“Excellent discret family run hotel”
Review of The Goring

The Goring
Ranked #9 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Paris
“Excellent discret family run hotel”
Reviewed 22 October 2008

This hotel is/was a boutique hotel before botique hotels exisited.

I had fun taking my newly married wife & Italian-in-laws to stay in this hotel when I visited my family in London. I scored major brownie points for my good taste:-)

When I lived in London my family would frequently go & have Sunday lunch at the hotel.

The rooms are great, the back of the hotel looks over a garden square I think they are the best rooms in the hotel.

I have read somewhere it was the first hotel to be built in London where all the rooms had en suite bathrooms.

Don't expect standardisation; expect rather a one-off discret swiss hotelaire trained family run hotel.

Only possible criticsim is that the waiting service in the bar area can be inefficent outside dining hours but one really has to very difficult to allow this to spoil ones stay in this hotel.

• Liked — boutique hotel
  • Disliked — nothng
  • Stayed May 2003, travelled on business
2 Thank paris8arr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed 5 October 2008

I was recommended this hotel by both my travel agent and brother and my experience exceeded my expectations!! The Hotel is centrally located, close to Buckingham Palace, Hyde & Green Parks. The Hotel offers a very personal environment with most of the staff aquainting themselves with the guests. We rarely had to provide our room number at the bar or when ordering food as the staff knew us.The staff are excellent and in particular the Concierge team went above and beyond to ensure they enhanced our experience during our 1 week stay at the Goring.
The Breakfasts every morning were outstanding!! The other hotel food we ordered was also good quality and fair value.
Little things make the difference! After our stay my son was spending a year in London on a Student exchange programme. Prior to London we toured Europe. When first arriving at Heathrow Airport we caught a connecting flight directly to France. However The Goring was happy to organise a driver to meet us at the airport to collect my son's additional baggage, which they stored while we were in Europe - and the cost was very reasonable - the same price as if they were transferring us to the Hotel.
The hotel offers complimentary access to a local fitness centre which is a 3 minute walk away. my son in particular found this very useful and i thought the facilities were pretty good.
The only negative I found was that Beeston Place could sometimes be pretty noisy early in the morning and because it is an old style hotel it does not have adequate insulation against noise polution. However this did not in any way detract from the great stay we enjoyed at The Goring!!

• Liked — Personal Warm feel
  • Disliked — Noise on Beeston Place
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank CicliOZ
Philadelphia
Reviewed 21 August 2008

Great hotel on a quiet side street in the heart of London. I usually stay in Kensington but on this trip I was traveling with a friend who wanted to stay at the Goring. I had my partner and our 2 year old with us and was concerned that the hotel may be too stuffy. Not at all.
Their system really works - simple but rare. They look after their staff and in return get great staff loyalty. One of their concierges Paul has been there 25 years. Because their staff are well looked after and appreciated, they look after the customers really well.
We asked them to arrange babysitting services two nights. (You can walk to great restaurants and the Apollo theatre). This is always a worrying event! What amazed me was that the hotel staff knows the babysitters really well. They too have been working there for years. We will request the same babysitter on our next trip to London.
We ate in the restaurant twice at breakfast and once for dinner. We also had bar snacks, and used room service frequently. All the food was very good.
The hotel also organized theatre tickets, dinner reservations, transportation, package shipment to the US and flight tickets for us.
They have a relationship with LA Fitness for a gym and pool. The problem we had was that you had to be 18 to use the pool - so my 2 year old could not swim. St James park is a short walk up the road and there was a great little play area there. We also walked to Hyde Park and back - although that was probably over a mile each way.
The only trouble I got into was opening my laptop in the bar to show a colleague something - they want to promote a relaxing atmosphere - oops!
I will definitely be staying there next time I am in town. I didnt find the hotel any more expensive than other hotels that I have stayed in - in London. I tend to stay in 4 stars.

3 Thank MedSail
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 August 2008

The Goring far exceeded my expectations. The service,convenience,and charm of the hotel all rate a 10+ The hotel is only a block from Victoria Station and a short walk to Buckingham Palace. In fact,when I checked out the bellman wheeled my luggage directly down to my platform at the station!
The garden in the rear is delightful and the bar/lounge a most convivial spot. Will definitely go back.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — Bar was closed for renovation
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BataviaMan1
England
Reviewed 12 August 2008

I had a business event at the Goring and was delighted by the service and accommodation. Firstly, I met with the Events Co-ordinator who stayed in touch with me throughout the planning and was there to meet me on arrival. Nothing is too much trouble and all of my delegates were equally impressed. Although there is some work going on at the moment the drilling was promptly ceased when I asked reception, as we could hear it in our meeting room. I am sure that the lounge area will be stunning when this work is completed. The hotel is immaculate and the rooms are beautiful. We did not dine in the restaurant but did have the fantastic breakfast the following morning, all of which is prepared to a very high standard. Thank you Goring for ensuring that we had a successful event!

Whether it be business or pleasure, the Goring will not disapoint.

• Liked — Huge bed - beautiful bathroom
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
6 Thank Foo66
London
Reviewed 21 July 2008

We loved this hotel. We only found friendly and courteous staff from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. No request was to much.
We loved the location too. It's close enough to everything, and we found it very quiet.
We will definitely be returning on our next trip.

• Liked — The luxury of it all.
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Travelingalbatros
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 20 July 2008

We first stayed here in 1996, as a prelude to travelling on the Orient Express from Victoria for our silver Wedding. It is ideally placed for Victoria and we were completely charmed by being greeted by name on arrival, by the spacious room and by the wonderfully courteous service. We have stayed here on another 5 occasions since (and used to be on their Christmas Card list). The room has never been as spacious or impressive as visit 1, although the cost remains high, but the charm of the staff is undiminished. We have never dined here but lunch and snacks are expensive. Breakfast (never included when we have stayed) is exemplary but very expensive. If we want to treat ourselves on a visit to London, we think of the Goring first. However, the small rooms we have had on the last couple of visits have dimmed our enthusiasm. I suspect that it is not too difficult to do better if looking for 5* accommodation in London in the 21st Century.

• Liked — Charm, servility
  • Disliked — Small rooms latterly
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family