“First class service”
Review of The Goring

The Goring
Ranked #8 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The occasion was a surprise weekend treat. From the outset the level of service was outstanding - extremely courteous and not at all overbearing - on par with some of the best hotels I have stayed in on business in the Far East. The room was very comfortable - the bed in particular. And the breakfast was first class with a wide range of starters and for our main some wonderful smoked haddock and poached eggs made to order. Afternoon drinks in the rear garden were accompanied by endless supplies of freshly-made nibbles.

I have rarely felt more relaxed and comfortable in a hotel.

This very elegant and English hotel made for the perfect visit to London.

Room Tip: Ideally, get a room overlooking the garden. Note that rooms do not have a fridge or coffee machine b...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jarowatkins
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear jarowatkins,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your recent surprise celebratory stay at The Goring.

It was wonderful to read that you found our service to outstanding from the moment you arrived to the moment you sadly left. It is always lovely to hear that a guest has enjoyed every part of the hotel from their room to our Garden, Lounge Bar and Dining Room.

As you mention, we do not provide a fridge or coffee making facilities in the room as standard as we feel that while you are with us you should not have to lift a finger for yourself. However, we are certainly happy to provide both of these on request so please do let the team know on your next stay if you would like this arranged.

Many thanks again for taking the time to write and we all very much look forward hopefully to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I live in London, so have never had the need to stay at The Goring - but I suppose that shouldn't stop me! I have, however, been visiting the restaurant on and off for a number of years. It is quite simply the place I always choose to go for a special occasion - and quite a few ordinary ones too!

Of course I visit other restaurants, but they never, in my opinion, measure up to the 'Goring Experience'. What is great about the place is that the quality speaks for itself. The staff don't need 'attitude' to convince you that the place is special; they are ruthlessly efficient but always with an easy manner and relaxed style.

To be able to sit on the terrace overlooking the garden in the warmer weather with a glass of champagne while perusing the restaurant menu is just sublime. In the winter, the bar and adjoining lounge rich, cosy and welcoming.

If running a restaurant is like good theatre - The Goring Dining Room is 'the National'. The setting, service and food are always excellent and you are made to feel that you are special.

If I am pressed to come up with anywhere I like as much, it would be Gleneagles - a similar philosophy, in my opinion.

Room Tip: If the public areas of the hotel are anything to go by - I'd be surprised if they had a bad one!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Chgough

Dear Chgough.

Thank you for your wonderful review of your many visits to The Goring.

I was thrilled to read that we are always your choice for a special occasion as well as many ordinary ones too! It fills me with joy to hear that you are made to feel special on each and every visit. It is so important to us that our guests are made to feel relaxed and at home at The Goring whilst receiving top notch service and I believe it is the manner and attitude of the team here that really create this experience.

On behalf of all the team here, we look forward to welcoming you and making you feel special on many occasions for years to come.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We organised a corporate incentive here. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming and all sounded like they had all had elocution lessons! We were very well looked after from the moment we arrived. The staff take you in to the lounge area to check you in which was a very nice touch. They also get you a tea and coffee if your room isnt ready yet. You are not allowed to use phones or laptops in the lounge or bar so if you are planning to work you might have to sit and relax instead. The lounge gets very busy with people for afternoon tea.

The food was wonderful although our starter was a little undercooked so most people left this. The main course and dessert was wonderful though. We sued the Archive room for pre-dinner drinks and dinner and it has its own private courtyard leading onto the garden.

It was a beautiful room and in face the whole hotel was beautiful. You really did feel like you were a name, not a number and that you were being thoroughly spoilt and looked after. All the rooms we saw were excellent so I cant imagine there is a bad room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank melanie_court

Dear melanie_court,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay at The Goring.

I am delighted to hear that from the moment you arrived you felt welcomed by our friendly staff who really do enjoy getting to know each of our guests by name. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our Archive Room, it really as a very unique room with the private courtyard leading out to The Goring Garden. It is always lovely to hear that a guest has been able to make the most of so many areas of the hotel.

Many thanks again for taking the time to write and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon so we can thoroughly spoil you once again.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

The welcome is warm. The restaurant is welcoming. Room to breathe between tables. Service immaculate. Restaurant food in even great hotels can be dull. No such dullness here. You have got to have the lobster omlette and duck fat chips. There is of course the dish of the day, which was steak and kidney pudding which one of us consumed with relish. The restaurant was full at lunch time so please be sure to book well in advance. you do not have to take out a second mortgage to enjoy the set menu which was also excellent.
Make sure to watch Poirot before you go, the atmosphere is unstintingly grand hotel with the sophisticated march into the twenty first century
Bon appetit Hercule.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank bubbabear174

Dear bubbabear 174,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your luncheon in The Goring Dining Room.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our warm welcome and found the service to be immaculate. The lobster omelette with duck fat chips is a long standing speciality of The Goring and a firm favourite of mine.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring hopefully in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed here for an evening in July, and it won't be the last time! Nothing is too much trouble for the attentive staff, wonderfully comfortable rooms and the perfect location from which to explore the capital. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HillKent
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear HillKent,

Thank you for your "simply excellent" review of your recent stay at The Goring.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed both your room and our wonderfully central location. I am particularly pleased to hear that the team here made you feel as though nothing was too much trouble. This truly is the experience we wish all of our guests to have and it is our pleasure to provide this.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future and perhaps for a longer stay to further explore London from your home at The Goring.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I had lunch with auntie when she came back from Russia. The interior looked like an Edwardian place. For lunch I had chirps and smoke salmon sandwich. The chirps was tasty! The salmon was the best salmon I every tasted, it was delicious! Overall, best hotel in London.

Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Lulutheblackcat
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear princess0831

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your lunch at The Goring.

I was delighted to read your review of your time with us and thrilled that you consider The Goring the best in London. A Goring Sandwich with delicious chips in our Lounge Bar is one of life’s simple pleasures in my opinion.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel so that you can enjoy another sample of our excellent service and food.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

True traditional luxury on a smaller and quieter scale. Service food ambiance could not be improved . Nothing was better in London than to site in the lounge and sip a good single malt in the evening, could only wish I was allowed to smoke a good cigar - but I suppose we must make allowance for these modern times. Don't miss the sheep.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jonesev

Dear jonesev,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your stay at The Goring.

I was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the traditional luxury which emanates at The Goring. I have to agree that a drink in our Lounge Bar is the perfect way to spend an evening in London. We do have a selection of cigars on offer and, although unfortunately these cannot be enjoyed inside, perhaps you will be able to enjoy one of these in our lovely garden on your next visit.

Many thanks again for your kind words and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon for you to enjoy many more leisurely evenings in our Lounge Bar.