were ready to bend over backwards to please us and always with a smile. We wanted to do Indian food one night and the concierge made reservations for us at a place that has probably ruined me for Indian food for the rest of my life. It was amazing.
This may be an oxymoron, but my daughter wanted to do a high tea and judging by the crowd at The Goring at the time, high tea there rocks. It was mobbed every day. No surprise because the volume and quality of food there at high tea was outstanding. The choice of teas was huge. In addition to high tea we ate dinner there twice and breakfast once. All meals were excellent especially dinner in the main dining room. I love Dover Sole and this was some of the best Dover Sole I've ever had. Considering it's proximity to Victoria Station I expected a lot more noise, but the area was surprisingly quiet and I'm a light sleeper. Having mentioned location the Goring is hard to beat. A short walk from Victoria Tube or Rail station. A stones throw from Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, and Chelsea. Easy walk to many fine restaurants. Approximately a 20 minute walk to Harrod's. This was a special trip for us and our daughter and the Soaring Goring helped make it so. Thanks!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Galindenba
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Dear Galindenba,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I certainly prefer the ‘Soaring Goring’ to the ‘Boring Goring’!

I am delighted that you chose to stay with us to celebrate your daughter’s graduation and even more so that we were able to deliver exactly what you were looking for. The Concierge team certainly do know the best places in London, unfortunately for you it seems that you will have to come and stay with us again to sample the same sumptuous Indian meal!

Afternoon tea at The Goring certainly is the quintessential English experience. I do hope that you were able to sample many of our teas and you enjoyed the delicious pastries, they are hard to resist.

Beeston Place is certainly is a quiet oasis just moments away from the hustle and bustle of Victoria and the rest of the city.

All of us at the Soaring Goring look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you for letting us play a small part in your special trip.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

The Restaurant in this hotel is on par with the Ritz ! Excellent choice o really fresh fish, beef and a wide variety of unusual food not normally seen on hotel menu's. The service is first class and its truly five star. Its always a pleasure to dine here and the bar area is superb for cocktails or a quiet relaxing moment.

The value for money is outstanding and the standards are never allowed to drop under Mr Goring's keen eye for detail and great staff - many have been here for years! Its an excellent restaurant in a first class hotel !

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Dear John D,

Thank you so much for your glowing review of our Dining Room.

Jeremy, David and Chef spend time trawling across the UK looking for the best farms, fisheries and producers to ensure that we always serve inspiring and unique food. We definitely regard food as a serious business here at The Goring!

Cocktails are certainly Brian’s speciality and we all look forward to seeing you soon at The Goring whether it be in the Hotel, Bar or Dining Room .

With warm wishes,

Reviewed 24 June 2012

The family and I recently stayed at the Goring for 5 nights and had a fantastic experience. The hotel is very centrally located and easy walking distance to Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, and Chelsea. There are also some good pubs and restaurants within walking distance. The Hotel is on a small side street so you don't realize you are right in the middle of everything. I would characterize the hotel as "formal" in the decor and in the way the staff interacts with you. A high level of customer service is demonstarted by the staff. The doorman and concierge staff were always extremely helpful and remembered our names almost from the first day. In fact, we left for 4 days and when we returned the staff still remembered us by name, including the children. A special shout-out to Rupert the doorman, whom we found to be especially friendly and helpful. The hotel has an excellent afternoon tea - one rainy afternoon the staff literally bent over backwards to accomodate us for a last minute sitting. And we had with us my young son of 6 who really enjoyed playing ball and running around in the garden/lawn behind the hotel. There always seemed to be something "British" going on at the hotel - the dining room was usually filled with business people and the bar area alive with some type of social function. Also, the staff and guests dress extremely well here, and we the americans seemed to be perpetually under-dressed. But no one seemed to mind. It all made for a festive, lively environment. I would agree with others that this place is definately not boring! We booked two rooms, 1 for ourselves and one for our children. The rooms were adjoining. One room was somewhat small but having been to London before was expected. I found the bed to be extremely comfortable. One very important point for London in the summer - it gets dark very late and gets light very early - the Goring has fantasic curtains that keep the rooms pitch black. A small point but I promise you will appreciate it, especially if you are fighting jet lag. The rooms were extremely clean and the housekeeping staff did an excellent job. The restaurant serves traditional English dishes (not pub food) that we found very tasty but expensive. We have stayed at Hotel 41 in London (which is righ around the corner) in the past and I would say the hotels are of very similiar calibre. The Goring is perhaps a bit more formal and lively, Hotel 41 a little more casual and quiet. All in all, a great stay and we would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear gatorandredraidr,

It was a pleasure to read your review following your recent stay with us.

It is true that despite being a stone’s throw from the hustle and bustle of central London, Beeston Place provides a tranquil refuge for all of our guests. It is always lovely to hear that our guests made use of the garden. It really is a wonderful extra to the hotel especially during the summer month.

All of the team at The Goring pride themselves in their ability to ensure all of our guests feel at home and also that they are able to welcome each guest by name. Rupert and the rest of the Concierge team are thrilled by their special mention in your review. They have an incredible wealth of knowledge about what to see and do in London.

I am delighted that you found your bed comfortable especially with the curtains ensuring you had a well-rested time with us. Matron and her team certainly do keep the rooms spick and span.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Goring for another stay in your buzzing home from home.

With best wishes,

Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed at the Goring for a week. This was about 1 month before THE WEDDING.
The people (the staff) were fantastic. The food and snacks were created by A chef that knew what they were doing and proved it.
The room was very good, big but not large. (think olives for size name) The bath amenities were
first class. All prices were high.(think worth it)
Now my problem...........I needed A converter. Mine broke and I got A new one the next day. Their converter was 15Lbs. in weight. (so old that the date was carved in stone)
I left my umbrella in the room one day. As we were leaving the door man gave us A "house"
umbrella, it was of fine quality and necessary.
We have been to many of the expensive hotels for meetings and other occasions, none come
close to this hotel for the real high end package.
Some cost more but that is for smoke and mirrors this is real and deep.

Room Tip: Just relax it is all great.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank bigFootzx
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear bigFootzx,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your whole stay from the snacks and food you sampled to your room along with its amenities. Chef and his team are very proud of everything they serve and he invests time alongside Jeremy and David ensuring we have the very best British ingredients possible.

We do hope that you will return soon to The Goring which is not Boring!

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Some of my friends gave me a voucher for tea at The Goring Hotel London. May I say that I love tea, and it was the most pleasant experience. The food was delicious, and the choice of drinking tea was amazing. We had the champagne tea...which started off with a glass of bolinger and strawberries and cream closely followed by sandwiches, scones and jam, and pastries. We had so much to eat and drink that we had to walk in the gardens before the final course - which was a trifle.... one could have endless tea and any amount of food. They just kept on asking and refilling the cups and plates.

Highly recommend everyone to try this experience. Very english and civilised - And of course it is just around the corner from Buckingham Palace - so you can have a good walk aftwewards seeing some of londons fantastic sights.

Truly wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2012

Dear terrible73,

Thank you for your wonderful review!

Afternoon tea truly is the quintessentially English meal. What a brilliant idea to have a stroll around the garden in order to let most of the tasty delights settle before embarking on The Goring not quite a Trifle, I do hope that you enjoyed our little oasis.

We do hope that you will return to enjoy another medley of our scrummy sandwiches and cakes which Ian our pastry chef does change with the season.

With best wishes,

Reviewed 16 June 2012

We have just returned from a 2 nighter at the Goring and every aspect of the hotel was above satisfactory. From the excellent Rupert parking the car to John arranging internet access and getting my shoes repaired, the stay was totally relaxed and enjoyable. I have forgotten the name of the chap who recommended a local haidresser but a big thank you to you too as they were fantastic. Every member of staff we encountered were tuned in and a credit to the hotel.
A big thank you to all staff!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank maxthewax
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear maxthewax,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent two night stay with us.

I am delighted that our Concierge team were on hand from the moment you arrived at The Goring and were there to share their pearls of wisdom when needed during your stay.

It is always lovely to hear that our guests had a relaxing time in the hotel away from the hustle and bustle of the surrounding city. I will of course pass on your thanks to the entire team who with me look forward to welcoming you both back to The Goring.