“Astounded, not in a good way.”
Review of The Goring

The Goring
Ranked #7 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I like to write glowing reviews and have done so when it was deserved. I have waited several months to write this one because I would rather say nothing if I don't have good things to say. Following an overnight flight for a week's stay in London in October, my husband and I were exhausted and disheveled when we arrived at the Goring. The property is lovely, and the hotel was staffed with very attractive people. The initial service was prompt and courteous. Having booked our room months in advance, and arriving well after the published check-in time, I was expecting to be shown to a lovely room where we could recover from jet lag. What we got was an apology that our room was not yet ready. We were led to a waiting area outside the dining room. We were left there. We sat there, feeling on display, for a half-hour which turned into an hour, then an hour and a half. Finally, I went to the desk and asked if we had been forgotten. No, I was assured, we had not been forgotten, and our room was almost ready. The bellman took us to our room which was large and pretty, but smelled strongly, and not pleasantly, of rug cleaner. I removed my shoes and behold, the beautiful carpet was wet. It was not damp, it was wet. My socks were soaked through. We were so disappointed by the first impression that the rest didn't really matter. The best things about the stay were the concierge, who was top notch, and the doormen who were always smiling and helpful. We have stayed at the Splendide Royal in Rome and the Hay Adams in Washington DC, two hotels that might be mentioned in the same breath. The Goring does not belong in the same league.

Room Tip: All rooms are going to be quiet, but I would choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Win_in_Roam
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Win_in_Roam,

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post your review following you stay with us in October.

I was very sorry to read that you were disappointed by your stay with us and that you did not notify us at the time of the issue with the carpet in the room. I do wish that you had let us know that the carpet was damp as we would of course rectified the issue instantly so that you would have been comfortable throughout your stay.

Unfortunately it isn’t always possible to show a guest to their room the moment that they arrive at the hotel. However on occasions when it isn’t possible to room a guest on arrival we always take them through to our Lounge Bar for some refreshments so that they can relax after their long journey to us. It seems most peculiar that in your case you were taken to a seat outside our Dining Room and that you felt abandoned by the team.

I am delighted that during your time with us that the Concierge were always on hand to advise you on what to see and do in London. Big John and his team are the font of all knowledge and never cease to surprise me with new suggestions and ideas of places to go and explore as well as a huge selection of London’s finest eating establishments.

I do hope that you will reconsider and next time in London you will stay at The Goring so you can enjoy the true Goring experience.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I was not sure if I would rate The Goring with a 5 or a 4 as there is not a specific thing that is extraordinary and unique but then I realized that everyrhing in this hotel is in its right place and that's what makes it an awesome place to stay. The restaurant is great for dinner and the afternoon tea is delicious in a cozy atmosphere. The guys at concierge are really helpful and the staff overall is kind. We got a king size bed room and it was good (although it could be a little larger) and quiet which is an issue for us. I just cannot understand how a hotel like this charges for wi-fy.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank FESG
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear FESG,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of recent stay at The Goring.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations of what a stay at The Goring would be like. Our Lounge Bar in the winter is the perfect place to unwind for afternoon tea after the bracing weather of December in London and there is nothing better than finishing off the day in our Dining Room. The Concierge team have a wealth of knowledge that I would find it hard to believe that they could be stumped by any enquiry whether it be for somewhere to eat or a little known site to see.

We all hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Goring before too long so that we can ensure that you have another amazing time in London.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I'm a little late in writing my review! We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of October 2013. From the moment our cab pulled up outside - where we were greeted and our luggage taken into the foyer. Once we had checked in, we were shown to our room, where our luggage arrived. Our room was absolutely beautiful - there was an envelope which contained a handwritten 'welcome' card! Our room overlooked some private mews. Road noise was minimal - and we slept with the window open. I LOVED the sheep in our room (we bought one for our Son!) The bed was the most comfortable bed we've had the pleasure of sleeping in! The beautiful bathroom was just that, I loved the Molton Brown goodies! Breakfast was most delicious - some may balk at the price, but the cooked breakfast was worth every penny. The service was absolutely super, very attentive - but not intrusive, they were always one step ahead. One night we arrived back at the hotel after a ball we'd been to, it was after 2am - the night staff were very accommodating, sorting coffee and liqueurs for us!The hotel is just around the corner from Buckingham Palace, we took a leisurely stroll there then down the Mall. We stay in London a few times a year - and I'm hoping we are booked into The Goring again!! You're not just staying in a hotel - The Goring is truly an utterly amazing experience! Thank you to all at The Goring for making our stay a super one!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Debbie C

Dear Debbie C,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your stay with us in October of last year.

I am delighted that from the moment you arrived at the hotel you enjoyed an amazing experience. The team pride themselves in ensuring that our guests don’t have to lift a finger from the moment they arrived and it is lovely to see this has been recognised.

I have to agree The Goring breakfast is the perfect way to start the day and a liqueur in the Lounge at the end of an evening the perfect night cap before a long peaceful sleep.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring on your next trip to London and I have passed your wishes onto the team.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

There is very little to say that hasn't already been said, but I will certainly try to add valuable comments.

The Goring is every bit the 5 star hotel. Class, glamour, style and service. I had planned a very special weekend for my girlfriend and I, and the hotel really made it. We were given (without asking) a room with the most beautiful octagonal bathroom, and looked after by all of the staff with such care and attention, I would not hesitate to recommend it to friends, family and clients alike. Particular mention must go to their doorman, who epitomises what you need and expect from someone worth their weight in that role.
The location is great, with easy access to transport networks (5 minutes from Victoria station). Tourists will love the fact that Kate Middleton stayed their the night before the wedding, and now it has a Royal Warrant (deservedly).
Rooms are large, with great facilities, including Molton Brown products in the bathroom. Room service is very prompt, and nothing is too much trouble.
The overwhelming thing about the hotel is purely the fact that it felt like a home rather than a hotel, which given its high status, is quite an achievement.
I have no doubt they will keep up the good work.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrVilliers

Dear MrVilliers,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of recent stay at The Goring.

I am delighted that you and your girlfriend enjoyed your special weekend with us and that you felt that everything was five star. It is true we are so lucky with our location not just in terms of being minutes from Victoria Station many of London’s top sites are just around the corner as well.

We are all thrilled that you would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to your friends and clients and we all hope to welcome you back before too long to your home away from home.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I had lunch on 30th December and came into the hotel dripping wet after a sudden deluge. I was welcomed like an old friend (my first visit) and joined my wife and a friend who have been on many occasions. They were right in their praise for the Goring. The attitude of the staff and the relaxed style made it exceptional. I ate a simple lunch which was not a basis on which to judge the food but I would be confident in anything this hotel does. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear philnash,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of recent luncheon.

I am delighted that the team were able to match the high expectations you had of The Goring and you were not disappointed from the moment you entered the hotel.

We all look forward to welcoming you back before too long so that you can enjoy more of Chef’s sumptuous treats from the kitchen.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

A wonderful experience having afternoon tea at the Goring. From the moment we stepped inside it was so lovely. We were treated to such first class service and felt like truly valued customers. The food was heavenly and just kept on coming. We didn't have to lift a finger to even pour our tea. We sat in comfy chairs for nearly three hours in the cosy dining room warmed by the huge open fire. The offer of more pastries made it difficult to leave. We will certainly return in the summer to sample tea served on the terrace over looking the delightful gardens. A real come down returning to our travel lodge in covent garden but just for a few hours we could dream!!! It really was the best!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank julcook

Dear julcook,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent afternoon tea with us.

I am delighted that from the moment you stepped into the hotel for your tea you were not disappointed and thoroughly spoilt by our team. They all pride themselves on ensuring that our guests don’t have to lift a finger whilst in our care and it is always lovely to see this been recognised.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring in the summer so that you can dream away a few more hours.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Just step inside this wonderful family run hotel is a must on any visit to London. Take a tour of Buckingham Palace or the Royal Mews then pop into THE GORING. The service is second to none with all members of staff making you feel special. If you only visit London once this is a must venue to give you that life long memory. Please don't just think about it "JUST DO IT." You will love each moment - ENJOY!!

Room Tip: All rooms are good!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear John F,

We are all thrilled with your comments and delighted that you see popping into The Goring as a must for anyone that visits London. The team at the hotel pride themselves on looking after each and every one of our guests and it is always lovely to see this been recognised.

We all hope to welcome you back to The Goring before too London on your next visit to the city.