“Excellent afternoon tea”

Ranked #5 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Excellent afternoon tea”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I was treated to Afternoon Tea at the Goring Hotel for my 50th birthday by my best friend. WOW - it was amazing. The whole experience lasted 3 hours, we didn't pour a cup of tea for ourselves all afternoon. There was a plentiful supply of food and tea and always opportunity for more sandwiches or cakes. The service was excellent and the whole afternoon was truly memorable. It was excellent value for money and I can't imagine another afternoon being as good as this.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Sue C,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent celebratory tea at The Goring.

We were thrilled to welcome you to the hotel for your birthday treat and I am delighted that we didn’t disappoint. It is always lovely to hear that a guest has enjoyed every moment of their time with us whether it be the delicious treats they sampled or the service they received.

The team and I all hope to welcome you back to The Goring before too long so that you can relax and enjoy another perfect afternoon.

Graham Copeman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have eaten here many times so whilst I can review the restaurant I have never stayed here. This is one of my favourite places in London to eat. The quality of food and service is excellent. It is unpretenious like some other top hotels/restaurants but you just feel special here. My friends and I started coming here before it made the headlines as the place that the Duchess of Cambridge plus family stayed before the Royal Wedding and we were concerned it would be 'spoilt' but thankfully it has not been and is still my favourite place. I have just attended a private birthday luncheon here and once again it was superb.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear jackie m,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your visits to our Dining Room.

It is always lovely to welcome old friends to the hotel and we were delighted to see you again the other day. I am thrilled that during your numerous experiences at The Goring you have enjoyed excellent service and food.

We all hope that it will not be too long before we see you all again.

Barnt Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This was a special occasion, and I have to say I was very dissapointed.

The bedroom was small and was very noisey. There was a constant buzzing noise all night.

The hot water was luke warm .

However, the staff were exellent in every way.

Finally , I think that the hotel in general is very overated, and doubt I will be staying there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Davidmaxmurray
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Davidmaxmurray,

Thank you very much for your review of your stay with us in March.

I am very sorry that you were disappointed by your stay with us and that we failed to up to your expectations. At The Goring we always strive to ensure that all of our guests are able to enjoy the true Goring experience and it appears on this occasion that we have failed. I wish that you had highlighted your issues with the room and the water to us at the time so that our team were able to address them and rectify the problems.

I do hope that you were able to celebrate your special occasion and that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel and indulge you in a truly memorable stay which will be the true Goring experience.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Meeting a colleague for breakfast tomorrow and just realised hadn't written up my last visit. The fact I cannot wait for a full English tomorrow really says it all!! The kidneys and black pudding is sublime. Move over Middleton's!! 8 hours and counting...

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bogla-Jnr
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Bogla-Jnr,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your breakfast at The Goring.

We were delighted to welcome you back to the hotel again and thrilled that the draw of our kidneys and black pudding led you to return. I trust you were not disappointed!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Meeting friends in London for lunch and a good gossip- we settled on the restaurant at the Goring. They never falter in the quality of their service and the food experience was equally exquisite. Its not an endless menu choice, but wide enough to satisfy all tastes - and a food allergy in one of the party. We all thoroughly enjoyed the choices we made, perfectly cooked and presented. The whole ambience from the moment you arrive makes you feel valued and cosseted, friendly but not intrusive - if you want advice, it is available but not thrust upon you. It is simply a wonderful, comfortable visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kate G
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Kate G,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your luncheon at The Goring

We were delighted to welcome you back to the Dining Room and thrilled that you enjoyed another delicious meal accompanied by faultless service. I am thrilled that you felt well looked after by the team but were also able to have a good gossip with your friends without being intruded.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring for another exquisite meal and catch up with your friends.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My lovely friend works at The Goring and arranged for us to stay for a night as we were going to see Wicked at The Victoria Apollo nearby. When we arrived the staff were helpful and friendly - as they were throughout our stay! We stayed in Room 78 which is absolutely beautiful - the bed was really comfy, the bathroom was gorgeous and we loved the light controls! The turndown service was brilliant and made the room lovely and cosy. The view of the garden was fantastic, too. All of the staff were really friendly and greeted us by name whenever passing by which made us feel very special! The breakfast was really nice and we were well looked after. We have been raving about The Goring to everyone we know since we came home! There is nothing we could possibly fault, we just wish we could stay forever!

Room Tip: Room 78 is spacious, luxurious, beautifully furnished and has a lovely garden view!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Charleypixie,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent stay at The Goring.

I am delighted that from the moment you arrived at the hotel you were well looked after and that this continued throughout your stay. We are thrilled that you liked Room 78 which I feel is the perfect room for a romantic getaway with its view of the garden and soft furnishings.

We all hope that you will return to The Goring and that you will be able to stay for more than one night next time.

Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My family and I were celebrating a most special occasion and we chose The Goring as a convenient location to Buckingham Palace. Our focus was on the palace and although it was special I have to say that for me, our stay at The Goring was the highlight of the whole event.

From the moment we arrived we felt we were in the right place. Friendly, attentive staff, superb surroundings and delightful rooms. My son's room was modern and suited them perfectly whereas ours was more traditional; even the allocation of the rooms had been thought through such is the detail of the service you can expect.

Lunch on our special day was outstanding; every single detail perfect. Service, surroundings, quality all fantastic and I think an important point for us was the fact it was not 'stuffy'. The highest standards in the very best environment with the friendliest service you could wish for.

To all the staff at The Goring - and I mean all of you because I know you are all part of the Goring family - thank you for making our special day exceptional.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Colin W
Dear Colin W,

We were delighted to welcome you and your family to the hotel for such a special occasion and I am thrilled that we were able to ensure that your special day was truly exceptional. Our team all pride themselves on caring for each of guests and making sure that even the smallest details are recognised so that their stay runs smoothly from the moment they arrive to when they sadly depart.

We are all blown away that the highlight of your time in London was your time with us and we hope that you will be back to stay with us before too long.