“Excellent as ever”

Ranked #10 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Kingsgate, United Kingdom
“Excellent as ever”
Reviewed 14 July 2008

This was our twelve visit, and we just love the hotel. From the welcome on arrival through to our departure the staff are excellent.

The bar is wonderful for people watching and when we get the chance and are only in London for the day the terrace makes the perfect spot for meeting friends for a bite of lunch.

The Dirty Martini served in the bar before dinner was excellent and started the evening off well. The wine list is reasonable for a London property.

Dinner is excellent and the menu choice wonderful, the only negative comment would be a £20 supplement for smoked salmon as a starter on a menu that is already £47.50.

Breakfast next morning was wonderfully relaxing and provided the right start to the day.

Looking forward to the next visit

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Adsandkev

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
winchester
Reviewed 9 July 2008

Stayed at the Goring for one night (Wednesday) last week and invited an old "friend" (read into that what you will) for supper.

The reception by the staff was about as good as it gets, the service is hard to improve on.

Every other customer was smartly dressed - I wasn't. That did not matter.

Another review suggests rooms are small - the Goring website gives you the size in square feet of each room (I just called them to confirm this is bedroom only. In my own case bathroom was about 60% more space) so why anyone would be surprised....

The terrace is one of the very few truly civilised places in central London you can sit outside, eat and smoke - hooray! The food was superb (except for slightly odd "pea shoots" in otherwise excellent goats cheese salad). Glazed lobster omelette for £15 was a conspicuous bargain, Champagne has a tendency to evaporate but this is I suspect not unique to this precise location.

And the garden it overlooks is unique (as far as I know) around there, unless you're royal. Wouldn't be very big in Essex though. Depends what you expect.

The only reason I can't rate it as excellent is that my old friend gently implied that she'd be happy if I took her again. I guess it could turn out to be more costly that it seemed.

• Liked — Hugely classy but not snobbish or pretentious
  • Disliked — I can't afford to live there full-time
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank eriktg
Essex
Reviewed 21 April 2008

My husband and I stayed at The Goring to celebrate a family birthday in April; the hotel was recommended by my father who has stayed there in the past. We had high expectations as the hotel had been recommended but were sadly disappointed. The rooms were the biggest disappointment as our room was very small with no view at all. (Having inspected other rooms that were available, as we were inclined to change, we decided to stay put as all the rooms we were shown were all the same size - small!) We also found it very hard to sleep as there was a great deal of noise emanating from above - presumably from the occupants in the room above but there were several loud bumps as if furniture was being moved around and this continued throughout the night. The rooms could also benefit from a refurbishment, although they were clean.
The food in the evening however was excellent - despite the fact that one of our meals - we were a party of eight - was served a lot later than the rest - and no compensation was forthcoming for this oversight. I would not expect this slight of service in a hotel of this calibre. The cooked English breakfast, which incidentally was not cheap, was absolutely dreadful - quite possibly the worst breakfast I have ever been served in a hotel and I would not recommend at all.
The interior of the hotel - the bar and the gardens - were lovely and the staff very welcoming and pleasant.
In summary, the only redeeming feature this hotel offered was the food in the restaurant in the evening. I would not stay here again as the rooms and certainly the breakfast is not worth the money.

• Liked — the evening meal
  • Disliked — the rooms and the breakfast
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
9 Thank Dewar1
Stratford upon Avon
Reviewed 21 April 2008

First Class!!

Also had afternoon tea here on my weekend stay, and what an experience.

Staff faultless.

Stayed April 2008
3 Thank Jaeger_8
Sydney, NSW
Reviewed 8 March 2008

I have not visited London for a long time so I wanted a base to walk around Belgravia, Chelsea and Knightsbridge. Whilst it was a little hard to find (a friend collected me from Heathrow) The Goring is a gem of a Hotel situated in London's dress circle post code of SW1.
The hotel is small with around 80 rooms (reminded me in some ways of The Observatory Hotel in Sydney) I believe the hotel has under gone recent refurbishment and my suite was beautiful and very tastefully decorated.
I must say that I do not agree with another reviewer about the bar, it was a great place to people watch, I liked the fact that it was popular with what seems to be "London Establishment".
The staff were excellent and Concierge Team all have a very dry wit and were most helpful, one of them recommended a "Gastro Pub" called Thomas Cubitt which was so good I went their twice and it's only a 12 minute walk from The Goring.
What ever you do, make certain you read the framed letter in the Gentleman's Toilet, George Goring's response is brilliant.

• Liked — The style of the property
  • Stayed January 2008
4 Thank Foghorn27
Creswell, Oregon
Reviewed 1 February 2008

Absolutely LOVED this hotel! We have been to London several times, but this is definitely the hotel at which we will always try to stay. The location is charming, right around the corner from Victoria tube station and an easy ride from there to Heathrow. It is in a neighborhood of charming architecture and easy walking to Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace, Sloane Square, etc. (Great restaurant, Rosillon, is easy walking distance towards Chelsea.)

The service is outstanding. It is just as good as any Four Seasons or similar, but more charming because of its small size and excellent personal attention. The doormen and front desk people all remember who you are. They helped us with so many things from dinner reservations to shipping recommendations to directions. They will go out in the pouring rain to find you a cab, and they generally go out of the way to help with anything. They answer their emails (unlike many hotels, no matter how large or well rated), and if you ask them to handle something, it is immediately done with no issues or complications.

In our case, we had to transport an 85 lb coachbuilt pram from a person's house 2.5 hours from London. They called around and negotiated for a cab to go pick it up and bring it to the hotel for a price that was cheaper than the train ticket, and they even added it to our hotel room! The pram was delivered in beautiful shape, and we were able to spend the five or six hours of our time touring London rather than dealing ourselves with the delivery. It was truly exceptional service. Peter, in particular, was incredibly nice and personable.

We did not try the food, but we did sample their high tea, and it was excellent with a beautiful view of the garden. The hotel itself is welcoming with lovely architectural features and a real warmth. They have very nice toiletries, Molton Brown, and wireless internet (free of charge). The rooms were very large with lovely curtains, wallpaper and period furniture. It is also quiet and intimate.

We will always stay here again. We truly loved the hotel and with such a small, welcoming staff, it feels like coming home when you walk in the door. I would personally rather have that than an extra hair dryer or flat screen TV any day.

• Liked — Personal service
  • Disliked — Nothing - loved it all
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank jjonak
Jersey UK
Reviewed 19 January 2008

The Goring is always a treat. Public areas are warm and inviting and the service excellent. Dinner for 3 in the Dining Room simply superb. My Beef Wellington was 10/10. My only slight criticism is that the bedrooms are beginning to look a little tired and perhaps a slow programme of refurbishment might be necessary now. Overall though no complaints and I will be back again soon.

Stayed January 2008